LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wanted: firewire spitfire/patatonator, or lost v2 rocket

If anyone has any of these boards, I am interested. I am 5'11 160 lbs and unsure of the size I need for any of these boards. I am a beginner also surfing at OC MD mostly. <br /><br />Lost V2 Rocket<br />Firewire Spitfire<br />Firewire Patato-nator

I have a 5'10 Lost Rocket that is "like new". I'm not sure I want to sell it but if you make me a decent offer I'd consider

Im also in OCMD and can possibly show it Wednesday

Hey I make and fix surfboards....Firewire are some of the worst boards out there as far as board construction. They fall apart over time, get delamed easily, have no stringer, and have too much flexv(which is bad, you want a stiff board because it holds energy instead of absorbing it). They are marketed as a good board and a lot of surf shops carry them because Firewire has enough money to just give them to shops on consignment, but really are bad boards....looks at what most of the pros are riding....DONT GET A FIREWIRE

If you are just starting I wouldnt go high performance yet

what shortboard would you recommend for a beginner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ericriley View Post
    what shortboard would you recommend for a beginner?
    What are you riding now?

Quote Originally Posted by djg8374 View Post
    Hey I make and fix surfboards....Firewire are some of the worst boards out there as far as board construction. They fall apart over time, get delamed easily, have no stringer, and have too much flexv(which is bad, you want a stiff board because it holds energy instead of absorbing it). They are marketed as a good board and a lot of surf shops carry them because Firewire has enough money to just give them to shops on consignment, but really are bad boards....looks at what most of the pros are riding....DONT GET A FIREWIRE
    you have no idea what you're talking about. u make boards whats your label??.. have u ever ridden one? they are tough as nails last forever compared to a standard poly.. they are stiffer then poly... they do hold energy through the balsa rails that release through a turn (fst version) i've been riding them for ten years now and recently sold a 8 year old alternator that still looked new besides the natural yellowing of a board its age.. maybe a couple minimal dents on the deck... my quiver now consists of a hellrazor, potatonator, and a sweet potato.. all sik boards.. went custom poly for a bit but felt dead compared to my firewires. there's also a reason why many many shapers like ...lost, tomo, and lsd are jumping in on firewire because they believe in the tech. .firewires and coil are super techy boards that are worth the coin

as for a recommendation for a firewire as a beginner.. i'd get a big oversized dominator or an Addvance to get your wave count up and then size down

what size would you recommend for a dominator or an addvance? im 5'11' 160

Swell5.....If firewire is such a good board I ask again....why are the pros not riding them????? AND HOW IS IT YOU HAVE BEEN RIDING FIREWIRE SURFBOARDS FOR 10 YEARS? THEY STARTED IN 2005-2006! good job bud. and to further add they are way over priced.

If you are thinking about a firewire be prepared to spend a pretty penny...not all of us are rich...and if you are prepared to spend 6-800 dollars...why not go with a channel islands as they are also way over priced..

There is a reason why there is a stringer in a middle of a board. Bc it is proven most strength and durability whether it is epoxy or poly.

I'd recommend you work with a local shaper who understands the conditions and areas you are surfing. They will be able to guide you to a good shape and float for your size. If it doesn't work out for you, you can go back to the same shaper and get a convo going on which will improve both your understanding of your needs and result in a board customized just right for you!

Here is a prime example of why they suck::::>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsjsYcZqykA

Firewire PopOut.jpg

Images
    Haha, that pic speaks volumes...