LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    i get what you are saying about building science and ways to take an existing hoime and make it better without changing the way the house feels. energy conservancy sure. health and safety when it comes to fire and combustion gases. but i am curious on how to make a house flood proof? water finds a way in even when there isn't a flood. through moisture or pressure a home gets wet 24/7. you can't stop it from coming in you can only move it out once it is there. that is building science 101. the problem here was that the water intrusion beat the evacuation. with no elctricity how do you use a pump? sound like you and i can have a great conversation about this as its my job too but this aint the place.
    True, if you do nothing to the elevation of the ground floor and do nothing to the landscape surrounding the home then you will end up with the same results on the next storm. Flood waters will always find a way in if you do nothing to change elevation. So what i'm suggesting is that engineers and landscape architects take a long hard look at the landscape and come up with creative ways to minimize the storm surge / flooding, while the architects engineers and contractors all work together on the homes and buildings to make them more structurally sound with better drainage systems to get water out once it's in, because you will never be able to avoid 100% of it, but you can minimize. Surely they can design a drainage / pump system that doesn't require electricity. Plus, think about all the renewal sources of energy that could be used too. Lots of ideas floating around out there, but someone has to have the balls to go for it and set the standard.

Surely they can design a drainage / pump system that doesn't require electricity.

buckets?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    Surely they can design a drainage / pump system that doesn't require electricity.

buckets?
    Ah F IT, perhaps it better as a poo infested community pool. No, seriously, there are many ways use create power without the conventional methods of generating electricity and relying on the local power company. Wind power, water power, solar power, etc., think outside the box man.

North America has been submerged underwater 4 times in the past 100 million years. So all of your points are rather mute... Just saying

Quote Originally Posted by BonerSurfs View Post
    North America has been submerged underwater 4 times in the past 100 million years. So all of your points are rather mute... Just saying
    It's moot but whatever

Quote Originally Posted by motivated2surf View Post
    Exactly. If you build near the ocean, myself included, you are aware of the risks and should not got any taxpayer bailouts. Now, church organizations and other charities can still help as they do with any crisis. The federal govt should not be involved. Now, for sharkhunter, he wants his cake and eat it too. If you don't want taxpayer money to help people with oceanfront property (which I agree with), you shouldn't approve using taxpayer dollars for free healthcare. You say it's a right for healthcare, bull****. It's a privilege. There were three rights defined when this country was created, look them up. Healthcare isn't one of them. If you don't like it, get the **** out of this country. I'm sorry. I'm not paying for others healthcare, especially obese and people who smoke. They know the risks of their lifestyle, just like people who build on the oceanfront and shouldn't get any free healthcare. Churches, donations, and other type of doctors will always help people without healtcare. People have no faith in other people in the community helping which happened way before the federal govt started getting involved.
    I agree well said

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Ah F IT, perhaps it better as a poo infested community pool. No, seriously, there are many ways use create power without the conventional methods of generating electricity and relying on the local power company. Wind power, water power, solar power, etc., think outside the box man.
    i was joking man. cut me some slack i ve been wet and probably covered in poo for days. the fam evacked but i stayed and had a gas pump working that can spit out something like 10,000 gallons an hour after we lost power and the surge beat that too and rose about 6" on the first floor. 1st time the water hit living space since the house was built in 1947( its been in my family since then). and we have been completly surrounded by water at least five times i can remember. the structure is sound, wet sheetrock, insulation, and floors are out and the rest is drying out and will get a biological wash that kills organisms soon. after that we do the install. no need to get the govt involved except that my tax return will ft the bill.

by the way it takes a lot of solar panels to run a pump. it is possible and im interested in getting them but when it comes to energy efficiency im still a ways away ( probably get a solar water heater first). water power isn't something that happens house to house yet, utilities can use it to generate electricity but it still would have to go through a power line that will be down not through flooding but through a down tree due to wind. and where exactly am i going to put a 150 ft windmill that has 60 ft wingspan. again it would still need wires that a tree can fall on. being that my house has a winning record with these types of storms with only one failure, im going to stay pat with how i handle it. call me stubborn. for the recprd im on the bayside of the barrier islands i have forest and dunes between me and the ocean there is no jetties or groins. the ocean beat them all. if God wants to take my house he can have it. i just don't think the gov't should tell me not to live here anymore and i definitlly do not want tax payers to build me a sea wall they can refuse to provide assisitance but thats about it. and that is ok with me.

DPSUP. if you want to talk( debate) more about building science im in but lets keep it of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by motivated2surf View Post
    Exactly. If you build near the ocean, myself included, you are aware of the risks and should not got any taxpayer bailouts. Now, church organizations and other charities can still help as they do with any crisis. The federal govt should not be involved. Now, for sharkhunter, he wants his cake and eat it too. If you don't want taxpayer money to help people with oceanfront property (which I agree with), you shouldn't approve using taxpayer dollars for free healthcare. You say it's a right for healthcare, bull****. It's a privilege. There were three rights defined when this country was created, look them up. Healthcare isn't one of them. If you don't like it, get the **** out of this country. I'm sorry. I'm not paying for others healthcare, especially obese and people who smoke. They know the risks of their lifestyle, just like people who build on the oceanfront and shouldn't get any free healthcare. Churches, donations, and other type of doctors will always help people without healtcare. People have no faith in other people in the community helping which happened way before the federal govt started getting involved.
    Slavery also existed when the country was formed? Your lack of caring and empathy is quite frankly disgusting. Plenty of people who don't smoke or are fat get sick and die. Spend some time in a hospital and see for yourself. You get perfectly healthy people getting cancer and heart disease as well as countless other diseases. Genetics, luck, and age are the biggest determining factors. You have people getting Leukemia in their 20s who never smoked. Look at a PDR sometime and see the staggering amount of diseases that can happen for no apparent reason other than bad genes/luck. I guess people are hoping they get cancer so they can get a "free hand out". LOL

PROPERTY VS. HUMAN LIFE.....QUITE A STAGGERING DIFFERENCE
    (and property of millionaires who choose to live on the ocean)
    And who pays for people when their in the E.R.? Say a homeless person is having a heart attack(or a person who's job doesn't give them benefits) Do you suggest we throw them on the street like an animal to die? Who pays for this? We live in a society where costs for major expenditures are spread out. Like police for example or roads. The fact that we are still the only modern 1st world country without a universal healthcare speaks more to the greed and stupidity of a significant percentage of people in this country. Thankfully, Obama has taken us away from that. Really hoping he wins the election. I don't need to go anywhere. We are heading towards universal healthcare thankfully.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM.

The fact that you'd even compare subsidizing health insurance for poor people to subsidizing flood insurance for wealthy oceanfront land owners in nj is really quite twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    Feel free to stay, but stop asking me and other non-flood zone residents to rebuild your house via subsidized flood insurance. If you're comfortable paying 2.5 times more than you currently pay for flood insurance, then stay and rebuild. If not, you need to move somewhere else.
    if you've got a problem with it, write your senator. saying stuff on here won't do sh*t.