LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by njerseysurf View Post
    By and large this could possibly be the strongest storm to ever hit the northeast. Sandy is an outlier, it was so much stronger and damaging than any storm I have ever seen. Most houses there are prepared for moderate flooding, what is what is practical to prepare for.
    Wasn't Sandy a Category 1?

It was a Cat 1. But it was the size of the storm and the duration that make it the worst storm to hit the North East. It wasn't like we had 140 mph winds, but we had 85 mph for a day and a half... We've had stronger winds hit the NE in the past, but never for scu a long period of time

Images
    for some reason, this thread brings this song to mind:

The ocean has been rising .14 inches per year since the early 90's.
    This is a fact.
    In the last 20 years the ocean had risen nearly 3 inches.

I am sure I will live to see Montauk completely destroyed. I watched Sandy take out 15-40' of cliffs.

In terms of sheer destruction though, the wind, rain, and a few inches of rising sea is negligible. For now the real problem seems to be rising water temperature. This creates big storms, with big storm surges.
    Last edited by hal; Nov 5, 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Images
    motivated2surf- I fully agree with you, which is why I find it hard to believe that people who continue to deny that our climate is changing will build in precarious locations.These people are the first to ask for the Federal government to rush in after a predicted disaster. If you want to smoke cigarettes great, but when you develop lung cancer don't expect me to pay your medical bills. The same logic could be applied to the Jersey shore. Science is clear that our oceans are rising and our climate is changing. Feel free to build along the coast. But when the next hurricane hits next year, don't beg for the Feds to waste more $ on ignorance or stupidity.
    Last edited by andrewk529; Nov 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Great idea - move everything back!

Yeah, I could see the Hard Rock Cafe from Atlantic City in Vineland or Millville, New Jersey - probably the best thing that ever happened to those towns! I can see the sign now: Bob's Grill of Estell Manor welcomes you to a fine dining experience! Mack'n'Mancos of Maurice River. I can walk out of Heritage Surf and Sport on 8th st. in Mays Landing and dine at Randazzo's in Milmay. Or gamble at the Trump Taj Mahal on Egg Harbor pier!

Man, we're not thinkin' small here - we're gonna need some serious logs from the pine barrens to build the f---in piers to float it up for the next Noreaster's short-period slop to move it all for us!

But when it's done? I can pick up a new used board at Surfer's Supplies, catch a wave around 55th street and get beach it at Park Place.

Let's get started!

What the OP is saying makes sense, but it's useless to preach "we never should have..." at this point. The communities along the beaches are here to stay. What we can do is minimize the development, and find a ways to mitigate the damage as much as we can to what is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    When are people going to realize that we are building too close to the shore on the east coast and that the oceans are rising! Municipalities need to rezone what is considered a build-able area and back it back at least a 1000-2000 feet. Compensate people for this obviously. It will be cheaper than other solutions.

If you look at these before and after pictures. The entire area to the right of that major road should have ZERO buildings. That should be non-buildable shoreline. Where all the sand was pushed is now the new NATURAL start of the beach. We are in a loosing battle against a rising ocean. People/government need to recognize that. Stop rebuilding in areas that will be destroyed again that are oceanfront. Back the line up of what is considered oceanfront or nature will do it for you It's only going to get worse. We are spending millions of tax payer dollars on re-nourishment projects/ocean walls hardening of the shoreline ect all in a losing battle!
    Attachment 6213
    Out of who's pockets do you propose this money come from to ask people to move their homes back from the ocean? Although beach replenishment is not good for us surfers, if if wasn't done, then the beach would erode into the ocean. That 1000 feet that you propose for rezoning, would eventually become less and less until the barrier island is too thin to push back and "rezone" again.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewk529 View Post
    motivated2surf- I fully agree with you, which is why I find it hard to believe that people who continue to deny that our climate is changing will build in precarious locations.These people are the first to ask for the Federal government to rush in after a predicted disaster. If you want to smoke cigarettes great, but when you develop lung cancer don't expect me to pay your medical bills. The same logic could be applied to the Jersey shore. Science is clear that our oceans are rising and our climate is changing. Feel free to build along the coast. But when the next hurricane hits next year, don't beg for the Feds to waste more $ on ignorance or stupidity.
    While I understand your rationale, most of these coastal towns have been built for years and years, since way before you and I were born. And I don't know for sure, but most of these graphs and data about the rising waters and storm systems, have come from studies conducted long after these towns were built. There is no retroactive way to rebuild these towns. And I haven't heard one person come on this forum and whine about they're home or where they chose to live. Most people know the risk of where they live, but the reward is more worth it for them. Consider yourself fortunate that this storm didn't hit you as hard as it did others. And as for your cig smoking reference.. with obamacare, you will be paying for others' lung cancer. If anyone sounds ignorant, its you for hating on where people choose to live.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadhead View Post
    While I understand your rationale, most of these coastal towns have been built for years and years, since way before you and I were born. And I don't know for sure, but most of these graphs and data about the rising waters and storm systems, have come from studies conducted long after these towns were built. There is no retroactive way to rebuild these towns. And I haven't heard one person come on this forum and whine about they're home or where they chose to live. Most people know the risk of where they live, but the reward is more worth it for them. Consider yourself fortunate that this storm didn't hit you as hard as it did others. And as for your cig smoking reference.. with obamacare, you will be paying for others' lung cancer. If anyone sounds ignorant, its you for hating on where people choose to live.
    You're also paying for someone to be saved by the police. Should only people who carry police insurance be saved? What about a fire? Should the fireman just stand outside and watch while you burn to death if you didn't pay your insurance. We take care of convicted felons and give them health care. Basic healthcare is something that should be a right as a citizen and paid for with taxes just like medicare. That's what evey other modern nation has. Hope Obama wins. We pay for it anyway when they go to the emergency room. The whole argument by the right is idiotic. Hell Nixon loved the idea of universal healthcare and mitt romney designed it in Mass! It was the basis for obamacare. Healthcare is basic public safety Anyway, that's off topic.

"
    some flooding? MOST OF THE TOWNS WERE COMPLETELY FLOODED! The sea walls would prevent the storm surge. who is more reasonable, let's see...convince towns of people to move most of their homes to where? Inland? because most of these islands are no more than a mile wide if that in some places."

Oh and as far as building sea walls mr superfish. I find it incredibly strange that a surfer would want something that would basically end surfing and destroy all the beaches and beauty that come with it. Lets just take down this site. No reason to have it if you build a non stop sea wall for every town. The ocean is a wild place. If you don't like that your property might be flooded, don't live anywhere near it. Plenty of land far inland. It's like living by a river and asking the river be completely diverted and taken away. Why not just not build near a river in the first place. You either enjoy the ocean and take a risk by living near it. Or don't live anywhere near it. That being said. My original point stands. Oceans are rising and we should redefine where oceanfront land starts.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 6, 2012 at 02:53 AM.