LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Coil Megamind

please explain whats great about coils and so new. i rode one before. felt good and all, but they're just an EPS core composite sandwich. so is a surftech though. seems the 'magic' people rave about is in the shape not the construction. and the shapes are nothing new or special. pretty ho-hum. i think people who are used to conventional PU/PE are suprised by the extra float EPS provides. it does feel nice to have a smaller board sit a little higher in the water in gutless conditions, but any EPS board will do that. i will admit they do look cool, and thats what sells, but design wise it's more of the same.

let the dog pile begin
    Last edited by OceanO; Sep 10, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Yeah I have never seen one of these but seems a bit pricey. Look pretty damn cool though. Is there something too them over a normal board? As for concave I have a fish that I rode before it was totally cured and there are two concaves where my thighs pushed down in the tail area. They dip in on each side of the stringer and make a perfect pocket for my back foot to sit it!

They're not at all similar to a surftech. They have an EPS core, but that's about as far as the similarities go. The construction is completely different, and feels completely different.

I think they float like EPS, flex closer to PU, They are strong, and take abuse better then either. Price is only marginally more than an off the rack name brand PU, and I think you get a better product. They also don't delaminate in a year like most name brand off the rack PU boards do under heavy feet.....A real plus for us bigger guys. I'll gladly pay $50-100 more for a board that lasts 3-4 times as long.

I have two different shape coils, and they both require a fair amount of rider input to be ridden well. I don't think any of their shapes are "stand up and cruise" kind of boards, so they probably aren't for everyone, but they do go fast as long as you don't mind doing a little work for that speed, and the small wave models have more of a nod towards performance surfing. Both of mine are shaped by Mike Daniel, and he's a top notch shaper.

Really fun boards in my opinion, but not for everyone. Some people don't click with them

Quote Originally Posted by OceanO View Post
    please explain whats great about coils and so new. i rode one before. felt good and all, but they're just an EPS core composite sandwich. so is a surftech though. seems the 'magic' people rave about is in the shape not the construction. and the shapes are nothing new or special. pretty ho-hum. i think people who are used to conventional PU/PE are suprised by the extra float EPS provides. it does feel nice to have a smaller board sit a little higher in the water in gutless conditions, but any EPS board will do that. i will admit they do look cool, and thats what sells, but design wise it's more of the same.

let the dog pile begin

C'mon man, for coming from a family of prolific shapers you sure seem pretty ignorant to the differences here. Do you really think Surftech is using the same quality and density of EPS that Coil is? Did you all of a sudden forget the science behind lamination technology and one's ability, given proper knowledge and experience, to try new things with said lamination tech?

Put it this way.... Hydroflex: Coil was pioneering this type of "3D" lamination over 5 years ago, before they came out with their "Grid" tech. But hey, now that Burton Islands and Mayhem are using it, it's all of a sudden "brand new tech."

One thing is for sure though, they surely aren't for everyone. I love mines!

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    C'mon man, for coming from a family of prolific shapers you sure seem pretty ignorant to the differences here. Do you really think Surftech is using the same quality and density of EPS that Coil is? Did you all of a sudden forget the science behind lamination technology and one's ability, given proper knowledge and experience, to try new things with said lamination tech?

Put it this way.... Hydroflex: Coil was pioneering this type of "3D" lamination over 5 years ago, before they came out with their "Grid" tech. But hey, now that Burton Islands and Mayhem are using it, it's all of a sudden "brand new tech."

One thing is for sure though, they surely aren't for everyone. I love mines!
    who said prolific? why you gotta stoop to cheap shots when im politely asking about their 'proprietary tech'. does the fact that i don't drool over them bother you? i really have no decisive opinion about Coils. lots of shops do compsands now. if you actually know something useful, which doesn't sound like you do, then please share.

3D lamination (rooted lams) is nothing new. people were doing it in the 80's. just not on a production level. the Surftech Tl2 and Firewires are basically the same as a Coil from what i've heard and can tell. as far as EPS quality? you'd have to cut one open to tell, but i seriously doubt either use superfused EPS. probably run of the mill 1LB, 1.5LB or 2LB (how the density is measured) with big ole' billets.

