LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Winter in Jersey

I never surfed the coldest parts of the winter before, but this year because of all the lost time this fall I think I am going to give it a shot.
    I wear a 3/2. I usually wear this through 4/3 weather, and do not own a 4/3.

Here is my question: I surf North Jersey. If you had to pick one wetsuit to last you through the winter, both the warmer months like end of Nov and Dec, and the colder ones, even if it meant putting up with a little bit of cold, would it be better to go with a 5/4 or a 6/5/4? Is it possible to last the winter in just a 5/4?
    I ask because I lost my job and can not afford both. Any feedback would be great.
    Last edited by ThatSlyB; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

5/4 throughout the winter and your good, might get chilly after surfing a few hours and 20mph+ offshores howling in yo face. 6/5/4 would just be added warmth

Do you use 5 mm boots and gloves too with the 5/4? Or would it be better to go with 8 mill boots

A 5/4 should be fine all winter. I think 5 mil boots would be a bad idea though. I wear 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves. I wear a 4/3 all winter. When it gets into the 30's, I need to wear a heated vest under my suit. If it's too windy and cold, I'll just stay home.

Thanks for the feedback guys
    Last edited by ThatSlyB; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inland View Post
    A 5/4 should be fine all winter. I think 5 mil boots would be a bad idea though. I wear 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves. I wear a 4/3 all winter. When it gets into the 30's, I need to wear a heated vest under my suit. If it's too windy and cold, I'll just stay home.
    exactly what this guy said.i just came in after a lil sesh this afternoon.waves are good and the bars are lining up.but northjers is still toxic so i wouldnt surf ther.holgate n south lookin good,if ya can get in!!..i wear a 4/3 all year round.i have a hood i put on once it gets too cold.i got 5 mil boots andi can tell u they suck!!!go thicker.never tried the heated vest but it looks good

Look more at how the seams are done than how thick a suit you should get; granted it was mild but I was in a 3/2 all of last winter and was fine because the seams were stitched, glued and sealed with whatever that "liquid tape" crap is. I used to think that was just a sales gimmick that companies would hype up but having a suit now with that liquid tape, I can honestly say it makes a huge difference.

5/4 will do ya.

I wear 5mm boots and claws all winter, but I usually only surf for a couple hours at a time because of the short winter days. But I'm comfortable.

i wear a 4/3 year round in jersey and it keeps me warm. The only thing that ever gets cold is my fingers and toes after a while even with 5mm glove and boots. I 5/4/3 would be fine, no doubt

I use a minimalist approach to my suits. A 3/2 and a 6/5/4. 7 mil boots and mittons are 5 mil I think. A 5/4/3 can be used instead of the 6/5/4, but i prefer the extra warmth in trade for a tad less mobility. This setup is enough for anything NJ dishes out, and will handle mid winter jaunts to RI as well. There are times between seasons where I am a tad too warm, but its not bad. Other suits, boots, gloves in different thicknesses can be nice, but aren't needed.

You can make it all winter with a 4 mil, but it's not ideal, and I think anyone that tells you otherwise is kidding themselves....or they havent felt the warmth of a warmer suit, or dont do long sessions.

The seam info already mentiined is very important for a winter suit. Also, getting a suit that fits you, ( size and shape) is key too. Different brands fit different.

I also believe an attached hood is critical. Minimizes the possibility of flushing.