LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reef surfing

Like ocsurf32 said... if the locals arent out and it looks good its probly gnarly cuz looks can be decieving... surfed what looked to be an empty mellow a frame in hawaii and after a few waves i got a reef massage on near dry reef

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    I learned surfing for a long time on a pretty heavy spot, reefs are almost always worth the risk. Just take a minute to understand the risk. Each spot is different. But please remember that keep yourself are safe!
    Amanda, you conniving little minx. Very clever to steal bits and pieces from other posters. That "I learned surfing..on a pretty heavy spot" gave it away. I have a feeling you're no where near the ocean, let alone the bowls element303 is serving.

Show me your backside hack.

I <3 Blackhat SEO.

Images
    Depends on where you are trying to surf... There are reefs all over San Diego for instance... Most spots on Sunset Cliffs etc are deeper water rock reefs and on most days that are above head high, you are in a considerable water depth which make hitting the reefs almost impossible. Then for instance, you go up the road 10 miles to the La Jolla reefs (See my avatar)... That is a spot that goes from deep water and falls over a slab reefs to get that barrel. A mess up at that spot will give you a head first trip into a shallow reef.... So, it depends on if you are really trying to get deep, get a barrel, but if you are just messing around out on the face, doing turns, there isnt much risk at all....

With that being said, the biggest reef injury I have taken was down in Baja 7 years ago or so on a 2ft+ day... Super small point break, I crouched down to try and duck into a backside mini-barrel, held the rail and went up and over the face... I put my hands down, but the force from the little chest high wave overpower my arms and I did a forehead plant right on the reef.... So, even on the smallest of days, a sharp coral reef will get the best of you....

Sh**, I cut the sh** out of my hands and feet on a knee high day in Hawaii just getting off my board and walking on the reefs. put my hand down once and came up looking like I was playing with razor blades.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    let alone the bowls element303 is serving.
    what do you mean with that??

nevermind, i think i got it. its early :-P
    Last edited by element303; Dec 13, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by element303 View Post
    what do you mean with that??

nevermind, i think i got it. its early :-P
    There's some Chinese guy or maybe girl (I doubt it) doing Search Engine Optimization (I <3 Blackhat SEO) on the forum. They had two posts. The first one was linking out to an Iphone case site and then the one on this thread. As soon as I read the one on this thread, it was obvious that the entire post had been hacked together from other postings, the two that stood out the most were your's and Lee's. You're in the Carribean, right? Need to get out there, went to PR as a kid a couple of times. I hear there's a lot of real hollow surf, which is why I said:

"Serving up bowls" = getting tubed

: )

Blackhat SEO is why you see users posting just straight nonsense (unless it's me and I'm drunk again) and getting banned after 2 posts.

Images
    Interesting. Seems like he have a good script running though :-P

Yeah PR is a surfer paradise. Hundreds of spots left, right, straight, big, small, insane, hollow, fat, sandy, reef, rocks - we got it all - I could not live without the ocean anymore. If you ever come out here, let me know and I take you to some spots. I also made PR's biggest website www.paradisepuertorico.com. Take a look to see some things to do.

I just decided to surf one of the north premier spots again yesterday (shallow reef) with a really mean ass trap (also called the trap) where currents and waves push you right into the reef with a carpet of sea urchins between the break and a pool at the beach and the last 2 times I surfed there I was getting straight in it. FAK. First time it was higher tide and I decided I go straight through on a wave lying on the board, trying to slide over it without touching but I lost 2 fins and opened the bottom of the board. Yesterday however it was so low that I already opened my hands and feet on the reef trying to get out there and when I got trapped again after taking a wave and had to abort because a sponger dropped me, I couldnt get out of the current once again and had to use my board as a shield because the reef came out of the water about a feet high. This time I was able to walk over it with only 10 sea uchin spines in both feet. Could have been worse though :-P

Images
    Same, I've never surfed a real reef, but I like Matunuck and Ruggles in RI.