LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    Not a shot at you. I agree w. ur post tho
    Gotcha, my bad for suggestion so then. I thought it was my SUP that you were getting at there, which isn't actually my "go-to" board (althought i love it), I still paddle prone most days, so what board model is your "go-to", and why is it ironic? Now that i'm curious...

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Gotcha, my bad for suggestion so then. I thought it was my SUP that you were getting at there, which isn't actually my "go-to" board (althought i love it), I still paddle prone most days, so what board model is your "go-to", and why is it ironic? Now that i'm curious...
    Judging by the clever play on words, I'm guessing a ...Lost Motivator

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Judging by the clever play on words, I'm guessing a ...Lost Motivator
    AAAH, see I would have never of guessed that, but that makes total sense. You must own one too, or you're just really "clever" as well.

Images
    what motivates me is the sheer love for it. in VB, waiting for waves (i mean any bump, not just good ones) is 3/4 of the battle especially when you are a broke college kid with a beater of a car who can't really travel farther than the OBX. i also check my spot everyday (i live at the beach so i just bike). However, going to class/work prevent me from going but i think that also keeps me motivated because i know that dawn patrol and maybe a before dark session is the reward. Thank god i am a morning person. Gaff, i can understand where you are coming from because you guys have something rideable (EC standards here again) almost all year and you have the option to pick and choose spots that work well. over here, it can get unrideable for a month at a time. **** that summer two years ago, it was terrrrrrrrrible

Quote Originally Posted by 757surfer View Post
    . . . Gaff, i can understand where you are coming from because you guys have something rideable (EC standards here again) almost all year and you have the option to pick and choose spots that work well. over here, it can get unrideable for a month at a time. **** that summer two years ago, it was terrrrrrrrrible
    Don't let the hype fool you, Cali gets plenty of chop, slop and garbage too. The CI Biscuit, Fred Rubble, Neckbeard, Dumpster Diver, the ...Lost Rocket & Motivator. Grovelers for small waves, right? Weren't these all made by SoCal shapers for famous SoCal riders (I don't really know)? There's a reason why I have two longboards. That being said, I moved away from the Gulf so that I could surf more than fish. What I don't get is how many surfers there are out here who won't paddle out unless conditions meet whatever qualifies as "perfect" for them. The fact that I went to these two parties, with all these guys who are "surfers" and hardly anyone had been out. I don't get it. It's not like 6-10' perfect waves roll through every other day. This ain't the North Shore. Me, I'll paddle out in whatever. If it had been the magic 7 miles, there would have been surfers 3 deep, every 2 feet on every peak; instead, the line-ups on Saturday looked like an average Wednesday at 10AM. As the Swell dropped more people came out, instead of the other way around. Funny that.

Anyway, I'm like all of you, I do it 'cause I love it. 'Cause there's nothing else like it. Because for 10 seconds, I'm standing on top of the world. And, I'll keep doing it until I can't.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    So, what keeps you motivated to paddle out?
    Aside from the obvious surf obsession....thats not digging very deep anyway...
    I think a lot of little things are where the magic and motivation comes from...

Sitting with a friend or two in the lineup watching them get a solid wave, and then hearing them yell at you when a bomb comes your way.

My work overlooks the Delaware Bay it sometimes the bay is just silvery sheet glass and i picture the ocean (15 minutes away) being waist high and as glassy as the bay (it rarely is) and just cant stand it. That is some serious motivation, even though theres usually more texture on the ocean.

Tonight...just finished surfing until it was too dark to see much of anything...small, clean lines and warm out even after dark. Just two of us out for the last hour of light...perfect little rights sliding on the mini simmons...with 4 mm. of rubber on it might as well have been July. I like the way surfing can kind of transport you to another time and place under certain conditions and it felt like a summer evening, except there there were two of us out instead of 35!

The inconsistency of the east coast is a good motivator...I dont care what time of year it is, your next decent surf session could be three weeks away. It happens and knowing it happens makes scoring fun waves a precious thing.
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM.

The older you get the harder it is to stay motivated, at least if you were a surfer for the wrong reasons. I would say at least 50 percent of people who surfed in their teens drop out in their twenties. Of the 50% left 25 percent drop out by age 35. Of the final 25%, 20 percent of those give up winter surfing and become fair weather summer surfers by their mid 40's. The real hardcore are the 5 percent that stick it out into later years winter and all. For me I'm 47 and surf because its what I always did and I can't image not doing it. I rarely miss a day although last week was probably the closest I have ever come to lacking motivation. Cold, north angle swell, forced to surf backside and knowone to surf with pushed me too far, lol.
    Last edited by Zippy; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Images
    Knowing there are better waves coming, wanting to get better every session. Also its just good exercise and i hate the gym and being indoors.

Your not ALWAYS ready to charge, anything I don't care what it is. Down time should be enjoyed.Up here when conditions are right I am always ready to surf.I do so much else in between including household stuff that motivation to surf is never a problem. So zaGaffer no offense but San Diego has so much surf all the time but nothing else. Enjoy when you blow off going unless your training to compete in some contest. All I did Living in the Valley is skimboard, go to the gym, and roll down to TJ for some fun. Southern California is boring. The beach is the only redeeming quality.

Tomorrow I snowboard with no lift lines then surf when that pops up later this week I hope. I can still golf if I want as well with no tee time wait. 3 days of 50 degrees here. Im out in my yard with no nosey peeping tom neighbors either.In Vacationland motivation is easy.

Images
    Great question, but to be honest im not really sure. I'd say something deep occurs while im surfing, probably unannounced to me. theres all the obvious reasons i suppose... waves, adrenaline, the whole 'spiritual" aspect, or just socialization with peers who you can connect with. But i think im going to have to nab some wisdom from AI here and just say "I surf because I'm always a better person when i come in".