LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Heard kelly Slater quote that the guy that can switch stance will push the sport forward. Its hard but not impossible just requires a differerent use of muscles and focus.

Images
    I try skating switch in order to walk the board and ride goofy when I'm riding the log. I can do it for a bit goofy but it's mainly just trimming and holding on.

if you have trouble riding backside, one of those asymmetrical boards like Ekstrom's design at hydronamica might help

Quote Originally Posted by motivated2surf View Post
    I started surfing as a goofy foot but I'm wondering if my surfing would have progressed more as a regular footed surfer because of the rights in NJ. I'm also starting to think that regular foot may have been better and more natural. Has anyone ever switched from one stance to the other after surfing one way for a while? Are there any people who can ride either stance?
    Keep working on riding backside. Im a regular foot and ride a lot of lefts in mass takes a lot longer to learn than going frontside but there's a lot more nice lefts up this way now my backside riding is as good as my frontside. If you do try switchfoot start on a longboard I've messed around a few times with it definitly takes some getting used to. Check out matt meola's innersections video he has some great switchfoot rides some of them he switches mid air. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    . . .I saw someone pull it off on a shortboard a couple of weeks ago for the first time in my life. . . .
    I was just reading an article about Mike Hynson and what he's been up to for the last 50 years and the boards he's currently shaping (this is what happens when I work all weekend, I'm useless on Monday). They had a picture of him. I knew that he lived in my neighborhood. I had no idea what he looked like. The guy switchfooting on the short board the other day, was an old, long, haired dude. I'm pretty sure that guy was Hynson. I see him all the time, I’ve even said hi in passing. I had no idea. I’m gonna ask him next time I see him out there if he is who I think he is.

Images
    I surf goofy and skate regular but have never had much luck switching it up on either board, maybe I'm just weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    I surf goofy and skate regular but have never had much luck switching it up on either board, maybe I'm just weird though.
    That is kinda strange, i skated goofy and when i transitioned to surfing it was only natural to stick with it, never even considered going regular. Seeing as you can do both (surf goofy / skate regular) i'd think you could go switch no problem (on both skate and surf boards), but i could be wrong. Just a little practice is probably all it would take.

You are super weird! That makes no sense. You are either regular or goofy... You're a freak of nature!

surf goofy...skate regular...actually used to surf regular as well till I was 18 or 19 and had some major ear surgery and balance issues...switched to goofy because it felt more normal on the 1st street rights in rode in High school and college

Images
    Ha, thanks nynj but that's what I do and it works for me. I started surfing before skating and don't really know why I switched but that's just what worked for me. Maybe I'll start practicing switch at both and eventually make it work.