LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Coil Megamind

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zagaffer
    Last year, my wife was moving some boards and they both ate the entertainment center at the same time, in about the same spot. Here's the Coil
    And here's the poly board that I shaped and glassed using 6oz cloth on a Clark blank:
    Thats some great stuff Gaffer...the side by side comparison - not that your boards got damaged!. This is in no way a comment on Coils, never ridden one, but one reaction I have to those dings is.....not much practical difference although the Coil obviously has a much tougher exterior. Both need repaired and, both repairs involve the same process, and both will come out the same.
    Last edited by mitchell; Sep 10, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Zagafffer,

Have you figured out a fin set up that you prefer on the MM?

I'm not going to get into a debate with anybody who has never ridden one but I will share what I've come to learn from my own experience, which is limited compared to Erock, Gaff, and Pvoko, and Exit, who have owned and ridden several Coils by now.

I bought mine based on the feedback of tons of people who have ridden them for years. I was obsessed when I was trying to figure out what was so special about these Coils that I read every page of this thread, http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/coil-ride-reports. This is the official ride report thread, that is still going strong today, years after it's creation in 2008. See for yourself, I don't recall reading one negative comment on there, not one. These are not people who are paid to say good things about them, these are paying customers just like myself who have given honest feedback after riding their new Coil.

The one thing that everybody agrees on is how f'ing tough they are. You have to really do a number on it to do any damage, so that's a huge bonus, and the price is about the same or less than some of the top brands, and this is a custom hand shaped piece of fine craftsmanship, not some pop out like Firewires or some of the other hype trains out there. This is no gimmick, they really are that good. When I finally got to hold mine and take her for a spin, I realized immediately how awesome a board it was and the quality of the product is by far the best I've EVER seen.

Mike Daniel is a great shaper, I own one of his WRV boards from back before he left and went to work with the Brasington Bros at Coil and it's also a very nice board, however, it's fragile and gets dinged easily. The change he made leaving WRV and going to a relatively unknown company in Coil Industries was a huge chance he took and it paid off big time IMO. The technology that is being used is in fact proprietary and they don't share their "secrets" with anybody (maybe close friends). Kirk Brasington is the wizard behind the curtain, and Mike D. is the front man so to speak. While the shapes may seem ho-hum to the skeptic, It's the attention to detail that makes these stand out, and plus, why reinvent the wheel if you have something that works, and works to the highest of levels? Not to say they haven't come up with any new shapes along the way, because they have, the Megamind is a great example of that, and they have more shapes on the way.

MD listens to his customer and gives you exactly what you need for YOUR surfing ability and what type of waves you'll be riding. They have gone with shapes that are tried, tested and proven, like my Flashback Fish that is originally an 80's shape that Mike designed way back in the day, but with the 2013 technology, which makes it a completely different board.

The Megamind however is actually a shape that Kirk came up with one day while free-styling on some foam, or so the story goes, per MD. The 1st one was a home run and many people demo'd the board and had nothing but great things to say about it. It gives high performance a whole new meaning in small waves, "the ultimate groveler" some would say. Most also would tell you that this board performs way outside of what it's limits should be, like some are killing it in HH+ waves. I'm so sold on it and I've never ridden one. According to Gaff this is not a beginner board (which i'm not), so I hope to get my hands on one of them in the next year or so. If anybody picks up a used board from someone else this may affect how well you click with the board, as it was designed for someone else originally, tuned to their riding ability, their size, and the type of waves they are riding. I recommend anybody that wants to give them a TRUE test, get one custom made for you and you'll end up with a magic stick like so many that have come before you (and me).

What more can be said about them? The proof is in the pudding, do your research and only listen to people who have real experience with them. If you are a long time shaper you probably will have a hard time wrapping your head around them, I've ran into several and it just blows their mind when they get to see and hold my board. I get all sorts of comments, mostly positive, but usually the discussion ends when they can't figure out the "secret" to these boards. Until they let the cat out of the bag, it's going to be pure speculation, and lots of wrong accusations. Believe it or don't, but that's my take on Coils.
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Sep 10, 2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I'm not going to get into a debate with anybody who has never ridden one but I will share what I've come to learn from my own experience, which is limited compared to Erock, Gaff, and Pvoko, and Exit, who have owned and ridden several Coils by now.

I bought mine based on the feedback of tons of people who have ridden them for years. I was obsessed when I was trying to figure out what was so special about these Coils that I read every page of this thread, http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/coil-ride-reports. This is the official ride report thread, that is still going strong today, years after it's creation in 2008. See for yourself, I don't recall reading one negative comment on there, not one. These are not people who are paid to say good things about them, these are paying customers just like myself who have given honest feedback after riding their new Coil.

The one thing that everybody agrees on is how f'ing tough they are. You have to really do a number on it to do any damage, so that's a huge bonus, and the price is about the same or less than some of the top brands, and this is a custom hand shaped piece of fine craftsmanship, not some pop out like Firewires or some of the other hype trains out there. This is no gimmick, they really are that good. When I finally got to hold mine and take her for a spin, I realized immediately how awesome a board it was and the quality of the product is by far the best I've EVER seen.

