Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    The sea walls exploded when the surge hit and tore up streets and pavement, most beach front homes are gone. the surf break has changed tremendously and there is a lot of stuff from homes floating and trees that are up in the surf... until the area is cleaned please do not surf unless you are sure nothing is out there. There was a lot of damage to rockaway... No power and lots of gas leaks... vlcsnap-2012-10-31-20h24m24s18.jpg... that is looking at the seawall and such, there is no seawalls or cams for a while... a lot of places burned down, and alot of sand was moved into the streets... ill have more pics later...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Typical swellinfo d*ckhead
    Posts
    1,240
    The whole island got decimated. I have a lot of family in breezy that are now gypsies. Nothing but the clothes they have on their backs. A friend of mine was speaking to a guy who lived in the area that burned to the ground. Power was already out, water was already waist deep outside, wind howling at 60+, and then they hear screams of "get out" and "fire". He, his wife, their two children, and dog evacuated the house with absolutely no time to spare. They walk out into waist deep cold ocean water and start moving as quickly as they could away from the fire. Nowhere to go. They just ran away. Now, they're left with nothing. Had to borrow clothes to wear. Breezy is a war zone. Raw sewage everywhere, water everywhere, no power, and garbage everywhere. If you are interested in coming to Rockaway, dont bring your board, bring your work gloves and a pair of waders and lend a hand. And trust me, you dont want to go in that water right now.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    The whole island got decimated. I have a lot of family in breezy that are now gypsies. Nothing but the clothes they have on their backs. A friend of mine was speaking to a guy who lived in the area that burned to the ground. Power was already out, water was already waist deep outside, wind howling at 60+, and then they hear screams of "get out" and "fire". He, his wife, their two children, and dog evacuated the house with absolutely no time to spare. They walk out into waist deep cold ocean water and start moving as quickly as they could away from the fire. Nowhere to go. They just ran away. Now, they're left with nothing. Had to borrow clothes to wear. Breezy is a war zone. Raw sewage everywhere, water everywhere, no power, and garbage everywhere. If you are interested in coming to Rockaway, dont bring your board, bring your work gloves and a pair of waders and lend a hand. And trust me, you dont want to go in that water right now.
    Holy F that sucks, good luck to everybody affected by this, having been in FL my whole life i've seen plenty of destruction from these storms, but it's always mind blowing when they hit like this, my thoughts and prayers go out to you all, good luck and speedy recovery.

  4. #14

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by travy View Post
    That's sad man, well done video though.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Long Buried Island
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    have fun in the sewage... u deserve to get hit by a floating telephone pole
    Honestly bro, its not worth it. Between the debris, sewage, depressed scene near the beaches your are better off not showing for at least a couple of weeks.

    Oops, I responded to the wrong post....I meant to respond to donkeypunch
    Last edited by Sniffer; Nov 9, 2012 at 06:35 PM.

  7. #17
    I live in rockaway year round... Im the 4th house off the beach... My basement flooded about 4ft. I got off easy. My street is the highest street above water in rockaway and boy it saved me. my basement flooded from the sewer lines backing up into the house... every house at least had that happen. But most of the home flooding was a combo of the sewer lines backing up and ocean water overtaking the window levels up past the first floor.
    So... the gas lines are being restored first. but no electricity. no business running. nothing. rockaway is unliveable right now. every beach front home suffered massive damage, if the home was lucky to even be there. And the reports of debris floating in the lineups are true... the surf yesterday looked so nice... but no one out, at least up by my area. I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.

    Also I stayed for the storm.... Im one to always evacuate but this year I stayed.... it was the worst experience of my life. It will take years to erase this mark.. if ever.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by swell5 View Post
    have fun in the sewage... u deserve to get hit by a floating telephone pole
    I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.
    How does someone surfing affect the damage to the area? How is it insulting to anyone? So no one should do any hobby? Surfing is a hobby. No going to the gym? No playing any sports? How exactly does that help anyone? If my home was destroyed there I could honestly careless if some guy is surfing in the water. It would have ZERO effect on my home. Really a silly comparison. I think only some surfers think like this. Not your average homeowner. They'd probably just think you're crazy because its so cold out. lol
    That being said, I hope everyone heeded evac orders and stayed safe and I feel for people who lost their homes. That sucks big time.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 9, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I live in rockaway year round... Im the 4th house off the beach... My basement flooded about 4ft. I got off easy. My street is the highest street above water in rockaway and boy it saved me. my basement flooded from the sewer lines backing up into the house... every house at least had that happen. But most of the home flooding was a combo of the sewer lines backing up and ocean water overtaking the window levels up past the first floor.
    So... the gas lines are being restored first. but no electricity. no business running. nothing. rockaway is unliveable right now. every beach front home suffered massive damage, if the home was lucky to even be there. And the reports of debris floating in the lineups are true... the surf yesterday looked so nice... but no one out, at least up by my area. I can't help but feel it would be insulting to the area to paddle out with such destruction around us.

    Also I stayed for the storm.... Im one to always evacuate but this year I stayed.... it was the worst experience of my life. It will take years to erase this mark.. if ever.
    Good to hear you are ok Fitz, how long till you are sitting waaaaay outside again?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Capo Beach
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    How does someone surfing affect the damage to the area? How is it insulting to anyone? So no one should do any hobby? Surfing is a hobby. No going to the gym? No playing any sports? How exactly does that help anyone? If my home was destroyed there I could honestly careless if some guy is surfing in the water. It would have ZERO effect on my home. Really a silly comparison. I think only some surfers think like this. Not your average homeowner. They'd probably just think you're crazy because its so cold out. lol
    That being said, I hope everyone heeded evac orders and stayed safe and I feel for people who lost their homes. That sucks big time.
    No - for the people dealing with this devastation, there are no hobbies right now. There is only rebuilding. Put yourself in their shoes. You're out there with your entire neighborhood working your butts off to rebuild your homes/lives and here come a couple of dudes to go paddle out right in front of you. Some people may not care, but I could see other people getting a little upset about it.

    Do whatever you want, nobody is going to stop you, and it is unlikely that they will even say anything to you because they all have more important things on their mind. If you really feel the need to go to some devastated area and surf in highly polluted water, go ahead. Personally, if I felt this need, I'd at least help somebody out for a few hours before I paddled out.