LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Fin removal

Fin removal

I am going to San Diego in a week. I am trying to take the fins off of my surfboard so I can travel with it. I've got those screws out but I can't seem to get the fins out. It's in their real good. Any tips?

P. S. These are FCS fins

Images
    Squirt about 4 ounces of anal juice per box and rub in it around the crack real good. Then Yank it out.
    Seriously what i do is just wiggle it back and forth real hard while holding it against the ground until it pops out.

Try some hot water. Not super hot, just like a minute in the microwave, maybe less. Too hot and you could delam or warp the poly or epoxy, depending. As salt water dries out, salt builds up between fin tabs and the walls of the slots creating a super tight fit. Salt dissolves in water, a littler faster in warm water. Pour some on a fin, let it sit for a minute, pour some more give her a lil wiggle. More water, nother wiggle. She'll give.

If you have a rubber mallet, give it a few good bangs on the crown of the fin. Kind of a down and to the back direction (away from the screw). I've seen shapers/ding repair guys get fins out that I could never get out otherwise. Doesn't seem to damage the fin or board.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by idsmashh View Post
    I am going to San Diego in a week. I am trying to take the fins off of my surfboard so I can travel with it. I've got those screws out but I can't seem to get the fins out. It's in their real good. Any tips?

P. S. These are FCS fins
    You just have to keep working them out man. Hot water and a mallet both help considerably as well. took me FOREVER to get my futures out the other night on my fish but i got them out. wiggle, hit, wiggle more, repeat.