LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64
  1. #1

    First CR trip Late Jan/Early Feb

    Hey Everyone-
    My wife and I will be going to CR for the first time and I was hoping to get some info/advice. I surf, my wife does not. I'm looking for lodging with a pool that's on the beach and has a decent break out in front. I'm thinking of the Tamarindo area. We want to be around good food but don't need the 'night life'. We're looking to book end of Jan/early feb. Having a surf guide would be great since I want to have the option take day trips to the best spots, if that type of thing is available. Also need stuff for my wife to do - yoga, ziplines, rainforest tours...that type stuff. My wife needs to feel safe on the beach while I'm out surfing. Does anyone know if a place like this exists? Well only be spending about a week or so down there.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Stay in Playa Grande...perfect spot, food is great, the break is good, pool...and Tamarindo i only 15 minutes away if you two decide you want to go out one night. When i went I stayed at the RipJack Inn, it's a great place and they have excellent food, but there a couple of other places you can stay, the surf shop down there Frijolos Locos offers suite rentals. You'll have to travel for the ziplines and rainforest tours, but wherever you stay they'll be able to help you make arrangements.

    It is safe down there, when you've never been there you don't know what to expect, but the Ticos are very friendly people, but like anywhere else there's always going to be some bad apples. PM me if you want anymore info. There is a great seafood place in Tamarindo on the beach, you and your wife should definitely hit it up while your down. Robert August was leaving as we were pulling in. The ceviche is the bombkilla and a natural afrodisiac..
    Last edited by Koki Barrels; Nov 26, 2012 at 01:30 AM.

  3. #3
    Check out Vista Guapa surf camp, it is located in Jaco, Costa Rica in the central part of the country. Perfect setup for what you are looking for, the camp offers airline pick up and return. You have three surf sessions everyday as long as the winds and tides agree with one of the surf guides they have. For food they offer home made breakfest, and for dinner they take you to some of the local restaurants. For your wife they offer a bunch of things to do such as yoga, zip lining, and many others. Great place for a couple

  4. #4
    The Playa Grande/Tamarindo, advice is pretty good--especially since the wife doesn't surf--comforts of pool, food, drink, air conditioning etc.---+ surf breaks from beach to reef (Aveones),and rivermouth.

    Aloha, Randy

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lo-EZ-Anna
    Posts
    126
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myer View Post
    The Playa Grande/Tamarindo, advice is pretty good--especially since the wife doesn't surf--comforts of pool, food, drink, air conditioning etc.---+ surf breaks from beach to reef (Aveones),and rivermouth.

    Aloha, Randy

    Keep in mind that Jan is HOT... the sand will be nearly unwalkable noon till 3ish.

    Ive been to Tamarindo twice this year; zero problems what so ever, great people, great food... all around good vibe.

    Stayed at WRSC, a safe secure home base and can go on different breaks with intermediate or advance groups with guides/instructors; Avellanes, Playa Negra, Little Hawaii, and 50$ or less to go to Witchs Rock or Ollies if its breaking good.


    Have a great time!

  6. #6

    grande is a good call...

    Quote Originally Posted by headrow View Post
    Hey Everyone-
    My wife and I will be going to CR for the first time and I was hoping to get some info/advice. I surf, my wife does not. I'm looking for lodging with a pool that's on the beach and has a decent break out in front. I'm thinking of the Tamarindo area. We want to be around good food but don't need the 'night life'. We're looking to book end of Jan/early feb. Having a surf guide would be great since I want to have the option take day trips to the best spots, if that type of thing is available. Also need stuff for my wife to do - yoga, ziplines, rainforest tours...that type stuff. My wife needs to feel safe on the beach while I'm out surfing. Does anyone know if a place like this exists? Well only be spending about a week or so down there.

    Thanks
    also think about playa hermosa, believe there's a few decent hotels right on the beach, and the break speaks for itself. also, manuel antonio has a break (decent, certainly not cr's finest, though) on the north end, but the place is probably one of the most beautiful on the planet, good restaurants, good hotels, etc. plus you could drive to decent breaks not too far away (dominical, for example, is a 45 minute drive).

  7. #7
    I was going to suggest WRSC, then saw this.

    Chad, were you there the week of Sept. 8?

    Quote Originally Posted by chad05gt View Post
    Keep in mind that Jan is HOT... the sand will be nearly unwalkable noon till 3ish.

    Ive been to Tamarindo twice this year; zero problems what so ever, great people, great food... all around good vibe.

    Stayed at WRSC, a safe secure home base and can go on different breaks with intermediate or advance groups with guides/instructors; Avellanes, Playa Negra, Little Hawaii, and 50$ or less to go to Witchs Rock or Ollies if its breaking good.


    Have a great time!

  8. #8
    check out www.surfcosta.com
    Some guys from NJ that own some property down there and are really friendly/ know the area. Visited them 2 years ago and had a great time.

  9. #9
    go to playa negra, and stay in one of the bungalows there. hotel has a pool, and the beach is beautiful. price is more than reasonable, and the restaurant at the hotel is great. plus the 3-4 small restaurants in "town" are top notch as well. you'll have the 4-5 surf options just up the beach at avellenas, the obvious gem of a wave of negra right out front, plus the option to make the 1/2 hour drive to marbella if you want. all are easy to find, and people are very friendly there if you act respectful.

    stay away from jaco, its dirty. tamarindo is the same.

    even though its dry season, get a 4x4 SUV. the dirt roads are in horrible shape, and you can't go more than 5-10 mph on them if you're in a car, which makes the trip to and from the airport, plus the daily surf trips to avellenas or marbella nearly impossible.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lo-EZ-Anna
    Posts
    126
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I was going to suggest WRSC, then saw this.

    Chad, were you there the week of Sept. 8?
    O.O ... yup!