LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reef surfing

I think if you grow up surfing reef breaks, they don't worry you as much. I only surfed beachbreaks and rock reefs, which I agree don't intimidate as much. How much do you guys spend scoping out new spots before paddling out? A while back I paddled out at Avellanas a little to the South of everyone to stay away from the main crew until they warmed up to me - it was firing and I was too pumped to waste time on the beach. I surfed on a peak there for about an hour before moving over to one of the main peaks. The next day I came back at low tide, and right under where I was surfing were hideous lava spikes. Some must have been within a foot or less of the surface. Since then, I'm a bit paranoid about researching the bottom and talking to the locals before surfing reef.

My personal opinion is I rather surf huge ass waves with more space to the bottom so even wipeouts are just about the wave power instead of small waves on a shallow reef.
    Argh! That's the way it works right? Surfed plenty of shallow reefs that are actually safer at DOH because you have more water moving around...at waist high not so much...way more scars from the small days than the mackers...Its just that getting past the DOH part when you already associate a certain reef with pain...once you get past that...gravy....just be smart but surf how you surf...if your too busy worrying about the bottom you will pull back on bombs and dork out on a few waves too...remember... safest place is in the barrel

first time i surfed reef i panic. i am also an east side surfer. talk to the locals were ever u go. and watch were they go in and were they come out. but dont panic haha that what almost got me killed. and pray to god cause he'll save ur ass as he did mine.

Images
    here we go with the religious crap. nobody else than you or people around you will save your ass. NEVER panic for nothing. when you learn to surf you not only train your body, you also have to train your mind for crazy situations like loosing your board or being under for longer than you want. if you freak out, you have a real problem. as long you stay calm and think straight, you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    Argh! That's the way it works right? Surfed plenty of shallow reefs that are actually safer at DOH because you have more water moving around...at waist high not so much...way more scars from the small days than the mackers...Its just that getting past the DOH part when you already associate a certain reef with pain...once you get past that...gravy....just be smart but surf how you surf...if your too busy worrying about the bottom you will pull back on bombs and dork out on a few waves too...remember... safest place is in the barrel
    Agreed. I have surfed many reef breaks multiple times in PR and have hit coral only on the small days. Just because its bigger, however, doesn't mean you're not gonna

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soflo View Post
    Hey Doug do you know alex morin? He's from ocean city
    No, I just surfed Ocean City for the first time like 10 days ago and scored some meaty lefts.
    Living in Maui ay? I'm jealous.
    Last edited by Doug; Dec 4, 2012 at 08:17 PM.

Images
    Just don't put your feet down like you do with a sand bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    Just don't put your feet down like you do with a sand bottom.
    This is good advice. Also, pull out of the wave, don't ride it until it eats you. Of course, I never follow my own advice and that's why I'm good at fixing dings.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Images
    i surfed a reef in Hawaii. No one was out . . . . waves were perfect. I paddle out duck dive under three waves. ride a right. Then a left and all of the sudden i was in no more than foot of water and broke three fins and got several cuts walking back in. If your not sure whats out there dont go out alone

I learned surfing for a long time on a pretty heavy spot, reefs are almost always worth the risk. Just take a minute to understand the risk. Each spot is different. But please remember that keep yourself are safe!