LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Post UH OH! New Jersey Beachfront Rebuilding vs. Beach Replenishment vs. Beach Fees!

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/12/166988...-hurricane-san

Heard this story this am, thought it might interest my East Coast boyeeez to the North if you all haven't caught it yet.

Discuss.....
    Last edited by Erock; Dec 12, 2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Can't seem to complete a sentence....

As much as I hate paying for the beach I have come to notice that the few weeks it is free before memorial day, every scum bag on the east coast flock to the beach and leave their f*ck!ng trash all over the place and it's absolutely appalling. I agree moving sands a waste of time just as much as the next guy but I think charging for badges is necessary to keep dirtbags from doing whatever they please and keep the few guys who drives round emptying garbage in the heat of the day in business.

I'm ok with them charging reasonable beach access fees to cover lifeguards, clean-up, etc. That shouldn't fall on just the homeowners. However, they should set a reasonable limit and towns who charge above that limit and do not provide sufficient access, parking, bathrooms, etc... should not get a dime of state or federal money. Taxpayers shouldn't pay to fix Sea Bright beaches when you can't park there in the summer unless you pay up to a beach club. Sea Bright, Bay Head, and Mantaloking come to mind as some of the worst offenders. Sea Bright tops the list.

NJ charging for beach access will never change, too many years gone by of them relying on that income. the only variable will be that if certain beaches aren't really accessible/usable, how can you charge for access? what exactly are you paying for? should make for an interesting summer..

Quote Originally Posted by foamdust View Post
    I'm ok with them charging reasonable beach access fees to cover lifeguards, clean-up, etc. That shouldn't fall on just the homeowners. However, they should set a reasonable limit and towns who charge above that limit and do not provide sufficient access, parking, bathrooms, etc... should not get a dime of state or federal money. Taxpayers shouldn't pay to fix Sea Bright beaches when you can't park there in the summer unless you pay up to a beach club. Sea Bright, Bay Head, and Mantaloking come to mind as some of the worst offenders. Sea Bright tops the list.
    I agree with this fully. Oh and if you want to get on a Mantoloking beach, just be polite to the person checking badges and say "I'm only going in the water, not sitting on the beach" and they'll almost always let you on if you're holding a board. I'm sure you can get away with that at the others you mentioned too.

I'm always amazed at this state's use (or misuse, depending on how you see it) of Eminent Domain. I guess it all comes down to local authorities... compare Long Branch and the whole beachfront redevelopment plan there, to Sea Bright, and the meaningless access points and complete lack of amenities for miles of beach. No parking, no restrooms, no water, no lifeguards... while a strip of land once owned by the Railroad sits idle, claimed by the homeowners across the street. They'll take peoples homes away in LB, but won't take a vacant, useless strip of land away in order to provide federally mandated access to public beaches.

Astounding... There's only one reason to keep that strip of land private: Exclusivity.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

http://www.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf..._river_default

speaking of Long Branch (born and raised)..they are looking for upgraded boardwalk to be finished in 2014, most likely. beachgoers will have the beach, but not boardwalk to use this summer.

All those poor NJ surfers and residents are brainwashed about beach fees. In California they have much larger/wider beaches, millions more beach goers ALL year round, not just in the summer and there are no beach fees. That's what taxes are for and NJ still has higher taxes. The beaches in HB are raked every morning, trash trucks drive around on the sand and lifeguards cruise the beaches in vehicles in the winter. We get people from LA. and every other inland city and sure I have walked by a pair of used diapers, but what are you going to do, that's just the way some people are. It's not a reason for extra fees.
    The NJ lifeguarding is a joke with their little flagged off sections for swimming. Might as well be a pool.
    That's why I only surfed there in the dead of winter. I wish I had a suggestion on how NJ surfers could change things, but it's pretty ingrained in the culture I think.
    Last edited by ECkneelo; Dec 12, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

I don't have much problem with beach fees within reason. One problem is that state law requires the towns to use that money solely for the purpose of maintaining and patrolling the beaches. The problem is, no one audits this. No one is really checking what the towns are spending the money on. Belmar a few years ago got sued for spending the money on all sorts of things unrelated to the beach. The town I surf most often is crazy in the summer with the amount of employees (many related to local homeowners). Seriously, there are two kids in the badge booth, then another kid in a chair at the beach entrance checking badges then more patrolling the sand.

Anything that will keep the crowds thinner I am all for...we need stinkin badges.