LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Best winter suits.

I recently purchased an o'neill mutant 5/4, and I was wondering anyones opinion on this suit.

has a detachable hood right? if so, i would pass. probably a good 'catch all' suit if you are on a tight budget but the hood is a weak point. if you have the $$ get a dedicated winter suit.

I think those are pretty decent, but for RI winters and that thick of a suit I would go with 7mm gloves and boots. I have an excel 654 I have worn about 2 weeks ago and was obviously really warm, but the stretch and quality of the suit seems really nice. Its an infiniti. I hav experience with hyperflex too, 654, and have surfed a couple times in february with it and was nice and warm (this suit is for sale, size lt, $125).

Images
    Okay thanks. By the way I'm 12. Yes, it has glued and blind stich seams, with a zip hood.

Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    Okay thanks. By the way I'm 12. Yes, it has glued and blind stich seams, with a zip hood.
    I got the same suit for RI. It is fine when its new, especially with new boots (7m) and gloves (mitts). I have never had a problem with the hood seals leaking. They seem pretty tight. But its peak warm life is probably less (two winters maybe depending on how much you use it, this is my 3rd winter with it and I can tell its not going much longer into December).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RIsurfer View Post
    I dont really understand the concept of a 5/4 wetsuit with a detachable hood, personally. A 5/4 is something i dont start wearing until the water hits 50 and bottoms out in the upper 30. I may peel back the hood on a sunny day while talking in between sets, but at some point in just every session its getting put back on and most sessions it just stays on.

Detachable hood 5/4 sounds like a central / northern California thing with a lot of days of 48-52 degree water and blue sunny windless 60 degree days. Not east coast conditions, and definately not Rhode Island! BRRR!
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 6, 2012 at 02:45 PM.

Good luck with your new suit. I've read many raves abount the Mutant, but agree with mitchell's view. I know it's tough finding a good fitting suit at your age knowing you will out grow it by the next season. My son out grew his new Xcel Infinity XZip 2 543 after using it about 10 times last winter. It's a size 14, PM if anyone is interested.

I'm actually more comfortable when I go from my Rip Curl 4/3 with hood tucked in - to my Rip Curl 6/5/4 with hood attached. Even tho it's overkill this early, I have a ton more movement in my neck in the 6/5/4.

I have a mutant 4/3. Be carful of the zippers as they break of easily.I soap mine up every time I put it on. Mine is pretty shot now but lasted a good year and change.

I got a deal on a Patagonia R4, used to have an xcel 5/4 which was great. The patagonia isnt as flexible but is by far the warmest suit ive ever worn by a longshot, hope it holds up bc now i cant afford food it cost so much