LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best local shaper?

Who is the best local shaper in the Mid Atlantic?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brode View Post
    Who is the best local shaper in the Mid Atlantic?
    I don't think "best" is the right way to look at it. I think different local shapers have types of boards that they really have gotten great at but it varies. Also the mid Atlantic is a big place...with plenty of room for guys like Brian Wynn or say Austin in Virginia to excel in what they do, without really competing with one another.

To me, local means within an hour drive so its easy to stop by and discuss custom shapes, look at templates, etc. Living on the Delmarva, I've been really happy with the many custom boards I've gotten from Jon Ashton. This includes two longboards, eggs, fishes, and a step up for an Indo trip. They have all been good and some have been magic.

http://www.ashtonsurfdesigns.com/index.html

Good luck.

There are so many talented shapers out there. I have seen a lot of fine looking boards on the forum from the NJ shapers, but Greg Eavey is my local favorite (Wilmington). Quality & craftsmanship is unparalleled - he shapes art. My profile has a picture of my Eavey. Check out his blog - www.eaveysurfboards.blogspot.com

I would take a look at Tom Mahady. He posts on here alot. Me makes great boards and is incredibly cool to chat with

I can vouch for Andrew Rendelson (ARC Surfboards), a very talented young dude who shapes out of Greenlight Surf Supply in Manasquan (Jerz). He can build anything, has an encyclopedic knowledge of surfboard design, and he also hand crafts absolutely beautiful, sweetly foiled hardwood fins. He posts his new customs here frequently.

Haven't heard any news about Greenlight specifically, but I know 'Squan got whacked just as hard as the rest of the coast. Andrew, if you're out there, holler. Wishing you and Brian the best.

Quote Originally Posted by aldous View Post

Haven't heard any news about Greenlight specifically, but I know 'Squan got whacked just as hard as the rest of the coast. Andrew, if you're out there, holler. Wishing you and Brian the best.
    I was wondering the same thing. I went there a couple weeks ago to check out one of the boards they posted on here a few weeks back. They are pretty close to the beach. Hope they made out ok.

Tommy Moore, who is now back in VB for a short period of time is the best hands down in my opinion. Many of the guys riding lost boards right now are on boards finished by Tommy.
    Honestly for a high performance shortboard, grovel stick, alternative high performacne shape, Tommy's board are great.
    Best build quality I have seen, far superior. ALso how great is it to have a guy whos shaped boards for the Fletchers, Sunny Garcia, Benny B , etc buiilding customs for us average Joes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltownrider View Post
    I would take a look at Tom Mahady. He posts on here alot. Me makes great boards and is incredibly cool to chat with
    Agreed,Tom is top notch.Lets you see your board being made from start to finish. Surfs the same waves we do on the East coast and has been building boards for quite some time.

9. Greg Eavey is top notch! His shapes are all time & his glassing is impeccable by far one of the best east coast shapers, truly old school.

Greg Eavey is a great shaper from Wilmington, NC. I have an 8'2" and a 7'2" and they are great boards. He glasses his own and they are truly pieces of art. Check him out if you can.