LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Report history??

Hey i was wondering if there is anyway we could see past reports and wave heights from the summer and previous months????

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thank you

Images
    Have you checked out sites like Magic Seaweed? They have an excellent history option which I have used often and found it to be a great resource for determining when to go where.

Magic seaweed is an interesting read :

From today:

On average, Indian River Inlet has more swell than ocean city maryland every month of the year...

The most consistent month for swell at IRI is september - about three times more consistent than December...

This week, IRI is forecast to have 6 feet of swell tuesday, 7 feet wednesday, 4 feet thursday and 7 feet friday.

Images

Indian River history

There is something wrong with the model for IRI on MS. It always calls for waves much bigger then OC and is almost never correct. Many days it will predict 6'+ for IRI and only 2' in OC, most times OC is always bigger. IRI is good when the conditions are right, but generally is not worth the trip up. I noticed this over a year ago and have learned to ignor it the MS model. I am certain the historical data is wrong as well, you know the old saying with computers GIGO "garbage in = garbage out".

Images

Question

Do you guys find Magic Seaweed useful for things outside of Swellinfo?

If so, please explain, so I can tell you why you are wrong for thinking so

I dont personally see any reason to look at the MagicSeaweed data. What they do is regurgitate the wavewatch III model data and serve up the average wave height for select grids that they associate with surf spots. Same deal for buoyweather - Kind of cool if Swellinfo wasn't around to give you better data.

Swellinfo runs the wave model, sorts out the different swells (not just average wave heights) of all the combined swells at the forecast location, and then translates into surf heights. Best data to look at is Swellinfo Swell Plots.

If you do want the average wave heights, you can look in the Swellinfo hourly section. I will likely make some sort of virtual buoy data interface in the future, not because it will make for better surf forecasts, but because people like to look at it (more useful for mariners).
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Mar 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

i personally hate magicseaweed with a passion its too much on one site

Swellinfo is concise and more helpful.... which is why i don't use MagicSeaweed
    It sucks =D

Images
    Personally, I like the historical data on MS. I also prefer the hourly outlook format and the star system of rating waves. I use Swellinfo & MS as my two primary sites for forcasting. I use Surfline and other sites on occasion for thier different types of info. as well. Many times the various models don't always see things the same and I find it interesting to compare them. FYI, Swellinfo does a great job predicting and I love the many more detail locations found here.

Images
    i dont think theres been a single day that magic sea weed has gotten a forecast right it sucks and i hate everything about that website. swellinfo for life

^^^^^^^^
    Exactly!!

Images

we all have our ups and downs

i use swellinfo like a priest with his bible. MS always overpredicts wave heights. i do use it for the 7-day tides table and occassionally for the spectral outlook as well. the star system is good, but the data on MS isn;t accurate enough to rely on it.

i love how swellinfo uses swell direction, period, winds, and everything else to specify a forecast for a specific spot, not a generalized grid like u were talking about....keep it up!!!