LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. You gonna trust these deush bags from congress \

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Individually it's One Person, One Vote. Collectively we vote to shape our nation.

Political beliefs aside, our government is like any other system: you put sheet in, you get sheet out. Hell, let's think about entropy for a moment. Voting turnout has been farking dismal for farking decades, the situation our nation is in is a DIRECT result IMO. So get you, your lazy ass friends and their lazy ass friends and go VOTE!

Gaffer: CB = Carolina Beach, NC. They're talking about a new proposed development on a sizeable piece of land that has laid fallow for years due to a developer's bankruptcy. I don't know the details, but I think there was a zoning issue and maybe some other local government involvement and/or lack thereof that has affected the land's development.

And Jesus Christo, Wilmington is a multi hundred million dollar a year small city and Mandalay is a multi billion dollar a year corporation. There is absolutely no reason they could not write a freaking check to fund the proposed stadium entirely if it is that "great" of an investment.

(this thread is probably headed toward deletion)
    Pecto Park is a great example of behind the scenes shennanigans combined with the complicity of our local newspaper (fark The 3rd estate once it's been co-opted), elected officials, the improper use of eminent domain and the collusion of the heads of the public unions with a certain business magnate/slash former owner, that directly resulted in San Diego's current fiscal mess. It wasn't the collapse of the real estate bubble, that was only the tipping point. Beware good people of Wilmington, do you really need a mono-rail, cough, I mean new stadium? I may not cast a true ballot for the President anymore, but I sure do love to give my local pols the biz. I'm unfamiliar with your issue eRock, but I do believe you mentioned Steve Wynn. I find it pretty baffling that sports teams, some of which generate 100's of millions in revenue annually, cannot find the private capital funding for arenas and instead must rely on public bond measures in order to build them. Then they are granted tax benefits that far exceed those of other businesses. Bread and circuses. You 're right about the whole garbage in-garbage out. Pecto Park has never generated the revenue that our civic leaders promised it would.

John Adams said so many other things I love, as did Jefferson. Here are two I think have particular relevance:

Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts and murders itself. There was never a democracy that did not commit suicide.

All the perplexities, confusion, and distress in America arise, not from want of honor or virtue, but from the downright ignorance of the nature of coin, credit, and circulation.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    Not really following you on the "new proposed development" & "bankruptcy" claims. Carolina Beach's history dates back to the 1800's. Fort Fisher (the southern most section of PI) played an integral role in the Civil War, as did the surrounding area (KB, Snow's Cut & CB) - there is a lot of history here that should not be written off. Unfortunately, I work in Wilmington; otherwise, I would never leave. I can walk/bike everywhere & there is a very good vibe around town. Plus, Fat Pelican is in Carolina Beach - enough said.
    I'm speaking specifically about the land that once was Jubilee Park and the reasons the land was never developed after they demolished the park. I'm not sure how, but it seems you took it as a slight towards the history of the area--not my intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    I'm speaking specifically about the land that once was Jubilee Park and the reasons the land was never developed after they demolished the park. I'm not sure how, but it seems you took it as a slight towards the history of the area--not my intent.
    I totally overlooked that one - sorry about that one. The Jubilee saga is pretty unfortunate. A northern real estate mogul purchased the land in hopes of developing the land. Project discussions ranged from an amusement park to a condominium complex. Well, the original purchaser died, leaving his beneficiaries a sizable monetary estate & the land. Unfortunately, the family has little interest in developing the land and they want an overinflated premium for it - it is basically untouchable. So now, the area looks like a ghost town and the old Food Lion shopping center is no more. The Ferris (Jubilee) family was so proud of their attraction. It's a shame that it's turned into what it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    NICE!! I have Common Sense on the Kindle
    your boy is currently reading it as we speak. The REAL T-Paine is my boy.

The stadium proposition is ridiculous also. Erock i'm on your side.

and dlrouen, I just can't wait until trader joe's and chipotle open. even though they couldnt have picked a worse spot for trader joes being at s. college and orelander

Quote Originally Posted by GnarActually View Post
    and dlrouen, I just can't wait until trader joe's and chipotle open. even though they couldnt have picked a worse spot for trader joes being at s. college and orelander
    I'm pretty pumped for Trader Joe's & Chipotle too. I'll be making the drive.

Images
    for CB'ers - 4 pm Saturday off the end of Tiki Bar - 6'-8' and pretty clean:

"It's not your vote that counts, it's who counts your vote"

Joseph Stalin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    for CB'ers - 4 pm Saturday off the end of Tiki Bar - 6'-8' and pretty clean:
    "dude i bet you cant do an air over the pilings man.."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    "dude i bet you cant do an air over the pilings man.."
    that left is makeable in front of those pilings....but there's a line of jagged broken pilings below the surface that you have to cut across along the way. not a good place to bail or try anything you aren't absolutely sure you can make.

edit: more from CB:

According to dispatchers, a 911 call was made around 4 p.m. saying that a surfer had gone under water and had not come up. As of 4:30 p.m., rescuers were still on the scene, but had not been able to find anybody.
    ah, that sucks - hope it's a false alarm....
    Last edited by hanna; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM.