LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Coil Megamind

Thanks for the input from those who answered. I also saw on another forum someone preferred the Simon Anderson quads. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Today I tried out some MR-tfx fronts and M-5 rears. That was quite a bit of fin, but that said the ability to push off of them front side was a blast and they generated tons of speed and still remained pretty maneuverable. Definitely enjoyed this set up but am still going to be trying some others out. That said, what Mike mentioned concerning the board liking big fins to push against was certainly felt this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by OrthoBrit View Post
    Today I tried out some MR-tfx fronts and M-5 rears. That was quite a bit of fin, but that said the ability to push off of them front side was a blast and they generated tons of speed and still remained pretty maneuverable. Definitely enjoyed this set up but am still going to be trying some others out. That said, what Mike mentioned concerning the board liking big fins to push against was certainly felt this morning.
    Good info Ortho, thanks! What kind of tail did you get on yours?
    Last edited by Erock; Sep 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM.

Mine is a the vee, or slight swallow tail.

Have you tried running it with with just the MR's or with the MR's and the trailer?

I have to agree with zagaffer's post on the MM. I hate paddling it into waves but on no paddle take offs the thing kills it. I surf it with the 4 m-5s in really small stuff and as long as the wave has some throw or shape to it the board moves. It doesn't surf like a fish and I definitely don't get a fishy flat style of surfing from it. With that said I'm still working on fin configs so I can't say if running trailers would make it better or worse on the waves I tend to surf. One thing I have noticed is that you have to really surf hard on that back foot to push it around but I like that more than having the board slide out over and over if it were underfinned. Not really sure what to try for next fin set up. Was looking at a big quad set thinking it might be similar to how everyone surfs the controllers on the fw sweet potato.

Quote Originally Posted by oldenglish View Post
    I have to agree with zagaffer's post on the MM. I hate paddling it into waves but on no paddle take offs the thing kills it. I surf it with the 4 m-5s in really small stuff and as long as the wave has some throw or shape to it the board moves. It doesn't surf like a fish and I definitely don't get a fishy flat style of surfing from it. With that said I'm still working on fin configs so I can't say if running trailers would make it better or worse on the waves I tend to surf. One thing I have noticed is that you have to really surf hard on that back foot to push it around but I like that more than having the board slide out over and over if it were underfinned. Not really sure what to try for next fin set up. Was looking at a big quad set thinking it might be similar to how everyone surfs the controllers on the fw sweet potato.
    I have a feeling that a set of Stretch Controllers, Nexus H-2/H-3s or Von Sol Stilettos would really set this thing off.

Real quick, not meaning to revive a dead thread but...here goes anyway.

Stilletos did not preform well on the Megamind, very tracky.

I did use some "Indo Fin Controllers" and they were excellent for my style of surfing. Tons of control, could push off of them for good speed and I felt I was able to get in the places on the wave I needed to. Now, they didnt slide out at all, and for some guys that might be too tight but for me it was a welcomed change. I dropped into an overhead set today and had no problem making the drop and bottom turn (would have preferred to be on a different board if I had a choice, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the megamind performed in bigger set waves.). Was also able to complete a frontside cut back with no loss of speed with the fin set up, as well as hit the lip backside a few times and then be sent racing back down the line.

Another combo that worked well for me, that is a looser but still had plenty of hold was PC7 with PG3 and G8 with PG3s.

And above all, my wave count has been very high on this board and I am having a blast on it. I really couldnt be happier with it, even before finding the fin choice I liked best. Cheers.

Real quick, not meaning to revive a dead thread but...here goes anyway.

Stilletos did not preform well on the Megamind, very tracky.

I did use some "Indo Fin Controllers" and they were excellent for my style of surfing. Tons of control, could push off of them for good speed and I felt I was able to get in the places on the wave I needed to. Now, they didnt slide out at all, and for some guys that might be too tight but for me it was a welcomed change. I dropped into an overhead set today and had no problem making the drop and bottom turn (would have preferred to be on a different board if I had a choice, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well the megamind performed in bigger set waves.). Was also able to complete a frontside cut back with no loss of speed with the fin set up, as well as hit the lip backside a few times and then be sent racing back down the line.

Another combo that worked well for me, that is a looser but still had plenty of hold was PC7 with PG3 and G8 with PG3s.

And above all, my wave count has been very high on this board and I am having a blast on it. I really couldnt be happier with it, even before finding the fin choice I liked best. Cheers.
    What part of SoCal are you OrthoBrit? I'm out of the water today on account of yesterday being the first rainfall in the last 6 months or so. I like to give it a day or two after the first rain, of course that depends on how good the waves look.

The last fin combo that I tried on that board that I really liked were a set of k-grip carbon lites up front with a set of Jack Jenson TFAD Q-rears. Next time I have it out, I'm going to try something bigger up front. Haven't surfed it in almost two weeks though.

North County SD. Yeah, I probably have Hep now, but the waves were fun. Tomorrow looks even more promising. To be honest should have been on the m80 today, but after about watching for 10 minutes it looked fairly small, but it picked up quite a bit for about an hour.