Erock, in a non-callus way. please tell me what you know about Coils, EPS, Surftech and compsand board construction in general. a little more then the 'i gotta hype em' and bash anyone who questions them because i bought one and my ego needs to feel good about my big purchase'
    Last edited by OceanO; Sep 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Images
    I'm not going to speak to the tech, cause I cant with as much knowledge as others. But I will speak to why I switched to them (currently have 4, not bragging, just saying). After Firewire came out, I decided I wasnt doing PU anymore (longevity, durability, performance). Had a couple Firewires, liked em, but one used one I demoed felt really stiff and just wouldnt go. Once the shop I worked at got Coils in 3 years ago, I was intrigued and got one. Flex is similar to PU. Of the 4, I've fixed one ding... ever, and that was because i let my kid sled on it and he flew into the street. The original one from 3 years ago is still bright white. The personal attention you get from Mike Daniels when designing/ shaping is top notch. Pretty confident I wont have to buy a new board in the next 3+ years (though odds are i probably will).
    Last edited by Exit98Surf; Sep 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM.

For me, I wanted to see what all the hype was about and I needed a new step-up, so I bought a Qualifier for cheap on Craigs. My last step up was a 6'9 Black Beauty, great board. Thinking about it, I need to score another. I rode that board until I ripped out the center fin (glassed on) and a big chunk of the last foot or so of foam off the bottom. I wanted something tougher and I'm into gadgetry and new tech; they're not cheap, but what decent board is these days and they're about the same price as comprable boards. I think that my Coils perform just as well as any of the other boards I own in all respects except for one, they're tough as nails. So far, I've had none of the drawbacks of a traditionally constructed board; fragility, yellowing, delamination without having to sacrifice performance. Win/win. They're not all I ride though, that would get boring.
    Last year, my wife was moving some boards and they both ate the entertainment center at the same time, in about the same spot. Here's the Coil:

And here's the poly board that I shaped and glassed using 6oz cloth on a Clark blank:

I actually agree with you on the shapes. Don't get me wrong, I think they're really good and that Mike Daniels is a great shaper; but really good shapes by really great shapers are all over my neighborhood.

in good waves, performance wise, nothing beats PU. the WCT/WQS guys would be over it if that were the case. in fact, a lot of guys are going (here and there) PU/Epoxy resin the last 5-10 years. better flex then PE and better shear strength, but slightly less compression strength with similar cloth. can use 2 layers of S-cloth on the deck and not have that stiff feeling you would get with PE.

in small waves, EPS does feel pretty good. you can ride em' a little smaller, pinch the rails and get the same float as a bigger board. they also have a very positive 'slingshot' feeling out of turns. so i understand the east coast appeal to anything EPS. i really like unsealed 2lbs EPS glassed light without fancy angel tears and pixie dust combos, but it's ugly looking.

im not knocking Coils at all. they are sick. i just wonder if its more a love for something different then a real appreciation for the 'tech' or even the shape.

if i had unlimited $ to walk in a shop and buy and non-PU board right now...id prob go for something like a Hess (if the shapes were better) or something along those lines over a Coil or a similar compsand. you guys ever ridden a timber perimeter frame/EPS core/veneer or cork deck? i see those things catching on if the prices can mellow out a little.
    Last edited by OceanO; Sep 10, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    For me, I wanted to see what all the hype was about and I needed a new step-up, so I bought a Qualifier for cheap on Craigs. My last step up was a 6'9 Black Beauty, great board. Thinking about it, I need to score another. I rode that board until I ripped out the center fin (glassed on) and a big chunk of the last foot or so of foam off the bottom. I wanted something tougher and I'm into gadgetry and new tech; they're not cheap, but what decent board is these days and they're about the same price as comprable boards. I think that my Coils perform just as well as any of the other boards I own in all respects except for one, they're tough as nails. So far, I've had none of the drawbacks of a traditionally constructed board; fragility, yellowing, delamination without having to sacrifice performance. Win/win. They're not all I ride though, that would get boring.
    Last year, my wife was moving some boards and they both ate the entertainment center at the same time, in about the same spot. Here's the Coil:

And here's the poly board that I shaped and glassed using 6oz cloth on a Clark blank:

I actually agree with you on the shapes. Don't get me wrong, I think they're really good and that Mike Daniels is a great shaper; but really good shapes by really great shapers are all over my neighborhood.
    if you ever order another PU blank board....go with 6oz S-glass and epoxy resin. different flex pattern and stronger then PE.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OceanO View Post
    who said prolific?
    It looks like you did.

Quote Originally Posted by AtanticO View Post
    just trying to give dude advice. half my family works in production shops and i take working vacations out
    there all the time. hand shaped somewhere around 500-600 boards and laminated prob more then 2000 in my life. i grew up in surfboard factories. i know what im talking about here a little more then some guy on board #2.