LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Surfing after Sandy

What are people's opinion on when it will be "okay" to surf again? (not just from a moral perspective, but also chemicals, ocean water debris, beach access)

i surfed at home (ocnj) for the first time post-storm this past thursday. it felt weird, like i shouldn't be doing what i was doing. probably the first (& hopefully only) time i've felt guilty going surfing, but i definitely needed it after a solid week of recovery/clean up work.

I'm going to be in LI for Thanksgiving ... do you think there would there be any water quality issues if I went as far east as Southampton or even Montauk?
    Last edited by jasorod; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:40 PM.

You should be okay that far east, I was out around Mastic and the water was clean and no debris

This is the first time I can ever remember feeling guilty about checking my spots. The devastating affects of this storm are everywhere.

I know what you mean, but after all it is nature...brings this to thought, think about all the other places in the world that go through turmoil like this or greater...we hear about it on the news for a week then its out of our lives. Like Japan or Haiti or even New Orleans... when actually there is a lot of distress still going on it those areas a long time after the disaster occurs. Now it is different, because it is here and we see it everywhere... these are difficult times my friends, not for the North East but the whole world. Famine, genocide, natural disasters in one place after another, the media keeps things under wraps pretty well though... here come the holidays!!! Sandy will be pretty obsolete once the thanksgiving-black friday-cyber monday-christmas deals/stories return.

Last week I know a couple of people got sick from the water after surfing the snowstorm. As far as debris I'm not sure, but if debris is still floating around it is quite dangerous

i live in southampton and i went the friday right after the storm and the water was fine. It was just a little dark

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i surfed at home (ocnj) for the first time post-storm this past thursday. it felt weird, like i shouldn't be doing what i was doing. probably the first (& hopefully only) time i've felt guilty going surfing, but i definitely needed it after a solid week of recovery/clean up work.
    How was the water quality?? Any debris floating around???

Images
    In Puerto Rico we are in the water just before the storm hits and the very next day, that is usually the best day because the offshore winds!!!