LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 138
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    48
    If you couldn't get the insurance supplied by the US Gov. a lot less people would build so close to the ocean. The Fed actually makes it more attractive to build on the beach by supplying the insurance. Keep the restrictive laws out. You can't legislate against everything. The beach replinishment projects do more to ruin surf.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,360
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBER View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong... But, isn't there a "seawall" that runs down Ocean Ave. in Monmouth County, NJ? I'm pretty sure Monmouth Beach got worked by Sandy and the "seawall" didn't do a damn thing...
    i am sure you may have read over this, but i also included a new drainage system. im pretty sure the year after year of pumping sand back onto the beach has done nothing. atleast the seawall will prevent the sand from being sucked out from underneathe the houses.

    fact being no one is going to move off the houses. just like new orleans is still going to be a very densely populated city despite katrina. merely telling people to relocate is rubbish, because they are not going to do it.

    instead of just criticizing, Weber, what do you have as an idea?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,360
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by snobowin View Post
    If you couldn't get the insurance supplied by the US Gov. a lot less people would build so close to the ocean. The Fed actually makes it more attractive to build on the beach by supplying the insurance. Keep the restrictive laws out. You can't legislate against everything. The beach replinishment projects do more to ruin surf.
    thats because so many states make money off the tourism season. it would be difficult to built the town inland, then have a bridge leading only to state parks on the beach. there would be no boardwalk, amusement parks, ect ect on the inside that would attract the same amount of people as legitimate coastal towns. salisbury, md is not the same as ocean city, md.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    Another reason why the federal governments FEMA bailouts of property owners should be reviewed. I agree that individuals should have the right to build wherever. But if a storm comes don't ask for federal insurance compensation or any other type of government assistance/subsidization. Ironically this article was in the times this morning: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/05/ny...?smid=tw-share
    I agree that FEMA should stay out of it. I live in a coastal town that was affected and I had flooding in my house. I believe that donations and charity groups will amass enough money to help people without the federal govt giving away tax dollars. If we follow that method, we have to also stop with food stamps, welfare and especial section 8 housing. I work my ass off and I'm not asking for any federal help but I see tons of people in my industry come in without jobs who can qualify for a free $2,000 for rental assitance. They get that free money and don't even attempt to get jobs. Illegals also get this if they have a child born here because of the stupid birthright law. If you are ending one form of giving away tax dollars, don't be a hypocrite. It needs to end for all social programs or at least be revised that you have to have some form of job. Also, unemployment should run out for everyone who is too good for other jobs. I'm sick of all my tax payer dollars going to lazy people who are always waiting for a govt handout.

  5. #25
    I wasn't criticizing your idea. It's an observation that I have made, that in this instance a simple seawall didn't help...

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,360
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBER View Post
    I wasn't criticizing your idea. It's an observation that I have made, that in this instance a simple seawall didn't help...
    here's my observation: they need a better seawall

  7. #27
    I aggree that federal $ should not go to illegals... But FEMA should not stay out of it. People will need their help. Just because some people get $ that do not deserve it, does not mean that people that do deserve it should not get it... My house flooded last year from Irene and insurance did not even come close to covering the cost of all the damage. If we did not get FEMA $ we would have been in a lot of trouble.
    Charity groups will raise a ton of $. But they will not be paying for everyone to rebuild their homes.

  8. sea walls are actually worse for ocean beaches then youd think. they speed up the process of erosion. instead of waves breaking on sandbars offshore when there is no sea wall, after a few years when one is built they would eventually be breaking right into the sea wall causing more of a threat. when you put up a sea wall it inhibits the beach of supplying itself with sand after a storm from a dune and eventually the beach will disappear bringing the ocean closer to homes and the sea wall. this also happens when you construct homes on beaches.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA BEACH
    Posts
    1,360
    Images
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by gnarlytubage View Post
    sea walls are actually worse for ocean beaches then youd think. they speed up the process of erosion. instead of waves breaking on sandbars offshore when there is no sea wall, after a few years when one is built they would eventually be breaking right into the sea wall causing more of a threat. when you put up a sea wall it inhibits the beach of supplying itself with sand after a storm from a dune and eventually the beach will disappear bringing the ocean closer to homes and the sea wall. this also happens when you construct homes on beaches.
    good info, point accepted

  10. #30
    While I agree that rezoning is something that should happen for our own personal protection, I don't know if we should be reacting so quickly to this one storm. By and large this could possibly be the strongest storm to ever hit the northeast. Sandy is an outlier, it was so much stronger and damaging than any storm I have ever seen. Most houses there are prepared for moderate flooding, what is what is practical to prepare for. In a perfect world we'd prepare ourselves completely for another Sandy or worse, but I don't think people are going to be able to be convinced to prepare themselves for a repeat of a storm that happened once in the past generation.

    And not only that, but there is the concept of eminent domain. Imagine the cost to the government to have to pay people and banks who actually own the properties to give up their land. We can't just take the land away from people, even if it is for their own good.