LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: How big was it?

Images

How big was it?

Sandy's biggest wave heights, from Dr. Jeff Masters Weather Underground blog:

Maximum significant wave height: 33.1' at the buoy east of Cape Hatteras, NC (2nd highest: 32.5' at the Entrance to New York Harbor)

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    Sandy's biggest wave heights, from Dr. Jeff Masters Weather Underground blog:

Maximum significant wave height: 33.1' at the buoy east of Cape Hatteras, NC (2nd highest: 32.5' at the Entrance to New York Harbor)
    The buoy off of Nantucket got up around 34 or 36 feet not sure the exact height

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shaarkbate View Post
    The buoy off of Nantucket got up around 34 or 36 feet not sure the exact height
    I think i remember seeing 38 feet at one of the buoys between Hatteras and Bermuda as it passed by.

edit...here it is Buoy 41048 (West Bermuda) on October 29th. 12.1 meters so 39.9 feet.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/5day2/41048_5day.txt
    Last edited by mitchell; Nov 2, 2012 at 06:49 PM.

how about the breaking waves?

That one of Raven's was probably the biggest ridden wave I saw out of this storm and would guess that was maybe 20ft?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    how about the breaking waves?

That one of Raven's was probably the biggest ridden wave I saw out of this storm and would guess that was maybe 20ft?
    Yea that wave was at least 15ft. Biggest I've seen so far? Pumphouse in florida but im sure there are some mysto spots that guys went to that could be bigger. we may never know or see documentation of it. just stories. but you know what, that's cool too. just another adventure to add to the list! props to anybody that scored big and prayers to everybody that lost anything/everything in the storm.
    Andy

Images
    As far as buoy significant wave heights, the NDBC archives all data, so its not hard to look up.
    The biggest wave height I see is buoy 44008, 54NM Southeast of Nantucket, with 36ft.

Buoy 44065, New York Harbor, hit a record height of 32.5, but considering how close it it is to the coast, and obviously in a very crucial location, it is quite extraordinary.

big enough to destroy an entire island,and leave countless hopeless,lost victims.silence.please.come up and see for yourself.it's over here.