LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

rockaway reports

would love to hear from any members who live out in the rockaways. many of us spend so much time out there but don't live there and are worried about our local friends. the pictures are mindblowing and i just can't believe a place i love so much got hit so hard. hope all you folks missed the worst of it. post any suggestions for ways we can help. -t
    Last edited by travy; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Rockaway

Rockaway is my home break I surf it all year round but live in woodhaven. I drive down woodhaven and over the crossbay bridge to get to the beach. As of yesterday the crossbay bridge is still closed. I drove around and went in from far rock. Rockaway at about 75th street down to 90th( that was as far as I could go) is horrible. the boardwalk has been washed down streets 2 or 3 blocks power lines down. There is any where from6 inches. To 4 feet of sand. Most houses are destroyed including cars. I decided to turn my Crv around when I was unable to get past 90th because of down wires and boardwalks blocking the roads I was sad to even see looting as people where breaking into stores for food.

I drove down the day before to rise park all the way to Lido on long beach. This is going to take a very long time and we are going to need to come together as Americans to over come this.

We need to start something to help rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by highvelocity View Post
    Rockaway is my home break I surf it all year round but live in woodhaven. I drive down woodhaven and over the crossbay bridge to get to the beach. As of yesterday the crossbay bridge is still closed. I drove around and went in from far rock. Rockaway at about 75th street down to 90th( that was as far as I could go) is horrible. the boardwalk has been washed down streets 2 or 3 blocks power lines down. There is any where from6 inches. To 4 feet of sand. Most houses are destroyed including cars. I decided to turn my Crv around when I was unable to get past 90th because of down wires and boardwalks blocking the roads I was sad to even see looting as people where breaking into stores for food.

I drove down the day before to rise park all the way to Lido on long beach. This is going to take a very long time and we are going to need to come together as Americans to over come this.

We need to start something to help rebuilding
    thanks for the report. wow, just unbelievable to think the boardwalk is gone.. i agree we should all look for ways to help. many people like me are out there all the time and would love to help somehow.

anyone know where i could paddle out at long beach or rockaways? or even at least to check it out hows the bridges are they open/closed? anyone have eyes on the ocean right now that can give me an update on what its looking like?

Conditions are still horrible for surfing bad wind very sloppy with tons of current. Then you need to think about all the other **** in the water. I would also think about what the people would think about you as you go to surf while they are rebuilding there lives. I would say no surfing for a week. on the other hand next week is loping epic but its to soon to tell. I will be cleaning up in breezy on saterday. This is something we all need to do the northeast is in horrible shape and the only way it will get better is when we all pitch together.

I was listening to NPR's Morning Edition on my way into work this morning and this story came on: http://www.npr.org/2012/11/01/164080...uture-flooding

They basically want to build a massive sea wall from Sandy Hook to Rockaway. Figured you guys might be interested since those are your breaks.

7. oh man sea walls are devastating to ocean beaches lets hope they don't do this. we wont have a rockaway beach anymore if they make the disicion to.

Images
    from ny to md needs a seawall

All you surfers up there in the devastated areas are probably in good shape as most surfers are. I believe your abilities would be far better served by staying out of the water for a while and lending a hand to others who cannot physically do things by themselves. No, I am not there, I am in VA, but looking at news reports and photos there is alot that you men could help with. Should you venture into the ocean be extremely careful and cognizant of your surrroundings. My first hand knowledge of hurricanes down this way for the last 35 years has proven MANY piling and wood do not float, they are submerged just below the surface making them difficult if not impossible to see. One piling and you're done. Not preaching here, but I do not wish any harm to anyone.

Images
    A seawall like the one that is built in sea bright and did nothing to prevent the destruction that occurred?