LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Images

Immunizations and Nicaragua

I've got a trip planned for the winter, and I was talking with my Doc, and she suggested a Hep A vac, along with malaria pills, and typhoid vac. You guys bother with this stuff?

There is some nasty **** out there. Take the suggestions seriously. On top of the vaccines, stay away from the following:

-Rivermouths after a rain. There is no EPA down there so the waste basically goes from the toilet to the lineup

-any food that has to be cooked. I ate some chicken on a stick from a street cart in managua once and I think I still feel sick from it. Stick to fruits and veggies, or a REALLY trusted restaurant.

-Snakes, man, take 'em seriously. Some of the most deadly snakes in the world (see fur de lance) call the arid regions of southwest nica and northwest costa rica home. Always carry a flash light at night.

-Scorpions.. take em seriously too, man. They like to hang out under beds, in shoes, in showers, etc. I once took a shower with a couple big red ones, didn't realize it until I was drying off. Nearly had a heart attack. Get stung by one of those and no surfey surfey for days.

-water, even ice in the bar drinks. Some areas in or near the mountains have great water, some areas pull straight from the rivers

-watch your back. In general, the public is very friendly. Don't forget about that civil war, it is over but corruption and drugs and violence are out there floating around. IF you go out looking for trouble, you WILL find it. Bring cash to pay off the corrupt cops. Many are nice and helpful, many just want your gringo bucks.

Pura vida, enjoy the trip
    Last edited by leethestud; Nov 14, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    There is some nasty **** out there. Take the suggestions seriously. On top of the vaccines, stay away from the following:

-Rivermouths after a rain. There is no EPA down there so the waste basically goes from the toilet to the lineup

-any food that has to be cooked. I ate some chicken on a stick from a street cart in managua once and I think I still feel sick from it. Stick to fruits and veggies, or a REALLY trusted restaurant.

-Snakes, man, take 'em seriously. Some of the most deadly snakes in the world (see fur de lance) call the arid regions of southwest nica and northwest costa rica home. Always carry a flash light at night.

-Scorpions.. take em seriously too, man. They like to hang out under beds, in shoes, in showers, etc. I once took a shower with a couple big red ones, didn't realize it until I was drying off. Nearly had a heart attack. Get stung by one of those and no surfey surfey for days.

-water, even ice in the bar drinks. Some areas in or near the mountains have great water, some areas pull straight from the rivers

-watch your back. In general, the public is very friendly. Don't forget about that civil war, it is over but corruption and drugs and violence are out there floating around. IF you go out looking for trouble, you WILL find it. Bring cash to pay off the corrupt cops. Many are nice and helpful, many just want your gringo bucks.

Pura vida, enjoy the trip
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

What I don't understand is VB juveniles posing as surf travel experts. As is the case here.

Poseur, you are called.

Any of this 'information' that you posted is available from any travel site or from many previous posters on swellinfo forums.

Look....you're a young guy, full of piss & vinegar, Sandbridge is your world where your da-da taught you to surf. It's a small world & you demonstrate that with your vitriolic (look it up) defense of WRV's (lack of) client service.

You get off on posting your opinions that specifically attack on other posters. Because you are....see the above.

Now, some may rush to your defense, whatever.
    Some may say that you're trying to provide helpful travel info, whatever.

But you & I both know that you just don't get outta town that often.
    You're an authority on very little; perhaps the beer selection at the 7-11 on 40th Street?

You 'shred' Sandbridge, in your own opinion; yet others have seen you surf & have called you out on your arrogance.

And that's the thing that I have a problem with: your arrogance.

You're the guy that shiiiites on others for no reason other than self-gratification.
    You're the guy that has the gear & flaunts it with the sense that gear makes you somebody.
    You're the guy that snakes anyone & everyone & then bellows about being a local.
    You're the guy who lives for this forum & can not handle it when you get criticized for your attitude.

You're a little boy who has yet to grow up and you're an engineer by training & expense.
    Go build something; instead of tearing down.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

What I don't understand is VB juveniles posing as surf travel experts. As is the case here.

Poseur, you are called.

Any of this 'information' that you posted is available from any travel site or from many previous posters on swellinfo forums.

Look....you're a young guy, full of piss & vinegar, Sandbridge is your world where your da-da taught you to surf. It's a small world & you demonstrate that with your vitriolic (look it up) defense of WRV's (lack of) client service.

You get off on posting your opinions that specifically attack on other posters. Because you are....see the above.

Now, some may rush to your defense, whatever.
    Some may say that you're trying to provide helpful travel info, whatever.

But you & I both know that you just don't get outta town that often.
    You're an authority on very little; perhaps the beer selection at the 7-11 on 40th Street?

You 'shred' Sandbridge, in your own opinion; yet others have seen you surf & have called you out on your arrogance.

And that's the thing that I have a problem with: your arrogance.

You're the guy that shiiiites on others for no reason other than self-gratification.
    You're the guy that has the gear & flaunts it with the sense that gear makes you somebody.
    You're the guy that snakes anyone & everyone & then bellows about being a local.
    You're the guy who lives for this forum & can not handle it when you get criticized for your attitude.

You're a little boy who has yet to grow up and you're an engineer by training & expense.
    Go build something; instead of tearing down.
    Ouch, tell him how you really feel!

Damm Lee, guess you wont be getting a Christmas card from that yankee guy.

Images
    Thanks Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterjasson View Post
    I've got a trip planned for the winter, and I was talking with my Doc, and she suggested a Hep A vac, along with malaria pills, and typhoid vac. You guys bother with this stuff?
    HepA is a great vac to get if your surfer. Do it whether you're going to Nica or not. Only problem is it takes 3 shots broken up by 3 months (maybe 6, I forget) each.

Lots of links as to why

malaria isnt a problem. maybe get the others if you do or plan on doing alot of travel off the beaten track. the Hep A vaccination, i believe, is a series of 2 shots. the first one covers you for a year then get the 2nd one and ur good for life. not sure about typhoid.
    You wont have to worry about rain with the rivermouths since your going during the dry season. that did happen to me once in El Salvador tho. i was in La Libertad, its a pretty big town/city and the first big rain came, it was a miserable 3 days of puke out my ass.

[QUOTE=gnurider7;146922]the Hep A vaccination, i believe, is a series of 2 shots. the first one covers you for a year then get the 2nd one and ur good for life.QUOTE]

This sounds right, been a long time for me.

Images
    The scorpions are not the most dangerous bugs in Nicaragua its the centipedes you have to look out for. When I was there a friend of mine was stung by a small black scorpion that was in his shorts. The remedy, drink three cups of strong coffee and swim for a while to get his heart pumping.

That being said shake everything out before you put it on.