Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ECkneelo View Post
    Yep, I'm against user fees. I shouldn't have to pay every time I want to go surfing.
    Of course no one wants to pay, but this is where your assumption is wrong. The reality is that most of the surfers don't have to pay to surf. Many people surf before or after work, midweek when tags aren't necessary.

Surfing is expensive as it is and not as many would do it if they had to pay every time they went.

Quote Originally Posted by ECkneelo View Post
    Yep, I'm against user fees. I shouldn't have to pay every time I want to go surfing. Some things in life should be free. The beach communities already rape the public with all the exorbitant hotel fees, high cost of food and everything else they can charge for only at the beach. You guys even have pay to use toilets. Geeeez!
    Once again, NJ is the only state that has beach tags. What I think is back east they think the beach is for vacations, whereas here on the west coast it's a lifestyle, a daily, or weekly occurrence.
    Isnt it better here on the east coast that locals have the beach to themselves for 9 months of year as opposed to your west coast lifestyle where EVERYBODY surfs and thinks they are joecool all year round? Your argument smells like home sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Whatever gets you through the day bud. I tell myself that what I got is better than the North Shore; I know it isn't true, but it makes me feel better.
    Justification is a wonderful thing isnt it!

Republican Sen. Michael Doherty says he has long been frustrated that N.J. is one of the few states that allow communities to charge beach fees. "The Jersey shore is the domain of single-family homes and they really are not welcoming to outsiders and day-trippers coming in," Doherty says. "They don't want you in their town. That's why there's no place to park, no place to use the restroom, and they charge you seven, 12 dollars just to get on the beach for the day."

yea cause there are sooooo many locals who take up the parking (its you ****ing bennys taking up the parking) and oh yeah i dont want you at my beach cuz you ruin it, leave trash and are scumbags who use my home as your vacation…so yeah go **** yourself senator

I feel that reasonable beach fees would be fine, like $2/day or $25 for a season. But when you are getting into $75+ per badge, and have a family of four, things are getting out of control. We already know the misuse of these funds, that there are surpluses. And you're right, these fees only protect the wealthy. It doesn't cost that much to pay a guard for a summer, or for a high school kid to drive around on a 4-wheeler and change garbage bags. Government is corrupt, especially in NJ. People are lazy in local government, that's a fact. They want their pensions, and their office jobs, and their raises every year for no reason. They don't want to rock the boat.

Our only hope is for Christie to review this area of the state, and make corrections like he has in other parts. In the meantime, let's investigate where previous money for these towns are:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...9bb2963f4.html

one local benefit to NJ charging for beach access, is it keeps all the tourists funneled to those certain popular beaches where they think they have to go. locals can enjoy other beaches without it being tourist time.

and i've never paid to surf once..morning, afternoon, night, midweek, weekend - never.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrr View Post
    Of course no one wants to pay, but this is where your assumption is wrong. The reality is that most of the surfers don't have to pay to surf. Many people surf before or after work, midweek when tags aren't necessary.

Surfing is expensive as it is and not as many would do it if they had to pay every time they went.
    See that's what I was thinking ...beach tags are mostly paid by non-surfers. But we pay state income and sales taxes, so beach tags actually may not hit surfers as hard as you think. A beach funded completely by local taxes might actually hit surfers harder, and completely let off the hordes of tourists using the beach at any given time.
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbug View Post
    that's because they pay for the roads with a gas tax. Gas in California is about $2 more expensive than NJ, per gallon. It's ridiculous.
    NJ has some of the cheapest gas in the country.
    Yet SC has much cheaper gas than NJ, and no toll roads. All states have a heavy gas tax, and the feds take an even larger chunk. I used to work in the oil and gas industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    NJ has gas tax too, the price of gas is close to what I pay here--although NC has a higher gas tax I believe. And yes, that is how we pay for our roads. It's a little more transparent in respect to accounting and accountability.
    Toll roads are BS. NJ, VA, and PA all have many toll roads, and these roads seem to be maintained just as poorly as the non toll roads. Then there are the bridge tolls (Delaware to NJ = rape).

In regards to paying $8-$12 per day to use the beach, I think that is asinine. I don't think the beach communities should get any more assistance from the state or feds if they are charging for use. Why should I have to see my taxes go toward their maintenance, when I still have to pay to use it? The largest cost of beach maintenance is restoration. The only reason there is restoration, is because wealthy people built houses right up to the water.
    As if I needed more reasons to dislike NJ...

The beach should be free. Forever.

yes but you in cali have all year round income and larger amounts of tourists, us nj people have a small 3 month window of large income from the coast and the revenue is vital to the small bussiness/beach up keep,no brainwashing just simple economics.