LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

starting to shortboard?

Hi there, I posted awhile back about riding unbroken waves on my 8'8 longboard. I have fixed the problem and almost never pearl. I also have taken drops fairly well My next question is that my friend has a 6'8 shortboard that he said i can use on sunday (there's supposed to be a nice swell moving through on that day). Should i attempt the shortboard? or just stick with my longboarding for right now?

Images
    dont do it

Not a good idea. Stick with the equipment you are good with. Start shortboarding on a smaller day when it is safer. Be careful regardless if this is your first real hurricane.

So the first time you are ever going to try to ride a short board will be during a hurricane swell? I dunno man, doesn't seem smart. I can tell you going from a 9' LB to a 7'4" FB took a bit of practice. If you are going straight to a SB, I would wait for calmer conditions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rms126 View Post
    Hi there, I posted awhile back about riding unbroken waves on my 8'8 longboard. I have fixed the problem and almost never pearl. I also have taken drops fairly well My next question is that my friend has a 6'8 shortboard that he said i can use on sunday (there's supposed to be a nice swell moving through on that day). Should i attempt the shortboard? or just stick with my longboarding for right now?
    you should start shortboarding today. and post pics, please.

I think one of the hardest things to learn in this life is patience. The same holds true with surfing. Standing up on a board in the white wash is easy, but that’s not SURFING. Really surfing and then getting good at it requires discipline, hard work and lots and lots of patience. It is not a quick nor easy road. Patience while surfing comes in many forms. Letting the surfer with superior position take the wave, getting into the best spot to catch the wave, knowing when to let a wave pass by, not taking off after every one of ‘em, not going after closeouts. As you progress in surfing and start paying more attention to the people around you who are good at it and begin to try to mimic them, you’ll notice that they all do the things I described above. For me, patience these days consists of taking one calm breath and centering myself mentally, right before I drop in. This occurs in the instant after I know that I have “caught the wave” and right before I pop up. I find that taking the extra breath calms my adrenaline fueled exuberance and allows me to clear my mind and focus everything on the wave, before I even start riding it. It is the same thing as holding your breath before squeezing the trigger.

Another thing that comes with time is knowing when you’ve bit off more than you can chew. An experienced surfer looks at a break and knows the best spot to paddle out, where he or she will catch their wave and how they will ride it before they ever even get wet. This can all change on the fly, but this knowledge and the ability to adapt to the inevitable changes required only comes with experience. Can you do all that yet? Experienced surfers also know when not to paddle out. This is a hard thing to learn as it requires knowing and coming to terms with your own limitations, abilities and skill level. Going from longboarding to shortboarding takes time and a lot of hard work. Just sitting on a shortboard is completely different. The first time you try it, you’ll be slipping and sliding and that board will be flying out from under you and all over the place; just like everyone of us the first time we tried it. Surfing waves that will be bigger than anything you’ve ever surfed, which based on your previous posts, this storm is guaranteed to be, is a whole different ball game. Trying to do that on a board type you have no experience with would be extremely difficult, most likely foolish and possibly dangerous. Longboarding big waves, that’s no simple task either and requires a whole different skill set, can you duck dive a 9’6” through a breaking overhead set? If not, my advice is don’t paddle out, you’re not ready. If you do, don’t take your buddy’s board, you’ll break it. learn how to sit on a short board first. Then learn how to duck dive. Then catch a few waves on it on a nice easy day with some decent surf. Catch a few hundred waves on it. Then paddle out in the big stuff. This is good advice, trust me.

However, when I was learning how to surf, I would NOT have taken it. I just paddled out in sh!1 I never should have and was too stupid not too and got beat up and broke boards and was (and still am) a KING of KOOKs. If you’re gonna be dumb you better be tough. Good Luck. Wish I was gonna be there.

as a noob myself i would say no. i'm gonna wait maybe till the swell goes down maybe wed/thurs if the conditions are cleaner. going from 8 foot foamie to 7'8" funboard i have to work on my popup all over again, its a lot less stable.
    Last edited by bilthy; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

As long as the waves aren't crazy big, I would say go for it! There's no better time than the present to learn. You'll probably get your ass kicked but so what?! If it is big, then you're better off with a short board for duck diving purposes anyways. Like zaGaffer, I always paddled out in the big stuff when I was learning to surf. It was definitely stupid, but it also helped my progression. One of my biggest challenges surfing has always been getting psyched out about surfing big waves. But every time I go out there in challenging conditions I progress. Obviously be smart and go with someone who is more experienced, but don't miss out on good waves because you don't think you're ready to rip it yet.

You should not paddle out on anything during the solid part of this swell... Like Gaffer said you need to know your limits. There will be many more experienced surfers on the beach for this one. Because they know they are not ready for it... If you really just learned to stand up and not pearl, dont go in. You will get rocked and possibly worse. Just the paddle will be too much.... And I'm not being a dic to a newbie. I'd hate for you to get seriously hurt.
    You seem stoked on surfing. Stick with it and soon enough you will be ready soon enough

I have been long boarding for a year. Four foot waves are my limit. I can spot the wave paddle for it and pop up quickly to ride it in, and bottom turn. Thats it for my skills, but then again I started at age 60.

Some of my buddies use body boards and can do much larger waves. Therefore, I bought a 5'10 soft top short board and I use it for bigger waves by riding it on belly. It's a totally different sport. You catch the wAve different than long board. I also have only been able to pop up twice, whereas on long board I catch wave after wave and pop up.

This Sunday will be 10 foot, clean light breeze NW. Too big for me. I am not ashamed to say we will all go anyway and catch the whitewater after the wave breaks. It's way more fun than heading to a movie or anything else. That's what I would do if I were you too.