LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water quality

Hybrid View

water quality

how unhealthy is the water off NJ going to be? anyone have any reasoned ideas on how long for bacteria to clear? given the failure of sewage plants along the coast and the massive flooding, it will much longer than after a heavy rain.

2. was wondering the same thing. When will it be ok to paddle out again i know everything pretty nasty right now

A long time... Aside from all the debris in the water, sewage plants all along the coast have leaked raw sewage into the ocean including nyc's. Also a tanker at Arthur's Kill leaked some 300,000 gallons of diesel fuel into the raritan bay. At this point if you want to go surfing go to va.

can anyone give us an accurate estimate? Like is there a website or something that gives details on water quality and etas and such.

Quote Originally Posted by forman View Post
    can anyone give us an accurate estimate? Like is there a website or something that gives details on water quality and etas and such.
    I would check the EPA's website or the NJ Department of environmental protection

http://www.nj.gov/dep/beaches/

i cant find any estimates but you can look up the half life to alot of the substances that are in the water now; the flooding is going to cause an insane amount of run off of different pesticides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and personal care products, not even considering the levels of antibiotics and other hormones already present in the watersheds. most of these compounds can mimic hormones in your body (endocrine disrupters) and really mess with you long term not just the normal sinus infection :/

beautiful water,waves and sandbars here, and we are not going surfing,for a long time.silence.please

Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    beautiful water,waves and sandbars here, and we are not going surfing,for a long time.silence.please
    I have been in the water Wednesday, Thursday and yesterday. I'm fine, the waters clear and seems clean at least. Swallowed some ocean water too. If I grow a third eye or turn green ill let you know. And what does silence please mean?

Can anyone else add to this? Could really use a session after everything that's gone on

Quote Originally Posted by nickzilla720 View Post
    Can anyone else add to this? Could really use a session after everything that's gone on
    Your fine, go in