LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more Nike?

good. now hollister can step up.

It really isn't a big deal to the team riders. Most could actually care less who they actually ride for.

Just a sticker change and maybe some wetsuits.

Not quite, just more Hurley (owned by Nike).

Typical move for the Kook Swoosh, though. I bet the next news out of Hurley is a steep defunding of their team budgets, canceling their contracts with their lesser-known riders. This is probably just the beginning of a major change at Hurley--no longer picking up the unsung talents and hometown heroes.

O'neill is pretty much the only core brand out there. Speaking of which, rumors have been floating around about John John possibly dropping them (not the other way around) for a larger brand with deeper pockets (Quik, or Nikurley)

Quote Originally Posted by SurfingOC912 View Post
    It really isn't a big deal to the team riders. Most could actually care less who they actually ride for.

Just a sticker change and maybe some wetsuits.
    They'd better worry about how Kook Swoosh allocates the budget.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Not quite, just more Hurley (owned by Nike).

Typical move for the Kook Swoosh, though. I bet the next news out of Hurley is a steep defunding of their team budgets, canceling their contracts with their lesser-known riders. This is probably just the beginning of a major change at Hurley--no longer picking up the unsung talents and hometown heroes.

O'neill is pretty much the only core brand out there. Speaking of which, rumors have been floating around about John John possibly dropping them (not the other way around) for a larger brand with deeper pockets (Quik, or Nikurley)
    I dunno. John John actually seems like a person who wouldn't sell himself out to another team like that. what i mean by that is look at who shapes his boards. John pyzell, local guy from hawaii. granted, i've seen how his boards are magic for him but the point i'm getting at is that JJ could go to ANY shaper he wanted to and get the best boards made (i.e. ..lost,CI, DHD, Weber, whatever) but he still decides to keep him. i think it was an interview in the surfer's journal recently with john pyzell and he even told JJ that if his boards are holding him back, change shapers and JJ has yet to do that. However, i am not a pro surfer and I am not JJ so i guess he can do what he wants too. Wish i had that option haha

Images
    salt life all the way...

Actually the compensation goes down when moving the surfers over to Hurley. I know one of the women and it goes down quite a bit, the allotment of funds decreases.

They never really had a cash cow surfer to headline their brand. Julian Wilson is "boring" to some, and everybody hated Kolohe Andino. Plus its hard to for any new company to get into the surf market, we're tough to please and we stick the brands that we grew up with

I'm not surprised to learn Nike owns Hurley, and am actually relieved by the knowledge I'm not familiar enough with that brand to have known.