LOGIN | REGISTER

Images

Question Who will win world tour?

I was just looking at the world title scenarios based on the possible Pipe results:
    http://www.aspworldtour.com/pdf/2012...sibilities.pdf

For Slater to win, he needs to make it to the Pipe Quarters and beat or tie Parkinson.
    For Fanning to win, he needs to win Pipe, and Slater needs to get knocked out by Quarters and Parkinson needs to get knocked out by Semis.
    All other scenarios Parkinson wins.

Should be fun to watch.
    How do you guys see this playing out?

I'd put money on seeing world title #12 for Kelly.

Lets go Parko!!!! Take down the king

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swellinfo View Post
    I was just looking at the world title scenarios based on the possible Pipe results:
    http://www.aspworldtour.com/pdf/2012...sibilities.pdf

For Slater to win, he needs to make it to the Pipe Quarters and beat or tie Parkinson.
    For Fanning to win, he needs to win Pipe, and Slater needs to get knocked out by Quarters and Parkinson needs to get knocked out by Semis.
    All other scenarios Parkinson wins.

Should be fun to watch.
    How do you guys see this playing out?

I'd put money on seeing world title #12 for Kelly.
    i honestly want to see parko win. I love watching ke11y but parko has been on tour so long and been so close so many times. the guy really deserves one. his surfing this year (well besides actually winning the event) has been championship worthy. if it came down to a parko slater final with conditions like the volcom pipe pro last year, it would be ALL TIME.

I think we're going to see KS 12 although I would love to see Parko take it away. Jimmy Slade hasn't made a good showing for his Triple Crown campaign, which is probably making him double down and pull out all the stops by the time Pipe comes around. Going for broke, so to speak.

The problem with this scenario is WAVES. If it's not completely macking Pipe and Backdoor, the whole race could be a craps shoot. Remember, last year's Pipe Masters saw better conditions than they have in at least 4 years.

I will always root for Kelly, the most incredible surfer I have ever seen. He is still at 40 incredible. He is also a right coaster, and I always root for Right Coasters, then continental US guys. That said I would like to see Parko win a title, with Kelly on tour when he does it.In order to add legitimacy to his title Parko needs Kelly to be there if he wins, if he does it after KS is gone, everyone will discount his title saying "he couldnt do it when Slater was comepeting". Joel needs a place in surfing history, and a title is what gives him that.

When Kelly calls it quits, who will be the next US competitor to come close to the title? most of the other top guys ( the Hobgoods) from the US are almost as old as him? seriously, Is there anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    When Kelly calls it quits, who will be the next US competitor to come close to the title? most of the other top guys ( the Hobgoods) from the US are almost as old as him? seriously, Is there anyone?
    Maybe JJ???

Dane Reynolds! HA, I have no idea really. I know he's a pro, is he even on the World Tour? Follow pro surfing 0%; only pay attention to it when it's at/near some break I'm surfing or wanting to surf at. So I find it to be an inconvenience more than anything else. I ran into Dane Reynolds & his girl last week at Sunset and he seemed like a pretty chill dude. Got to talking to him only cause I didn't want to walk into the frame while he was taking a picture of the blonde he was with. He got a little a embarrassed about somebody just standing there, dripping with a board underarm, waiting while they did the whole tourist deal. I offered to take a picture of both of them and so we got to chattin, turns out he was there for the contest in Haleiwa. Scruffy kid, longish hair, kinda skinny. Didn't look like your typical gym rat/pro surfer. Real nice guy, seemed embarrassed about being a "Pro-Surfer" and seemed to like the fact that I didn't recognize him. Which was a hoot, I only recognize people on my own break by their boards and the way they ride. I look down at the water and see somebody on a particular board, cuttin it up in their own way, I'm like, "Oh yeah, that's so-an-so." See 'em at one of the bars around town or in Vons or Whole Foods, don't even know who they are. Which of course means they recognize you and inevitably walk up to say hello. People should all wear name tags. I hope he wins the whole enchilada. The clips I've seen of him surfing over the years have always impressed me. I'm going to hazard a guess that he's not in the running though, huh? Just out of curiosity, how does one win the World Tour? Steel cage surf death match? Whomever rides the most gnar-gnar wave in the world? Or is it something as pedantic as the aggregated total of points accumulated through all the events in a season? Seems like the other ways would be better if that (as I suspect) is the case. Really donít know. I like steel cage death matches.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Maybe JJ???
    I don't think he counts... Hawaii and the US are separate entities to the ASP.

http://www.aspworldtour.com/rankings...-tour-ranking/

Not a lot of representation from the US here. I think it's gonna be all about JJ and Medina in a few years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by brek View Post
    I don't think he counts... Hawaii and the US are separate entities to the ASP.

http://www.aspworldtour.com/rankings...-tour-ranking/

Not a lot of representation from the US here. I think it's gonna be all about JJ and Medina in a few years anyway.
    Maybe, but Hawaii is part of the United States of America, so until that changes, he's a damn Amurican!