LOGIN | REGISTER

View Poll Results: Solo storm sesh or glass with the crowd?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Victory at Sea Solo Sesh

12 30.77%
  • Glassy Perfection with the Crowd

27 69.23%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'll hassle for glass any day of the week---well...not the California type of point break crowd hassle, but a beachie...no problemo.

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    What do you mean by surf alone gaff? paddling out with someone or literally being alone in the water? Just curious
    This weekend was weird man. Saturday it was literally a ghost town, I hardly ever see it like that, especially not in even marginally surf-able conditions. I was the only person in the water on my break for almost 2 hours, with the exception of 1 boogie boarder, a short boarder and a long boarder, all who tried to paddle out before giving up after ten minutes and heading back up the cliff. So alone as in: the only surfer in the water.

Sunday it was a completely different story and as crowded as I’ve ever seen, like July 4th or Labor Day crowded. Same break, 100% different place. Sunday the waves were really clean, but it was in some ways a much more difficult surf just cause there was such a gang of heads in the water.

To be honest with you, I would’ve liked some company on Saturday, I prefer surfing with my family or good buddies, nothing beats that vibe and safety is a concern when surfing alone (don’t surf alone chillens); unfortunately, most of my friends aren’t as motivated (we’re all in our mid-to-late 30’s and have families, careers and responsibilities), my Dad and Father-In-law are just too old to hang anymore and the rest of my family don’t live close by. Can’t even drag most ‘em out for dawn patrol or full moon sessions, let alone some nasty, wet, storm chop. The only buddy I have who’s down to paddle out in any condition was my neighbor who moved back to Oahu last month saying he was never coming back. Dude’s committed, lives, eats, breathes and sleeps it; he’s also unmarried, doesn’t have kids, lives in a van and works at surf shops or surf schools. Typically it doesn’t matter though, as there’s always someone else out. Many I know as local surfing acquaintances. I paddled out Friday afternoon/evening after work, it was a weaker version of Saturday as the storm hadn’t blown in yet. There were still 3 other people out there; that’s what I expected on Sat instead of absolutely nobody.

If I’m physically and mentally able, I’m paddling out everyday there’s something to ride; if I had to take my pick between the 2 days, Saturday won. I had more fun and wondered, when faced with these two rare absolutes of no one else or everyone and their dogs, what do other people prefer? The crowd on Sunday was crazytown and as difficult to deal with as the wind and rip on Saturday; just in a different way. 3 out 4 surfers agree, good waves and crowds are better than bad conditions all alone.

I’ll tell you what, it’s so flat right now, that if someone wants to stand on the beach and chuck rocks, I’ll surf the ripples and return the favor. I’ll take any sized crowd and conditions over no waves at all.
    So FLAT.

Thank g-d for frequent flyer miles and PTO.

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    And gaffer it's Tagalog not tagalong. Lol. Took me a minute to figure out what the hell you were talking about.
    Heh hehe, it's all lumpia, pansit and adobo to me Cresto. Gotta start proof-readin these and stop trustin the auto-keereckt to know what's right to write.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    I'll hassle for glass any day of the week---well...not the California type of point break crowd hassle, but a beachie...no problemo.
    Agree...I'll take glassy quality waves with a crowd, over a solo session in slop.

I would take the crowded glass over the solo mess. Of course Southern NC may not be as congested as other surf regions, but you can never pass up on a clean day; especially when you're on the East Coast. Either way, surfing should always "victory at sea."

I surfed alone a few times. It's way more fun to go with my girls. I take crappy conditions with friends any day over perfect conditions alone. My break is never crowded. I guess it's not as popular as some of the better breaks.
    Last edited by Betty; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Images
    I had a glassy waist wave all to myself today, just how I like it.

If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound.
    Victory at sea conditons are fun but can get spooky if your really solo....
    Getting the set wave to hoots is one of the best rushes for me. I've had some unreal sessions with complete strangers in alot of cool places. Splitting peaks with yer crew at home should happen more.