LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki Barrels View Post
    yankee: Let me know if you find out any info on Assateague. Ocean City flooded over, so I'm sure the ocean met the bay down there too, hopefully it didn't wipe out the offroad section.

Hope everybody is OK up north, that was one hell of a storm. Good Luck.
    Assateague National Park was closed again today. NPS personnel at the entrance in a truck making sure that no one goes through. One of the NPS guys I spoke with said that crews are clearing out debris & sand on the roadways. He confirmed that the ocean & the bay did join up in 3 or 4 places during Sandy. He also said that North Beach may be open on Friday Nov 2. It's day-to-day, depends on the pace of the clean up.

Assateague State Park is open. Erosion is noticeable on the dunes. The bars seem re-arranged to some degree. The surf was exactly as predicted by SI; looked pretty good but it was mushy for much of the day; got better towards sunset today with nice clean sets rolling in, although most of the bigger stuff was dumping closeouts. Actually was fun waves out there today. Water seemed clean.

BTW, the Assateague wild horses were quite evident slowly walking through the state beach parking lot. I gotta say, it's amazing to me that those guys survive natural events like this. Maybe some horses didn't make it? Anyways, we were wondering how they survive in the maw of a hell storm like Sandy. Tough critters.

Continued rough news from guys in NYC (Breezy Pt) and NJ. Discouraging stuff. Just hoping that things steadily improve up there.

Sorry for those of you in New York/New Jersey and elsewhere who have to pretty much sit this one out or clean up one beach well enough to surf. It's hard to sit out during the fall swell season. In New England, we've had a slow-fade of nice windswell/groundswell with clean offshores (at least at E and NE facing beaches). Probably large swell and mixed wind conditions at the south-facers.
    So Sandy really delivered fabulous surf with plenty of solid 13s+ sets sprinkled in there. Those of you struggling will have to wait a while, perhaps even beyond this upcoming week's noreaster which will be kind of sloppy in the mid-atlantic area, which is too bad. Hang in there and hopefully you can get the most important beaches cleaned up some. Perhaps some of the beaches cannot be surfed for a long time - you may have to travel somewhere else for a while.
    I won't say I took Sandy's panties off but at least got on top of some nice mounds of perfection.

PS Good luck with the cleanup and my prayers to the injured and deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliaep View Post
    NOAA has satellite imagery of hurricane damage along the NJ Shore.

Here's the link:

http://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/sandy/
    I found this as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/...-after-photos/

Quite sobering. 8th pic down is OC, MD, not OC, NJ. Anyway, I'll be donating to the Red Cross today.

just found out we got cable back this afternoon...been out since sunday night. i've got a ton of pics of ocnj that i'll post up after i've cleaned myself up & had some food & a beer. i haven't even thought about surfing; the town is such a wreck that after cleaning up my fro-in-law's property & my own, i've been spending my time helping others.
    jerseyites are tough folk; we'll recover & be as good as new. it might take a while, but we'll get there.
    for those of you asking how the waves are & when you can get back on the islands: hopefully it's not to gawk & rubberneck at the devastation; we really don't need those types here.

My prayers go out to all who were devastated by this storm. .lend a hand if you can or donate to the red cross.This is not the time to surf.

monday morning high tide:
    view from my front step

backyard/garage door:

mid-afternoon low tide:

monday evening:

i couldn't take anymore pictures monday night as the flash on my phone sucks. the water came up a LOT higher, as you'll see. we never got any serious water in the house, a 1/2" or so in the laundry room, which is 6-8" lower than the rest of the house. the garage, however, had about 3ft in it. it could've been a lot worse...been w/out cable, but never lost power.

aftermath: