LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sandy: Water Quality Update Thread

Hoping to keep current information here for the local crew itching to get back in the water... but ultimately, the choice is yours.

11/8 update:

DEP water quality monitoring office says advisories are in effect for Raritan Bay, Sandy Hook Bay, and Barnegat Bay. Fishing and shellfishing suspended. Sewage processing facilities not fully operational, and continue to pump untreated, contaminated water into local water bodies. The state DEP is still running in crisis mode, with current efforts focusing on removing oil and containers from the recent accidents before the oil spreads and containment areas begin to leak or breach. Several ocean bathing beaches are being sampled and tested for bacterial contamination, but results are not available yet. I'll post them here as soon as I hear what those results are (or anybody else who gets that or other reliable information, please post it here). Other coastal sewage facilities may or may not be fully operational. It is advised that you check your local authorities for updates... post them here, if you get that info. Monmouth County facilities include Monmouth Beach, Long Branch, Deal and Asbury... maybe others. Again... if you know, post here.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Nov 8, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks LB, Im looking forward to hitting the suds down here this weekend. Catch and release for the rest of this season looks like a good idea.

Thanks LBCrew. I will post to this when I find updates for west LI facilities as well.

Went surfing today in westhampton new york water smelled as tho I was in a cespool. It was pretty nasty actually but the waves were pumpin so me and a friend went in anyways.2012-11-08 07.25.42.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by westftbll95 View Post
    Went surfing today in westhampton new york water smelled as tho I was in a cespool. It was pretty nasty actually but the waves were pumpin so me and a friend went in anyways.2012-11-08 07.25.42.jpg
    Damn, even westhampton too. Friend in LB went out too and his pictures look the similar. Epic turd sessions.

LB. Do you have any idea what beaches in Monmouth County are accessible right now (for non residents)? My friend in Lake Como tells me you can't even go to the beach in the Belmar-Manasquan area.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/wms/bmw/sandy.html

southern jersey passing fecal coliform testing but that is all they are testing. links has more info including shell fish bed testing site results
    Last edited by wombat; Nov 8, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

wombat... excellent link. thanks. E. coli tests are good indicators of water quality. If e. coli levels are safe, other, more dangerous forms of bacteria are likely to be low/safe, too... hep, dysentery, leptospirosis, etc. Not to say e. coli won't make you sick... it will.

Anyone have a similar site for western Long Island? Like long beach.

great thread guys. lets keep it going.