Mike Daniel is a great shaper, I own one of his WRV boards from back before he left and went to work with the Brasington Bros at Coil and it's also a very nice board, however, it's fragile and gets dinged easily. The change he made leaving WRV and going to a relatively unknown company in Coil Industries was a huge chance he took and it paid off big time IMO. The technology that is being used is in fact proprietary and they don't share their "secrets" with anybody (maybe close friends). Kirk Brasington is the wizard behind the curtain, and Mike D. is the front man so to speak. While the shapes may seem ho-hum to the skeptic, It's the attention to detail that makes these stand out, and plus, why reinvent the wheel if you have something that works, and works to the highest of levels? Not to say they haven't come up with any new shapes along the way, because they have, the Megamind is a great example of that, and they have more shapes on the way.

MD listens to his customer and gives you exactly what you need for YOUR surfing ability and what type of waves you'll be riding. They have gone with shapes that are tried, tested and proven, like my Flashback Fish that is originally an 80's shape that Mike designed way back in the day, but with the 2013 technology, which makes it a completely different board.

The Megamind however is actually a shape that Kirk came up with one day while free-styling on some foam, or so the story goes, per MD. The 1st one was a home run and many people demo'd the board and had nothing but great things to say about it. It gives high performance a whole new meaning in small waves, "the ultimate groveler" some would say. Most also would tell you that this board performs way outside of what it's limits should be, like some are killing it in HH+ waves. I'm so sold on it and I've never ridden one. According to Gaff this is not a beginner board (which i'm not), so I hope to get my hands on one of them in the next year or so. If anybody picks up a used board from someone else this may affect how well you click with the board, as it was designed for someone else originally, tuned to their riding ability, their size, and the type of waves they are riding. I recommend anybody that wants to give them a TRUE test, get one custom made for you and you'll end up with a magic stick like so many that have come before you (and me).

What more can be said about them? The proof is in the pudding, do your research and only listen to people who have real experience with them. If you are a long time shaper you probably will have a hard time wrapping your head around them, I've ran into several and it just blows their mind when they get to see and hold my board. I get all sorts of comments, mostly positive, but usually the discussion ends when they can't figure out the "secret" to these boards. Until they let the cat out of the bag, it's going to pure speculation, and lots of wrong accusations. Believe it or don't, but that's my take on Coils.
    not hand shaped. stringerless EPS is way too time consuming to hand shape. but someone does have to finish it once it's cut. 5% maybe. although, finishing is the hardest part, it's not as critical with a compsand as a clear pu/pe. none the less they seem like good boards. but is longevity really that big of a deal? how long do you really want to ride the same board? for me at least, it's fun to change it up every so often.

as far as customs go, that's up for debate too. i feel like you can get used to a board. in regards to tuning a board for someone, just look at how many boards a pro will ride once and get rid of. out of say 10-15 boards, all are finely tuned just for them, but they may like/keep 2-3. i watched chris ward at salt creek go through a sh!t load of boards once. almost all the same. he'd go ride a few waves, come in and grab another. went through 10 boards like that and kept 1. the one he kept...a rack board. crazy. point is, if you find a used one with dimensions similar to what you'd order custom, don't expect a fully custom board is be so much greater. especially when the 'tech' is what sets the board apart more then the shape.

im in no way bashing customs though. please don't twist up my words. just don't sell the house on one. people don't understand how little the bigger board companies actually care about how your board works. they'd never get anything done if so. their in biz the make $. the guys who come in expecting special treatment usually get patronized behind their back once their out the door.
    Last edited by OceanO; Sep 10, 2013 at 04:32 PM.

talking about Coils with Coil fans is like the talking about electrolites and Brawndo. when is the Brawndo model Coil coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanO View Post
    talking about Coils with Coil fans is like the talking about electrolites and Brawndo. when is the Brawndo model Coil coming out?
    LOL
    I can talk to the waves, they tell me that they need Coil tech.

I've never gotten a board with SCloth, but I keep thinking about passing on the hex and buying a roll every time I'm in Surfsupply. I'm also keepin my eyes peeled for a used Sunova Boss or Nitro, a Stretch cork board or (to my great shame) a FireWire techno grain or timber tek or whatever they call it.

Someday

Danny Hess's boards look pretty, but I'm with you, the shapes have never really grabbed me.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 10, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Hess

Quote Originally Posted by OrthoBrit View Post
    Zagafffer,

Nope, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Thats some great stuff Gaffer...the side by side comparison - not that your boards got damaged!. This is in no way a comment on Coils, never ridden one, but one reaction I have to those dings is.....not much practical difference although the Coil obviously has a much tougher exterior. Both need repaired and, both repairs involve the same process, and both will come out the same.
    They did, it was almost a year ago or so. Except the Coil ding was the size of a nickel and the other was about 2.5" x1".

i have a megamind and I love it. It's a year old. Bought a Lost Motivator for a groveler and heard about the Coils and ordered a MM. So my Lost became my 'shortboard'...until November when my new Coil widerboard arrives.
    Agree MM is a lot on rider input. For me it gets a little too squirrely above chest high...could be the fins, currently stretch quads which I like enough not to care about swapping them out. Besides, thats when I switch over to the Lost. Typing makes me tired. The MM makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by OrthoBrit View Post
    Zagafffer,

Came across this post on Swaylocks, might help, might not, but seems to work for this guy if you're running it as a quad.

Speaking of MM's, finally found my absolute best quad combo, RFC RTI & R4 pushed all the way back. Lots more control and still loose! Gotta love a dialed board