LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I live in rockaway year round... Im the 4th house off the beach... My basement flooded about 4ft. I got off easy. My street is the highest street above water in rockaway and boy it saved me. my basement flooded from the sewer lines backing up into the house... every house at least had that happen. But most of the home flooding was a combo of the sewer lines backing up and ocean water overtaking the window levels up past the first floor.
    So... the gas lines are being restored first. but no electricity. no business running. nothing. rockaway is unliveable right now. every beach front home suffered massive damage, if the home was lucky to even be there. And the reports of debris floating in the lineups are true... the surf yesterday looked so nice... but no one out, at least up by my area. I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.

Also I stayed for the storm.... Im one to always evacuate but this year I stayed.... it was the worst experience of my life. It will take years to erase this mark.. if ever.
    Good to hear you are ok Fitz, how long till you are sitting waaaaay outside again?

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    How does someone surfing affect the damage to the area? How is it insulting to anyone? So no one should do any hobby? Surfing is a hobby. No going to the gym? No playing any sports? How exactly does that help anyone? If my home was destroyed there I could honestly careless if some guy is surfing in the water. It would have ZERO effect on my home. Really a silly comparison. I think only some surfers think like this. Not your average homeowner. They'd probably just think you're crazy because its so cold out. lol
    That being said, I hope everyone heeded evac orders and stayed safe and I feel for people who lost their homes. That sucks big time.
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding. Put yourself in their shoes. You're out there with your entire neighborhood working your butts off to rebuild your homes/lives and here come a couple of dudes to go paddle out right in front of you. Some people may not care, but I could see other people getting a little upset about it.

Do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you, and it is unlikely that they will even say anything to you because they all have more important things on their mind. If you really feel the need to go to some devastated area and surf in highly polluted water, go ahead. Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding. Put yourself in their shoes. You're out there with your entire neighborhood working your butts off to rebuild your homes/lives and here come a couple of dudes to go paddle out right in front of you. Some people may not care, but I could see other people getting a little upset about it.

Do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you, and it is unlikely that they will even say anything to you because they all have more important things on their mind. If you really feel the need to go to some devastated area and surf in highly polluted water, go ahead. Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.
    Dirty water aint my cup of tea. Just saying being harsh on op saying he should get hit by a telephone pole. No surfer hopes for that storm path anyway. Curve out to sea is what everyone wants.

rock1.jpgrock2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding.

Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.
    I helped a friend rescue his sister in Rockaway, got looks because we came in with Mcdonalds for her after she spent 8 days in the friggin dark with no food, power, heat or anything. Surrounded by upside down cars and 8 feet of sand. And piles of people's possessions another 8 feet high in front of every house.

I don't think I could walk on by to go surf.

The pictures aren't even form the worst area.
    Last edited by Gfootr; Nov 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    I helped a friend rescue his sister in Rockaway, got looks because we came in with Mcdonalds for her after she spent 8 days in the friggin dark with no food, power, heat or anything. Surrounded by upside down cars and 8 feet of sand. And piles of people's possessions another 8 feet high in front of every house.

I don't think I could walk on by to go surf.
    No one is saying that is isn't messed up what happened to a lot of people. I just want to be clear on that.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    No one is saying that is isn't messed up what happened to a lot of people. I just want to be clear on that.
    I get what you're saying. I lost power, heat, internet and TV for 10 days and didn't really sit there and watch or see pictures of the devastation, I was itching to go surf, but when I went to Rockaway, it just left me speechless. I'm not sure when I'll surf again... at least in NJ.

I edited my last post with pics, I just couldn't imagine walking past these people to surf...

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I live in rockaway year round... Im the 4th house off the beach... My basement flooded about 4ft. I got off easy. My street is the highest street above water in rockaway and boy it saved me. my basement flooded from the sewer lines backing up into the house... every house at least had that happen. But most of the home flooding was a combo of the sewer lines backing up and ocean water overtaking the window levels up past the first floor.
    So... the gas lines are being restored first. but no electricity. no business running. nothing. rockaway is unliveable right now. every beach front home suffered massive damage, if the home was lucky to even be there. And the reports of debris floating in the lineups are true... the surf yesterday looked so nice... but no one out, at least up by my area. I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.

Also I stayed for the storm.... Im one to always evacuate but this year I stayed.... it was the worst experience of my life. It will take years to erase this mark.. if ever.
    Glad to hear from you Fitz, knowing from your posts you live in Rockaway I was wondering if you survived. You probably will never have a worse experience in your life, I am still awed by the absolute destruction I see on the videos and pictures.
    JN

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Good to hear you are ok Fitz, how long till you are sitting waaaaay outside again?
    Thanks man! I'm currently sitting waaaaaay outside staying in manhattan with some family. As far as sitting in the surf... I don't see being in the ocean anytime in the near future with the cleanup I have to do and the house being out of commission.

Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Glad to hear from you Fitz, knowing from your posts you live in Rockaway I was wondering if you survived. You probably will never have a worse experience in your life, I am still awed by the absolute destruction I see on the videos and pictures.
    JN
    Thanks for the thoughts. I still can't believe how badly rockaway got trashed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beaner View Post
    A seawall like the one that is built in sea bright and did nothing to prevent the destruction that occurred?
    On the contrary. That sea wall saved Sea Bright, again. Without that sea wall the whole town would be gone, not just covered in 4 ft of sand. The seawall was the boss in SB. Saved that town from literally being wiped away.