LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz & I'm fine.

Needing motivation to go surfing is an oxymoron. It is actually just the opposite of "motivation." What pulls people to the surf varies.

Quote Originally Posted by rodndtube View Post
    Needing motivation to go surfing is an oxymoron. It is actually just the opposite of "motivation." What pulls people to the surf varies.

mo·ti·vate transitive verb 'mo-t?-?vat\
    mo·ti·vat·ed mo·ti·vat·ing
    Definition of MOTIVATE
    : to provide with a motive : impel <questions that excite and motivate youth>

im·pelledim·pel·ling
    Definition of IMPEL
    1: to urge or drive forward or on by or as if by the exertion of strong moral pressure : force <felt impelled to correct the misconception>
    2: to impart motion to : propel

ox·y·mo·ron noun \?äk-se-'mo?r-?än\
    plural ox·y·mo·ra \-'mo?r-?\
    Definition of OXYMORON
    : a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

Okay, what impels you to surf? For me it's sometimes getting away from all the semantic bullsh!1 that people quibble over. There are only a couple of things in this world that define, "being in the moment" for me as well as surfing.

How can being motivated to surf be contradictory? I think Motivated & Surfing go together like eas N karats. I dreamed about surfing all night long and when I woke up, I was motivated to get my butt in the watah.

The waves were quite tasty, almost needed a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

mo·ti·vate transitive verb 'mo-t?-?vat\
    mo·ti·vat·ed mo·ti·vat·ing
    Definition of MOTIVATE
    : to provide with a motive : impel <questions that excite and motivate youth>

im·pelledim·pel·ling
    Definition of IMPEL
    1: to urge or drive forward or on by or as if by the exertion of strong moral pressure : force <felt impelled to correct the misconception>
    2: to impart motion to : propel

ox·y·mo·ron noun \?äk-se-'mo?r-?än\
    plural ox·y·mo·ra \-'mo?r-?\
    Definition of OXYMORON
    : a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

Okay, what impels you to surf? For me it's sometimes getting away from all the semantic bullsh!1 that people quibble over. There are only a couple of things in this world that define, "being in the moment" for me as well as surfing.

How can being motivated to surf be contradictory? I think Motivated & Surfing go together like eas N karats. I dreamed about surfing all night long and when I woke up, I was motivated to get my butt in the watah.

The waves were quite tasty, almost needed a leash.
    In spades!

Surfing is something where the forces pull you. Not something you need to become motivated to do. The pull can and will vary by person, the forces that pull you to go surfing. Some people need to get "motivated" to go surfing... well, if that is the case than maybe they should be doing something else, something that does not require motivation. Impel (motivate) is all about being pushed to do something.

Apparently I motivated you to seek an on-line dictionary... but what will it take to get you back in the water again, to impel you to go? <chuckle>

Images
    surfing keeps me motivated.

Images
    I go because I love to surf....... 1' or 10' I don't care.........You never know when your last session will be so you gotta go and make it count no matter what the conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz & I'm fine.
    i can agree with this 100%
    that being said, barrels and bowls are the motivation

I smoke two joints in the morning.

Images
    I surfed today in the fog alone. I am a hero.

After work, before work, day off; I don’t care. Computers blowin up, bosses say get it done now. Put in another 80 hour week. Woman yelling in my ear. Kids pulling out my hair. I see another grey one. Car broke. Bills due. Friends disappear. Retirement, HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Right after I pop up on that first good wave, all the bullsh!1 is gone. Nothing Else Matters.