LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by marknel83 View Post
    I surfed today in the fog alone. I am a hero.
    Surfed in some serious fog on Saturday, literally like 5-10ft of visibility, couldn't see the water from the shore, was completely covered, it was like field of dreams, but in the ocean, pretty surreal, i've been in the fog before, but that was pretty trippy, you would think nobody was in the water from the looks of it but once I paddled out I stumbled across a small crowd of 10 or so people, all doing their best to see the waves coming at them and managing to drop in on some fun 4-5 footers, had a fun session, was more challenging but glad I paddled out instead of wait for the fog to lift, because it never did, not till the sun went back down.

Trouble getting motivated to surf? What? What? Wow. I simply cannot relate at all.

I'm 41, with a drafty old work-starved house and two rugrats, in the middle of a huge project at my falling-apart company, the water's cold, the air is colder, the beach is covered with crap from Sandy, the water's filthy from the sewage plants still not running right, my balls hurt from the vasectomy I just had and I have a splint on the finger I broke last weekend and I won't be able to sleep tonight because I'm so stoked for waist to chest waves tomorrow. Not despite all the stuff I just mentioned - BECAUSE of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Surfed in some serious fog on Saturday, literally like 5-10ft of visibility, couldn't see the water from the shore, was completely covered, it was like field of dreams, but in the ocean, pretty surreal, i've been in the fog before, but that was pretty trippy, you would think nobody was in the water from the looks of it but once I paddled out I stumbled across a small crowd of 10 or so people, all doing their best to see the waves coming at them and managing to drop in on some fun 4-5 footers, had a fun session, was more challenging but glad I paddled out instead of wait for the fog to lift, because it never did, not till the sun went back down.
    Where were you at? I surfed here in Jax Beach Saturday morning. I love foggy sessions because its always glassy. Surfed for almost 3 hours with the fog still as thick when I got out. I was next to a pier and kept getting disoriented. My mind was playing tricks on me thinking that the pier was right in front of me

My motivation: As you keep surfing, surfing will keep you.
    "There is a wisdom in the wave, highborn and beautiful for those who would but paddle out."
    "Surfers are special people--we should think of ourselves as professionals in the art of living."
    Dr. Dorian Paskowitz, from his book: Surfing and Health

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    Where were you at? I surfed here in Jax Beach Saturday morning. I love foggy sessions because its always glassy. Surfed for almost 3 hours with the fog still as thick when I got out. I was next to a pier and kept getting disoriented. My mind was playing tricks on me thinking that the pier was right in front of me
    I know what ya mean, mind definitely will play tricks on you when the fog is that thick, waves sneak up on you too, which makes things interesting. I was actually at Ponce on Saturday and on the other side of the Inlet at NSB for Sunday. Waves were fun both days, fog wasn't an issue on Sunday though.

the memories of my dead friends keep me motivated to do as much cool sh*t as possible, and to savor every moment, because you never know when your ticket gets punched.

Reading the swellinfo forum gets me fired up to go out and surf. The Net.

Images
    The negativity towards Body boarding.

Images
    Motivation in SD where this thread began was easy. Wake up surf. Sleep, repeat.

Now that I am in the SE, motivation is equally as easy, when there is surf anyway. I have been making the best of each waist high slop day that I can muster and taking advantage of the few chest-head high days each month. Not much to it. Most days when I am itching to surf, there are no waves, but even when the forecast calls for high winds and crap surf, I am usually pleasantly surprised.

As long as there are waves, no motivation is required....

If the intention of this thread was out west where I believe it was, there is a whole different ball game in play. I had friends of all skill levels that I would surf with from Pros to weekend warriors. Hardest thing to find is a few guys that were ready to go no matter what conditions, every day, all year... Most pros that I know have excuses as to why its "just not good enough" and then the weekend warriors have harder times deciding if there are going to go golfing and not surf... Or start raging at 10am on a Sunday for football.... Motivation is harder to come by when you have waves to choose from every day... There are 10 million other things in life that can get in the way of that.... But when waves are few and far between, if you feel like you need motivation, you probably in fact just need a new hobby....

All six pages and only one other person suggested it..... Find a surf buddy and motivate each other. It really is the only sure way to overcome an extreme lack of energy.