LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    romney 2012

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    since this has evolved into the CB thread: i just went out at Pelican Watch...big and clean and gnarly on the inside, sea and sky are gray and ominous...no one out as far as the eye can see...i normally like surfing alone, but not today. caught a nice one and decided to leave it at that for the night. because one wave is a whole lot better than none...
    The CB thread...nice. I just made it back to the house. Looking out there right now - pretty choppy, but some nice faces every now and then. Looking forward to a cleaner tomorrow - most likely Sunday or Monday. Stay safe ya'll.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    romney 2012
    which romney? today's romney? last week's romney? the pre-convention romney? so many romneys, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    "When the common good of a society is regarded as something apart from and superior to the individual good of its members, it means that the good of some men takes precedence over the good of others, with those others consigned to the status of sacrificial animals." Ayn Rand

'Taking your money under threat of violence is evil whether it's done by the thug or the government' aka pumpmaster
    Wait, there's an election? Didn't we just have one of those 4 years ago, why do we need another one?

"Government is instituted for the common good; for the protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness of the people; and not for profit, honor, or private interest of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, the people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government; and to reform, alter, or totally change the same, when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it."
    ~John Adams

“Duty, then is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.“
    Robert E. Lee

“Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.“
    Douglas MacArthur

“We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”
    Benjamin Franklin

“To the efficacy and permanency of your Union, a government for the whole is indispensable. No alliance, however strict, between the parts can be an adequate substitute; they must inevitably experience the infractions and interruptions which all alliances in all times have experienced. Sensible of this momentous truth, you have improved upon your first essay, by the adoption of a constitution of government better calculated than your former for an intimate union, and for the efficacious management of your common concerns. This government, the offspring of our own choice, uninfluenced and unawed, adopted upon full investigation and mature deliberation, completely free in its principles, in the distribution of its powers, uniting security with energy, and containing within itself a provision for its own amendment, has a just claim to your confidence and your support. Respect for its authority, compliance with its laws, acquiescence in its measures, are duties enjoined by the fundamental maxims of true liberty. The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their constitutions of government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all. The very idea of the power and the right of the people to establish government presupposes the duty of every individual to obey the established government.”
    George Washington

Duty: obligatory tasks, conduct, service, or functions that arise from one's position (as in life or in a group)

Ayn Rand and her Nietzsche-ian view can’t hold a candle to the words of true patriots. All who knew, individually we are weak, collectively we are strong and in times of crisis, the needs of the many do indeed outweigh the good of the individual. Ayn Rand was no American patriot. Nor did she believe that the individual had any obligation to any other individual, collective or government; which in my personal moral philosophy is wrong. I truly believe that we are put on this earth to make it a better place for our children, our neighbors, our communities and to help those less fortunate than ourselves. I try to do that. Admittedly, this is a very different place than Adams & Washington envisioned, but I cannot believe that Rand’s philosophies are the answer. I don’t like paying taxes either Pump and I sure do believe that we need a smaller central government and need to reduce the debt; but espousing the ideology that the individual is more important than our society at large is short sighted. “. . .secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity” Sometimes doing what’s best for future generations isn’t in the individual’s best interest.

Also, what’s CB and how’s this thread turned into it?

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Also, what’s CB and how’s this thread turned into it?
    Carolina Beach is a beach on Pleasure Island, NC. Is 'beach' too redundant?

The OP was about the "stadium tax" - a hot political topic in the Wilmington area.

Individually it's One Person, One Vote. Collectively we vote to shape our nation.

Political beliefs aside, our government is like any other system: you put sheet in, you get sheet out. Hell, let's think about entropy for a moment. Voting turnout has been farking dismal for farking decades, the situation our nation is in is a DIRECT result IMO. So get you, your lazy ass friends and their lazy ass friends and go VOTE!

Gaffer: CB = Carolina Beach, NC. They're talking about a new proposed development on a sizeable piece of land that has laid fallow for years due to a developer's bankruptcy. I don't know the details, but I think there was a zoning issue and maybe some other local government involvement and/or lack thereof that has affected the land's development.

And Jesus Christo, Wilmington is a multi hundred million dollar a year small city and Mandalay is a multi billion dollar a year corporation. There is absolutely no reason they could not write a freaking check to fund the proposed stadium entirely if it is that "great" of an investment.

(this thread is probably headed toward deletion)

Man, I didn't see your post before I wrote that Mr. Rouen

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    CB = Carolina Beach, NC. They're talking about a new proposed development on a sizeable piece of land that has laid fallow for years due to a developer's bankruptcy. I don't know the details, but I think there was a zoning issue and maybe some other local government involvement and/or lack thereof that has affected the land's development.
    Not really following you on the "new proposed development" & "bankruptcy" claims. Carolina Beach's history dates back to the 1800's. Fort Fisher (the southern most section of PI) played an integral role in the Civil War, as did the surrounding area (KB, Snow's Cut & CB) - there is a lot of history here that should not be written off. Unfortunately, I work in Wilmington; otherwise, I would never leave. I can walk/bike everywhere & there is a very good vibe around town. Plus, Fat Pelican is in Carolina Beach - enough said.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Unfortunately, I work in Wilmington; otherwise, I would never leave. I can walk/bike everywhere & there is a very good vibe around town. Plus, Fat Pelican is in Carolina Beach - enough said.
    no kidding - the hardest part about living here is having to get up on a weekday morning, put on pants and shoes, and go up to Wilmington to be an adult.

10. Green party *****es!!!!!!!!!!!!!