LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VB Water Temps

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by super fish View Post
    What kind of earplugs can you yet to prevent surfers ear
    I already have advanced surfer's ear so prevention is no longer an option, but the doctors i have seen have told me that they think the two primary causes are:

excessive exposure to cold water in the ears.
    excessive exposure to cold air and wind in the ears while surfing.

I didn't like Doc's Pro Plugs, which are popular among a lot of people, so I use Macks silicone putty plugs to keep the water out. I pretty much wear them year round every time i surf.

I also wear a bonnet hood, skull cap (whatever you want to call it) to keep my head and ears warm now that air and water temps are below 55. I've got an O'Neill hood that i like a lot. Obviously built in hooded wetsuit once it gets a bit colder.

These two practices seem to keep the cold water out, which is helping reduce the symptoms of having surfers ear which are 1) loss of hearing 2) infections both due to the water never draining out.
    Last edited by mitchell; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Hey Mitchell,
    Ouch! sorry to hear about the surgeries, good luck and wishing you a full recovery. Make sure to get a few good meals beforehand, chewing may be difficult with the ear(s) packed with gauze
    I have had both ears drilled (left one around 97-98 right one was done a few years later about 2001)I was out of the water for 6-8 weeks with each one.
    Definitely good advice about using hoods, surfer’s ear can be prevented (or at least minimized). I started surfing in 77 and probably never had a hood until about 87, by then the damage was pretty far along. I use them now, would prefer not to have to have my ears reamed again.
    Good luck
    Jim

Images
    Sounds absolutely terrible

Friday looks like great weather. However, Saturday and Sunday the air will be like winter especially for dawn patrol. Could get away with a 3/2, boots, gloves, maybe hood Friday but the rest will be chilly.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JTS View Post
    Make sure to get a few good meals beforehand, chewing may be difficult with the ear(s) packed with gauze
    Thanks...i plan to have some cold beers on hand for the painful chewing, no surfing phase of recovery.

Images
    Friday needs to get here now!!! So stoked!! marathon session is gonna happen

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    . . .I didn't like Doc's Pro Plugs, which are popular among a lot of people, so I use Macks silicone putty plugs to keep the water out. I pretty much wear them year round every time i surf. . . .
    I swear by Mack's. Cheap and you can buy them in any decent drug store. I'm prone to ear infections and only have 25% hearing in my left ear, that being said, my GP says the insides of my ears look fine, no crustifications. Keep a box in the car, in my back pack and on the shelves by the front door.

good luck with the surgery, Mitchell.

I guess i should wear my hood more often, even though i hate wearing it, definitely don't want to have to go through surgery. Thanks for making others aware of the problem.

not that it's always accurate, or accurate in every area, but i've found the water temps posted in regions on this site, or at least near me are usually close enough. maybe give or take a degree or two.

Images
    yea swellinfo also seems more accurate with the with the winds than surfline as well. granted i live 2 blocks from the beach so i get to check my self but still its pretty good