LOGIN | REGISTER

Thread: Merrick Glass

Merrick Glass

Does anybody know what companies glass for channel islands?? I know that moonlight does some glassing for them... but thats only a fraction of the boards.... furthermore, is there any way to tell where a board has been glassed, besides a simple company logo on the tail? I'm asking cause im waiting for my custom to come in, and my curiosity is growing about its glass job...

A lot of CI boards are glassed at Northwind Glassing. There's a third shop that also does glassing for them but I forget the name. Northwind does a good job. In fact, Brian Wynn used to glass there. Outstanding Jersey shaper/glasser, if you've never heard of him. The only thing I would be worried about with the Merricks is that the UL (ultra light) glassed boards ding easily. I know. I've become an expert at ding repair because of my UL Flyer.

Quote Originally Posted by epidemicepic View Post
    Does anybody know what companies glass for channel islands?? I know that moonlight does some glassing for them... but thats only a fraction of the boards.... furthermore, is there any way to tell where a board has been glassed, besides a simple company logo on the tail? I'm asking cause im waiting for my custom to come in, and my curiosity is growing about its glass job...
    Did you specify how you wanted it glassed? I wudn't spend the bucks for a custom CI and not have them use S cloth.

Images

Merrick glass

"The Lab" and "Global Glassing" also glass for Merrick as do others. I've not seen a bad glass job from any of them. You can get your board glassed anyway you want when ordering a custom. The UL's are exactly that "ultra Light" they are not entended to be strong, they are entended to be light and high performance. I usually order mine with a 6 & 4 on top and a 4 on the bottom. They hold up very well. My kids all prefer the UL's and I fix them all the time, but they are the highest performance. For the average surfer I would not recommend the UL's only because they are not as durable as a slightly heavier glass job and those boards ain't cheep. If your board doesn't have a UL label it is probably a 6/4 top & 4 bottom which will hold up as well as any PU board on the market. If you want a really strong board try the Volan "S" glass, I believe it is a 7oz weight.

Global Glassing was the other one I was thinking of. Don't recall hearing about The Lab. I really do like the feel of my UL Flyer, but it's just too frustrating how easily it dings. I can't justify them for myself and probably wouldn't buy another CI in UL. Chances are if you ordered through a shop they usually have a convention by which they order all their custom boards. Just ask at the shop. Most order 6/4 top and 4 bottom. If you ordered direct then they should have asked when taking the order.

I have a Merrick V thats really old, it was global glassing and i was never particularly happy with the glass. That being said i have 2 boards from Lost that have been my go to boards this winter, and the Merrick V was infinity better than those, you might as well have just wrapped them in saran wrap for how easily they get pressure dents. So anyway.... i wasn't really thinking about glass for whatever reason when i ordered it, and it is going to be an all out performance board for the best days, its a 6'1'' MBM2, real rockered out and thinned down, so im guessing it will probably be from UL ?? i ordered from Chauncey's, and they didn't ask me what kinda glass i wanted, i'll shoot them an email and see if they do have a standard like you said, Thanks everybody!

Also... i have a black beauty from Bob Haakkenson Glassing, and its super tough, ive had it for 2 years and never dinged it : )...... even put holes in other ppl's boards with it by accident a few times.... probably alot thicker glass than ur average pro board tho, it definatly feels it compared w/ the ...Lost
    Last edited by epidemicepic; Mar 12, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

i had a flyer and it broke the first day i surfed it. board rocked but i could just about put my fingers through it. unless you do mondo airs, u should use 6 on the bottom and s on top with 4 on the deck patches. it will hold up a lot longer...esp on the custom shapes!