LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Surf and College?

Thinking about a few colleges...UNCW, Coastal Carolina, Stockton, TCNJ maybe... Does anyone have any recommendations for a good surf community school or with surf teams/etc. Just looking for a school that has a large population of similar minded beach goers, spongers, surfers... Not looking to go any further than SC and East Coast preferably. Thanks oh and I live in NJ near Manasquan if that gives better insight.

HAh. Why in the hell would you waste your money on a surf trip to somewhere thats no better than the northeastern seaboard in the winter and is even colder? Couldnt be to avoid crowds...In the WINTER! Go to PUERTO RICO or BARBADOS.

Images
    Come to UNCW and you will have no regrets. 10-15 min. from the beach, warm most of the year, and lots of people who actually surf. Even when there aren't waves I still make it to the beach 3-4 times a week. I love it here and definitely made the right choice staying in Wilmington.

When I was at the University of Rhode Island there was a fairly sizable group of people and they had a surf club. For a super small state it packs a pretty nice array of quality breaks in. I went to grad school at Monmouth and it opened me up to a lot of different spots in that area that I'm sure you're already familiar with. Just make sure you can afford either- get lots of scholarships if you can.

and ps if you're looking for quality waves i would stay away from Coastal Carolina-- from what i've read and my own experience SC just doesn't have very many quality waves

I did not go to UNCW, but I live in Wilmington. UNCW has a top tier surf team and the area beaches have really great vibes. National Geographic recently came out with a list of the Top 20 Surf Towns - WB made the cut, among other world renown breaks. Wilmington gets its fair share of waves & OBX is only a few hours away. Excellent community and great people. You will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    I did not go to UNCW, but I live in Wilmington. UNCW has a top tier surf team and the area beaches have really great vibes. National Geographic recently came out with a list of the Top 20 Surf Towns - WB made the cut, among other world renown breaks. Wilmington gets its fair share of waves & OBX is only a few hours away. Excellent community and great people. You will not regret it.
    ^What he said. If work and family commitments didn't keep me here, I could move to Wilmington in a second. I always look forward to visiting my friends there.

you can get plenty of waves in south carolina and still get your work done...which should be your priority if you're going to even bother spending your money to go to college.

Myrtle beach is one of the least consistent and smaller waved beaches in SC, but the college of charleston is only 20 min from the folly pier and just a few more to the washout (a few jetties to choose from and spread out any crowd).

The another good thing about SC is the weather. The water can get down to 45 deg for a while in the peak of winter, but air temps rarely get below 45 deg.

Rhode Island colleges...i go to RWU. theres also uri and salve regina. all about 20 min away from good beaches except salve which is on 1st beach in newport

I go to Stockton, and while there is no surf club, there are a lot of us who surf the many locations close to campus. There are so many great places to surf. Besides the fact that Stockton has a great Environmental Science program and that I am going to school for half price, the proximity to the beach was the deciding factor for me going here. It was my only choice; I didn't apply anywhere else. It's the cheapest option as opposed to moving out of state, but this is just my two cents.