LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    rockaway reports

    would love to hear from any members who live out in the rockaways. many of us spend so much time out there but don't live there and are worried about our local friends. the pictures are mindblowing and i just can't believe a place i love so much got hit so hard. hope all you folks missed the worst of it. post any suggestions for ways we can help. -t
    Last edited by travy; Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

  2. #2

    Rockaway

    Rockaway is my home break I surf it all year round but live in woodhaven. I drive down woodhaven and over the crossbay bridge to get to the beach. As of yesterday the crossbay bridge is still closed. I drove around and went in from far rock. Rockaway at about 75th street down to 90th( that was as far as I could go) is horrible. the boardwalk has been washed down streets 2 or 3 blocks power lines down. There is any where from6 inches. To 4 feet of sand. Most houses are destroyed including cars. I decided to turn my Crv around when I was unable to get past 90th because of down wires and boardwalks blocking the roads I was sad to even see looting as people where breaking into stores for food.

    I drove down the day before to rise park all the way to Lido on long beach. This is going to take a very long time and we are going to need to come together as Americans to over come this.

    We need to start something to help rebuilding

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by highvelocity View Post
    Rockaway is my home break I surf it all year round but live in woodhaven. I drive down woodhaven and over the crossbay bridge to get to the beach. As of yesterday the crossbay bridge is still closed. I drove around and went in from far rock. Rockaway at about 75th street down to 90th( that was as far as I could go) is horrible. the boardwalk has been washed down streets 2 or 3 blocks power lines down. There is any where from6 inches. To 4 feet of sand. Most houses are destroyed including cars. I decided to turn my Crv around when I was unable to get past 90th because of down wires and boardwalks blocking the roads I was sad to even see looting as people where breaking into stores for food.

    I drove down the day before to rise park all the way to Lido on long beach. This is going to take a very long time and we are going to need to come together as Americans to over come this.

    We need to start something to help rebuilding
    thanks for the report. wow, just unbelievable to think the boardwalk is gone.. i agree we should all look for ways to help. many people like me are out there all the time and would love to help somehow.

  4. #4
    anyone know where i could paddle out at long beach or rockaways? or even at least to check it out hows the bridges are they open/closed? anyone have eyes on the ocean right now that can give me an update on what its looking like?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    central li, topsail island nc
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeypunch View Post
    anyone know where i could paddle out at long beach or rockaways? or even at least to check it out hows the bridges are they open/closed? anyone have eyes on the ocean right now that can give me an update on what its looking like?
    have fun in the sewage... u deserve to get hit by a floating telephone pole

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Long Buried Island
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    have fun in the sewage... u deserve to get hit by a floating telephone pole
    Honestly bro, its not worth it. Between the debris, sewage, depressed scene near the beaches your are better off not showing for at least a couple of weeks.

    Oops, I responded to the wrong post....I meant to respond to donkeypunch
    Last edited by Sniffer; Nov 9, 2012 at 05:35 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    have fun in the sewage... u deserve to get hit by a floating telephone pole
    I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.
    How does someone surfing affect the damage to the area? How is it insulting to anyone? So no one should do any hobby? Surfing is a hobby. No going to the gym? No playing any sports? How exactly does that help anyone? If my home was destroyed there I could honestly careless if some guy is surfing in the water. It would have ZERO effect on my home. Really a silly comparison. I think only some surfers think like this. Not your average homeowner. They'd probably just think you're crazy because its so cold out. lol
    That being said, I hope everyone heeded evac orders and stayed safe and I feel for people who lost their homes. That sucks big time.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 9, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    How does someone surfing affect the damage to the area? How is it insulting to anyone? So no one should do any hobby? Surfing is a hobby. No going to the gym? No playing any sports? How exactly does that help anyone? If my home was destroyed there I could honestly careless if some guy is surfing in the water. It would have ZERO effect on my home. Really a silly comparison. I think only some surfers think like this. Not your average homeowner. They'd probably just think you're crazy because its so cold out. lol
    That being said, I hope everyone heeded evac orders and stayed safe and I feel for people who lost their homes. That sucks big time.
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding. Put yourself in their shoes. You're out there with your entire neighborhood working your butts off to rebuild your homes/lives and here come a couple of dudes to go paddle out right in front of you. Some people may not care, but I could see other people getting a little upset about it.

    Do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you, and it is unlikely that they will even say anything to you because they all have more important things on their mind. If you really feel the need to go to some devastated area and surf in highly polluted water, go ahead. Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding. Put yourself in their shoes. You're out there with your entire neighborhood working your butts off to rebuild your homes/lives and here come a couple of dudes to go paddle out right in front of you. Some people may not care, but I could see other people getting a little upset about it.

    Do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you, and it is unlikely that they will even say anything to you because they all have more important things on their mind. If you really feel the need to go to some devastated area and surf in highly polluted water, go ahead. Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.
    Dirty water aint my cup of tea. Just saying being harsh on op saying he should get hit by a telephone pole. No surfer hopes for that storm path anyway. Curve out to sea is what everyone wants.

  10. #10
    rock1.jpgrock2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding.

    Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.
    I helped a friend rescue his sister in Rockaway, got looks because we came in with Mcdonalds for her after she spent 8 days in the friggin dark with no food, power, heat or anything. Surrounded by upside down cars and 8 feet of sand. And piles of people's possessions another 8 feet high in front of every house.

    I don't think I could walk on by to go surf.

    The pictures aren't even form the worst area.
    Last edited by Gfootr; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM.