LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    4/3 Hazmat suit works well here in NY. Next time I'll also wear goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by freckers View Post
    Look at the water temp at the top of the page with forecast info for your area. Even tells you what suit/booties are reccommended. But, even with all that, you should know how the cold affects your body and go with that. Ive been wearing my 5/4 for almost a month in Mass with booties, and mittens depending on air temp, and getting more waves because kids are trying to tough it out with 3/2s and getting out after 2 hours. Id rather surf longer and be toasty...
    Yeah I don't really understand some people. I mean people are talking about wearing 4/3's in the middle of winter. I can wear a 4/3 in the middle of summer and be perfectly comfortable and not too warm. Do I need a 4/3 in the middle of Summer? No, but I'm not too warm in it. A 3/2 is more suitable of course and is what I'd recommend. A spring suit would also work in August on really hot days that are rare. It's never comfortable to trunk it up here. And I prefer to have a wetsuit on anyway for buoyancy proposes(I can't float on my back without a wetsuit without exerting effort.) A wetsuit makes it much much safer.

And I've seen the odd person every time I've gone out in a full winter suit since the beginning of october. Certainly didn't need the hood in the beginning of october, but nothing wrong with that extra core warmth.

Little Rhody is talking about wearing a 3/2 in 30-40 degree air temps with a 30mph offshores(forecast for tommoror)....lmao
    I'd be cold before I even got wet like that. Why people love being miserable is beyond me. But hey. It has no effect on me. Whatever suits them
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 7, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

i've been going with my 6/5 no gloves or booties in mass. if i had a good 4/3 i'd be wearing that but this seems to do the trick. plus i hate wearing booties!

just got out of the water with my 3 mil. i live right near the beach I suite up in my basement. whats the big deal? water is 57-58 a few more weeks Ill be in a 4 mil. not sure why this is so bizarre. when I lived in san diego i wore a 3 mil year round and was always good to go and the water there in the winter is 57-59. ive been living in the northeast a while and have hair on my chest. I can handle it. plus I am very comfy. waves were good today even with the wind!

Quote Originally Posted by shark-hunter View Post
    Yeah I don't really understand some people. I mean people are talking about wearing 4/3's in the middle of winter. I can wear a 4/3 in the middle of summer and be perfectly comfortable and not too warm. Do I need a 4/3 in the middle of Summer? No, but I'm not too warm in it. A 3/2 is more suitable of course and is what I'd recommend. A spring suit would also work in August on really hot days that are rare. It's never comfortable to trunk it up here. And I prefer to have a wetsuit on anyway for buoyancy proposes(I can't float on my back without a wetsuit without exerting effort.) A wetsuit makes it much much safer.

And I've seen the odd person every time I've gone out in a full winter suit since the beginning of october. Certainly didn't need the hood in the beginning of october, but nothing wrong with that extra core warmth.

Little Rhody is talking about wearing a 3/2 in 30-40 degree air temps with a 30mph offshores(forecast for tommoror)....lmao
    I'd be cold before I even got wet like that. Why people love being miserable is beyond me. But hey. It has no effect on me. Whatever suits them

6 mill right now in november come on man. grow some sack.do you only have like 2 suits? then I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerhody View Post
    6 mill right now in november come on man. grow some sack.do you only have like 2 suits? then I understand.
    hmmm....how does shivering make you have big balls? Does it make you feel like a big man? lol I like being comfortable. I'd rather be in the tropics to be quite honest. lol
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by littlerhody View Post
    just got out of the water with my 3 mil. i live right near the beach I suite up in my basement. whats the big deal? water is 57-58 a few more weeks Ill be in a 4 mil. not sure why this is so bizarre. when I lived in san diego i wore a 3 mil year round and was always good to go and the water there in the winter is 57-59. ive been living in the northeast a while and have hair on my chest. I can handle it. plus I am very comfy. waves were good today even with the wind!
    Water temps not the issue right now. Air temps are. Half your body is out of the water and the air temps are low 30s with strong winds. People wonder why they get sick.
    Last edited by shark-hunter; Nov 7, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Wore my 5/4/3 last weekend here in RI, no hood w/ 3mm gloves and booties, but the 5/4 wasn't necessary. I could easily have worn my 3/2. I won't be getting out the 6mm for another couple of weeks. There are so many variables like body type, quality of wetsuit, and how hard you paddle that this discssion might be worthless.

water temp 38, air temp 0, freezing spray, 4 inches of snow on the beach, heater busted in the truck and i'm rocking a 5/4. if i feel a chill i just paddle harder.

cresto4 is the authority on cold water surfing. Love Kenai but ony saw it in the summer.