LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No more Nike?

^ and converse as well...as much as I love Nike running shoes I didn't buy into the Nike surf...would rather support a company (local if possible) founded in the industry than an an interloper looking to make cash...same thing with Adidas skate...soccer...yes...skateboarding....no. Is it hypocritical in some way or possibly make no sense at all? Maybe...

Images
    no sympathy for people or companies who can't make money off of surfing. surfing owes nobody a living.

Yea all the riders got moved to hurley. Most of them dont really care though...some have even admitted that theyd rather ride for hurley. At least they get actual surf gear instead of a pair of legacy boardshorts and some shoes..

the only thing that sucks about nike dropping out, is the fact that its going to givemore fous to the biggest turd in the "surf industry". hurley.

Images
    i actually got a pair of nike 6.0 boardshorts from my friend for free. they are actually really comfortable and durable. i guess i should keep them as collectibles haha

Other then on the pros I've never seen anything from Nike in the surf shops. I never could figure out what their angle was. It didn't surprise me Bob Hurley sold out either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    ^ and converse as well...as much as I love Nike running shoes I didn't buy into the Nike surf...would rather support a company (local if possible) founded in the industry than an an interloper looking to make cash...same thing with Adidas skate...soccer...yes...skateboarding....no. Is it hypocritical in some way or possibly make no sense at all? Maybe...
    Yeah, quick cash in on the surge in surf culture popularity of the last several years...and when revenue forecasts start looking a little under-projection it's time to duck out. And if rev continues to fall it's Hurley's fault and they get put to bed. I'm no fan of Hurley obviously but it's a brand kids do identify with and sales are sales, so it wouldn't be a good thing for it to go away.

And wtf is with Nike still staying in the "surf shoe" business? The one piece of the pie that actually has nothing to do with the sport and they want to still hold onto it. Just proves that they're in it for the image and always were, coercing purchase decisions based on image.

Quote Originally Posted by primo View Post
    Other then on the pros I've never seen anything from Nike in the surf shops. I never could figure out what their angle was. It didn't surprise me Bob Hurley sold out either.
    Just to be clear: Bob Hurley was forced out as CEO years back, pretty much into early retirement. THEN the board decided to take Nike's bid for a buyout. Hurley underperformed under the new CEO (can't remember who it was) because they changed their business model to more lifestyle and less core (the Kook Swoosh way). As a last ditch effort, they came crawling back to Bob Hurley to right the sinking ship--which he has been doing. Believe me, he didn't have to come back--especially for money. Plus he has positioned Hurley pretty well in outreach to nonprofits and social causes around the world, like Waves for Water.
    Don't get me wrong, I have never owned a piece of Hurley gear--I'm just not pretty boy enough. However, I do respect what seems to be a push within the company to return as much to what brought them up as possible.

I do think they will be cutting lots of people off their team in the next year, though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Just to be clear: Bob Hurley was forced out as CEO years back, pretty much into early retirement. THEN the board decided to take Nike's bid for a buyout. Hurley underperformed under the new CEO (can't remember who it was) because they changed their business model to more lifestyle and less core (the Kook Swoosh way). As a last ditch effort, they came crawling back to Bob Hurley to right the sinking ship--which he has been doing. Believe me, he didn't have to come back--especially for money. Plus he has positioned Hurley pretty well in outreach to nonprofits and social causes around the world, like Waves for Water.
    Don't get me wrong, I have never owned a piece of Hurley gear--I'm just not pretty boy enough. However, I do respect what seems to be a push within the company to return as much to what brought them up as possible.

I do think they will be cutting lots of people off their team in the next year, though.
    Good for Bob. It's good to at least see some dedication to the brand he started. I only have gotten one pair of boardshorts from hurley but that's because they are super durable. The original phantoms. Not too much stretch and still have not got a hole in them in 3 years. also no real boardrash either. only paid 39 bucks too. I stand by hurley phantoms for sure