LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VB Water Temps

VB Water Temps

Looks like we might be having some post-Thanksgiving swell. Can you get away with wearing a nice 3/2 in VB?

Images
    maybe. hopefully the forecast holds up. 3/2 maybe if you got gloves, booties, and depending on air temp, a hood. You wont be in long though. ive been wearing a 4/3 for about 3 weeks now. (i have holes in it though haha)

Thanks man. I have very nice booties, gloves and hood that connects to a vest. I've surfed that in March and did fine but it was cold. Treating myself to a 4/3 for the holidays but don't think I'll be able to buy it til Friday or Saturday cuz everything will be closed on Thursday and I don't get in til Wednesday night

The air-temp is suppose to be 60 on Friday during the day ... so you may do just fine, at least for two hours. I don't think you could stay in 3+ hours though, but I guess that depends on you tolerance to the cold (I know couldn't with a 3/2).

I've had to quit winter surfing. It's the only time I could get some 1st st time away from the crowds. I got surfer ear really bad. My head closes up for a few days after going out in the cold. I've had Docs offer to drill them out but, I don't trust them, they're only "practicing" medicine. I used to wear 4/3 with built in hood. boots gloves and socks.

4'3 hood boots. Water is freezing.

Images
    ima do a 4/3 boots and gloves. 60 degree temps fri and light winds, should be able to do it hoodless. looks like its gonna be delwwwwicious friday

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    I got surfer ear really bad. My head closes up for a few days after going out in the cold. I've had Docs offer to drill them out but, I don't trust them, they're only "practicing" medicine. I used to wear 4/3 with built in hood. boots gloves and socks.
    Scheduled to have my right ear drilled on December 19, and the left ear drilled a few weeks later. 90% blockage due to surfers ear, intermittent loss of hearing for about the past five years. The surgery is low risk, but i won't be surfing between mid december and mid march, most likely due to the surgery and recovery. For those of you saying things like, "i can get away without a hood" in the 50-55 degree water, be aware that there are potential consequences to prolonged exposure of your ears to cold water and wind. Hood systems in the 1980s - early 1990s sucked, most 5 mm wetsuits were hoodless and i remember rarely bothering with one back then.
    Last edited by mitchell; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

Images
    What kind of earplugs can you yet to prevent surfers ear

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Scheduled to have my right ear drilled on December 19, and the left ear drilled a few weeks later. 90% blockage due to surfers ear, intermittent loss of hearing for about the past five years. The surgery is low risk, but i won't be surfing between mid december and mid march, most likely due to the surgery and recovery. For those of you saying things like, "i can get away without a hood" in the 50-55 degree water, be aware that there are potential consequences to prolonged exposure of your ears to cold water and wind. Hood systems in the 1980s - early 1990s sucked, most 5 mm wetsuits were hoodless and i remember rarely bothering with one back then.
    In 01 we quit our jobs to move to CR. The week before I left I got a physical. As an after thought, right before I left the Docs office, I had him look in my ear because it felt damp. He said I had tumors ion my head. So he sent me to a ENT doc 2 days before my flight out. He looked in my ear and said, "you surf right?" Then he told me I had surfer ear. He then took a long needle and touched me where I've never been touched before. He poked my SE a couple of times to show me it was hard. He broke the skin. When I got to CR my ear was infected. it finally burst under the tropical heat. The ENT doc suggested making a solution half alcohol and half vinegar, used an eye dropper to put 2 drops in each ear before and after a surf.