LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Silence. Please.

Silence. Please.

Are our Tax Dollars going to be silenced to fix homes and businesses that were warned that this would happen if you decided to build on Barrier Islands?

Images
    I agree dude...as much as I sympathize with the people who lost everything, it was only a matter of time, and it's only a matter of time before it happens again. The land itself handles these events fine, it's our structures that don't. Again, I feel great sympathy and wish nothing but the best for those who got hit hard, but we should be able to discuss this from a scientific perspective without being shushed.

I with ya...

Images
    I live on the L.I. Sound and go down to the beach to walk my dog frequently. The road we walk is littered with obnoxiously oversized and elaborate houses, with maybe a half mile wide by quarter mile stretch of marsh on the other side of the road(one of three stretches of marsh in town). The houses are right up on the beach, and at neap tides when it's high the water comes close without a major storm system nearby. Several were washed away during Irene. I watched them rebuild, not just the ones that got destroyed, but they added new ones...someone's gotta cash in on that prime real estate. This is getting rather long-winded and I gotta get back to work, but you see where I'm going...the average person's sense of geologic time is limited I suppose, or skewed by conventional aspirations of success...and I want to emphasize again that my heart goes out to those who experienced tragedy from this storm...but the **** was thrown at the fan a while back, and more is on the way.

Images
    yup. people gotta realize that man does not own nature nor can he conquer it. he's just as much as the owner of the world as the bacteria crawling around on my keyboard at this very moment. thats humanity's problem in a lot of other aspects but thats another story for another time. its just like in the outer banks. when you build on a barrier island that's receding anyway and its pretty much at or below sea level, with a sound behind it that will also surge, its only a matter of time. thoughts and prayers to people that lost everything though. its a damn shame.

Being from New Orleans/the Gulf Region and having ridden out a storm or two, I can tell you, folks are pretty emotional right now. It's hard to see your home get destroyed. I can empathize with their pain and understand why BeachBreak couldn’t take it. Those guys are at their wits end. The hardest thing to understand after a disaster is how the rest of the world just keeps going on.

My parents’ first house off Lyon St., gone. The house on Farragut over in Jefferson Parish which I was born in, still there. Difference was, one was a shotgun and the other was built in 1887 on cedar piers. Guess which one was built before the levees. A big part of the problem is that houses that are designed to withstand hurricanes and flooding aren’t as cheap to build nor as aesthetically pleasing to the majority of home buyers. Personally, I like houses on piers. Course New Orleans didn’t get hit by storm surge or bad winds. It was old man river and failing man made pumps. The best laid plans.

As long as insurance companies continue issuing wind and water policies on homes, as long developers can buy influence with zoning boards and as long as living by the sea commands a higher price, people will continue to build on barrier islands and they will never learn. The sea will keep taking back the land and we'll just build right back in the same spot. Every time. If the land itself is gone, we’ll pile up rock and sand in the same place and build on that. We suck at change. My family all has houses or condos out on Padre, at the end of each spring we all say, this could be it. Except for my Grandma, she still remembers Beulah and lives in town.

New Jersey gets my sympathy and the charities that are helping out get my money. I look at this storm and wish that my friends and family back in 2004 had gotten the same kind of advanced warning, time to prepare and quick help. 6 days after Katrina, it sure was a different story. I guess we learn some lessons. Jersey will come back. Stronger and more resilient.

Images
    Agreed...you guys have a great weekend, outta here...for the record, I donated what I could, I don't have much but every little bit helps, and my thoughts and prayers to everyone in NY/NJ.

It's not only barrier islands that are destroyed. Homes all along the great south bay are flooded as well. My family lost everything when the house flooded up to the ceiling.
    Until last year I never would have thought we could have flooded. And now it's happened 2 years in a row...
    We will rebuild as long as insurance pays, which is not as easy as people think... But we need to raise the house this time.
    Like Gaffer said, it's tough seeing everything go back to "normal" while we are so far from being there

Hopeall are well

Images
    My in-law's house in Mantoloking is still standing but my husband and I don't think his elderly mother should be living there year round anymore given the rising sea levels and ocean temperature. If more hurricanes keep hitting the coast, I'm going to encourage my in-laws to build at least 5 miles inland.