LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I have two coastal properties and have been through my share of hassles dealing with insurance companies. The last time I finally was so fed up with the whole game I hired an attorney right out of the gate to handle the whole matter. I never thought that was a good idea because I would be paying them and cutting into my rebuilding fund, however, they fight like hell for you (and themselves because most work off of a percentage of the total claim) and because of this most of the time you probably come out ahead even after their cut. Not really applicable for a claim on a car only but if there is significant property and damage at stake it might be worth checking in to.

Been there before and will be there again. Take one day at a time and things will be better than they were before the storm one day.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by austinj215 View Post
    I actually live right off of the island but left on Sunday... My roommates going back tomorrow and if it's accessible I'll be back down too and let you know then. They keep showing pictures of the north end of the AC boardwalk being destroyed but it's been falling apart for years.
    yup, those pieces floating down Atlantic Ave were from that stretch along Maine Ave that was already in ruins...

i'm curious as to how the Ventnor and AC beachfronts held up - those dunes were added some years ago (not sure when - the 90's, i think) and a lot of people have been fighting against the building of the dunes since day 1 - blocks the view from the boardwalk etc etc. be interesting to see how it worked out when the real deal came along.

I used Matson to ship my car from Kauai to Oakland ( was born and raised in Kauai). The first time I drove my car throughout the entire United States. The car was a Honda Element with a camping kit, so I saved a lot of money by not going to stay in hotels.

The next time I did the same after my parents moved on the east coast. Ended up on an epic surfing adventure.

The car ended up getting hit by a surge that knocked it right out of my driveway. I chased it for a bit, but said, whatever. I tried to Kayak to find the car today, but no luck. The car is buried at sea.

State Farm is moving slowly on this claim due to all the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    I used Matson to ship my car from Kauai to Oakland ( was born and raised in Kauai). The first time I drove my car throughout the entire United States. The car was a Honda Element with a camping kit, so I saved a lot of money by not going to stay in hotels.

The next time I did the same after my parents moved on the east coast. Ended up on an epic surfing adventure.

The car ended up getting hit by a surge that knocked it right out of my driveway. I chased it for a bit, but said, whatever. I tried to Kayak to find the car today, but no luck. The car is buried at sea.

State Farm is moving slowly on this claim due to all the loss.
    Wow that's really cool I'm sorry for your loss... I laughed when you said that "you chased it for a bit." Hopefully you'll be able to get a new Honda Element cause they are awesome.

@Hanna. Tried to get back today to Ventnor but all bridges are closed (the cops said for at least a few more days).... crazy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by austinj215 View Post
    Wow that's really cool I'm sorry for your loss... I laughed when you said that "you chased it for a bit." Hopefully you'll be able to get a new Honda Element cause they are awesome.

@Hanna. Tried to get back today to Ventnor but all bridges are closed (the cops said for at least a few more days).... crazy
    i heard you're not even allowed to go from AC to Ventnor - which basically means you're not allowed to cross Jackson Ave.

i understand that Margate never allowed dune restoration, unlike AC & Ventnor - be interesting to see who came out of Sandy in better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    i understand that Margate never allowed dune restoration, unlike AC & Ventnor - be interesting to see who came out of Sandy in better shape.
    From what I'm hearing, the dunes did help a bit in Ventnor. Everything I'm hearing is second hand right now, though. This waiting is killing us. We want to get in there and start cleaning up!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rickward View Post
    From what I'm hearing, the dunes did help a bit in Ventnor. Everything I'm hearing is second hand right now, though. This waiting is killing us. We want to get in there and start cleaning up!
    i'd be going f*@&ing bananas if i was stuck offshore in that situation. i was thinking about it today -with all the bridges closed, couldn't a creative, motivated individual find a way across the bay, via boat, kayak, SUP etc ?