LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6/5/4/excel dry lock for them cloudy days with off-shores huffing at 20+ mph, wind chill in the teens nothing else will suffice. 7 mill. boots and 7 mill claw gloves, you have to be warm or it's no fun! January/Feb. can be brutal but also have epic conditions... better then any summer swell. IMHO stay warm!

By the way I'm pushing 50 and have poor circulation, but I'll take solid Wilderness PR in baggies anytime in January over Dirty Jersey..
    Last edited by marksharky; Nov 23, 2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Age

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    ...never tried the heated vest but it looks good
    I borrowed it from a friend on a day when the water was in the upper 30's. I was going to stay home because the wind was heavy offshore and the air was also in the upper 30's. I was toasty for a few hours.

I wish they made heated boots and gloves.

i wear 5mil boots & 3mil gloves w/ a 5.5/4.5 all winter, but my hands & feet don't get cold easily & i hate the way the thicker gloves feel.

xcel doesn't make a 6/5 drylock.. 5/4 drylock will get you through. just have good gloves and boots.. if you're paddling and moving and not sitting around like a buoy you're fine. unless u surf maine u don't need a 6mm suit and even some mainers wear 5mm suits

Ive web wearing a 4/3 every winter since I was 14. Get a good suit with a detachable hood so you can wear it in the fall and spring when it's a bit chilly. Obeill mutants are ok and so are rip curl it doesn't matter really as long as its sturdy. 5 mil gloves and 7 mil boots for those snowy days when club foot is sneakin in

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i wear 5mil boots & 3mil gloves w/ a 5.5/4.5 all winter, but my hands & feet don't get cold easily & i hate the way the thicker gloves feel.
    same thing here.

As I've gotten older, I've gotten colder. When I was young I would get the winter with a 3/2, then 4/3, now 6/5/4.

Comes down to individual tolerance. I needed a hood the other day, my buddy went the whole session with out one.

Is the 6/5/4 over kill? Yes, but I'd rather be warmer. Whatever thickness suit - go with 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves minimum for water under 45.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfootr View Post
    As I've gotten older, I've gotten colder. When I was young I would get the winter with a 3/2, then 4/3, now 6/5/4.

Comes down to individual tolerance. I needed a hood the other day, my buddy went the whole session with out one.

Is the 6/5/4 over kill? Yes, but I'd rather be warmer. Whatever thickness suit - go with 7 mil boots and 5 mil gloves minimum for water under 45.
    i don't know how you guys do it. went out Friday wearing only a 3/2, boots & gloves and was reminded of why i don't like wintertime surfing: it's not the cold, it's the bulk and weight and restrictiveness of being in a wetsuit. maybe i've gotten spoiled down here in SE NC, but i am not my usual spry and agile self when full-suited...and my surfing reflects it. Friday was a pretty sweet day around here (chest-high barrels) but i was slow and stiff. i suspect it might have something to do with age but it's somewhat frustrating and not likely to get any better until next April. kudos to you guys (especially the older ones) who stay out all winter.

i wear a 4/3 5mil boots and gloved a 2mil vest and a 5mil hood all winter but usually dont surf for more that 2 hrs

Jersey is really great places for travel you will find many places here .

days inn kissimmee
    Last edited by Edric; Nov 26, 2012 at 07:35 AM.