LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Your just plain wrong Dave. Really, your trying to say you have more people going to more square footage of beach in NJ? Keep kidding yourself. You didn't make your argument very clear either.
    Like I said, beach maintenance should already be paid for with your state taxes that come from a general fund or something, not a beach community charging for what should be free. And to further trample your argument, yes, California does YEAR ROUND maintenance with zero beach tags, unlike NJ which only has to maintain the beaches for 3-4 months. That means it requires LESS money for NJ Dave. But your a shining example of the problem with NJ.
    Is it fair to charge the whole state? Sure is, it just requires a tiny bit from a bigger pool. Don't like it? Well I don't like my tax dollars going to Pakistan, or Egypt, but they do, but I digress...

Here in NC the beach towns pay for lifeguards, trash pickup and public facilities (if any) through a combination of property taxes, rental taxes (hotels, rental houses etc) and parking fees so it spreads the cost burden between residents, other property owners and tourists. Heck, they even wind up with enough money to improve their facilities like they have done with the bathhouse and parking lot right at the Dow Pipe in CB and improvements in the public bathhouses in WB. I guess they realized that they can attract more people and thus more money through having better access and facilities to serve beachgoers.

There again, NC doesn't have close to the history of cronyism and corruption as NJ. Do NJ beachgoers ever think to look into the balance sheets and find out exactly where all that money is going?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ECkneelo View Post
    beach maintenance should already be paid for with your state taxes that come from a general fund or something, not a beach community charging for what should be free.
    Are you against all park user fees, public golf course fees, public parking lot fees etc? Whats wrong with making the actual USERS of a publicly funded amenity like a beach or park pay a slightly higher amount of the maintenance than the general public? I dont see anything wrong with state/local taxes providing some of the support (we all benefit to some extent from the economic activity provided by beaches and tourism, and then the direct users (beach goers) adding another layer of support since they have actually chosen to go use the beach.

Completely flat funded state tax support of beachs, especially beaches with expensive parking permit systems for non-owners, limited access beaches that (while technically open to the public) but where the amount of available parking or restrooms means the vast majorit of users are local property owners/renters seems to me a bit of a skewed funding mechanism.

first of all if u guys hate beach badges,dont go to protected beaches.maybe some of u kooks need lifegaurds on standby because u cant swim or idk..i dont go on beaches with lifegaurds,save me the trouble.dont want to deal with crowds and bennies go to an unprotected beach.beach replinishment is the standard for jersey.they destroy waves and create gnarly shorebreak.and one more thing.i say leave the seaside boardwalk just the way it is.the bennies wont be comin out messin up our beaches.i dont hang out on the boardwalk anyway im in the water...theres plenty of houses that need rebuild.they are donating all this money and the victims dont see a fukin dime!!cold hard truth.i remember the days u didnt see a surfer or sponger for weeks on end,back when i started.nowadays surfers are as common as used tampons on the beach.most of u kooks feel the need to record your session surfin 2 ft choppy blown out shytty conditions and then got the nerve to talk shyt about the wildlyfe crew with rave n colin using skis to do towats!!well while u kiddies were hiding in attics,my boys were down at the beach pullin into the heaviest barrels ever recorded off the northeast.so plz keep ya damn mouths shut

"There again, NC doesn't have close to the history of cronyism and corruption as NJ. Do NJ beachgoers ever think to look into the balance sheets and find out exactly where all that money is going?"

I think you hit the nail on the head. "Taxation without representation".

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    There again, NC doesn't have close to the history of cronyism and corruption as NJ. Do NJ beachgoers ever think to look into the balance sheets and find out exactly where all that money is going?
    Sounds like the Mafia to me, but i'm sure that's all TV and movie stuff right? HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by ECkneelo View Post
    Sorry if you misunderstood what I meant. I wasn't ragging the lifeguards. I am sure they didn't come up with the idea to have tiny flagged off swimming areas and to blow the whistle when people go past the shorebreak. That has been my experience in NJ.
    Your welcome to experience the way it is here in Cali if you ever come out. Totally different. People can swim wherever they want, plenty of lifeguards here to deal with it.
    The difference is the STATE of California owns Cal's beaches. In NJ the beaches are owned by the towns/municipalities. The State owned beaches like Island Beach State Park charge for parking, but you can walk right in if you want without a fee. Sandy Hook is owned by the Federal Government, and they charge for parking, but you can also walk into Sandy Hook for free. The beach fees by the towns have always been a cash grab.
    Since the State of NJ is funding much of the repairs from Sandy, along with the Federal money, beaches in NJ should be transferred to ownership by the State and out of the towns control. Then then would be free. This would also limit the liability of the towns (which they are paranoid about for getting sued if someone drowns- hence the ridiculous roped off swimming areas with overzealous lifeguards).

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    "There again, NC doesn't have close to the history of cronyism and corruption as NJ. Do NJ beachgoers ever think to look into the balance sheets and find out exactly where all that money is going?"

I think you hit the nail on the head. "Taxation without representation".
    again- beaches in NC are owned by the STATE, not the towns.

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    first of all if u guys hate beach badges,dont go to protected beaches.maybe some of u kooks need lifegaurds on standby because u cant swim or idk..i dont go on beaches with lifegaurds,save me the trouble.dont want to deal with crowds and bennies go to an unprotected beach.beach replinishment is the standard for jersey.they destroy waves and create gnarly shorebreak.and one more thing.i say leave the seaside boardwalk just the way it is.the bennies wont be comin out messin up our beaches.i dont hang out on the boardwalk anyway im in the water...theres plenty of houses that need rebuild.they are donating all this money and the victims dont see a fukin dime!!cold hard truth.i remember the days u didnt see a surfer or sponger for weeks on end,back when i started.nowadays surfers are as common as used tampons on the beach.most of u kooks feel the need to record your session surfin 2 ft choppy blown out shytty conditions and then got the nerve to talk shyt about the wildlyfe crew with rave n colin using skis to do towats!!well while u kiddies were hiding in attics,my boys were down at the beach pullin into the heaviest barrels ever recorded off the northeast.so plz keep ya damn mouths shut
    get pitted, so pitted.
    Whabap.
    Last edited by stinkbug; Dec 13, 2012 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Are you against all park user fees, public golf course fees, public parking lot fees etc? Whats wrong with making the actual USERS of a publicly funded amenity like a beach or park pay a slightly higher amount of the maintenance than the general public? I dont see anything wrong with state/local taxes providing some of the support (we all benefit to some extent from the economic activity provided by beaches and tourism, and then the direct users (beach goers) adding another layer of support since they have actually chosen to go use the beach.

Completely flat funded state tax support of beachs, especially beaches with expensive parking permit systems for non-owners, limited access beaches that (while technically open to the public) but where the amount of available parking or restrooms means the vast majorit of users are local property owners/renters seems to me a bit of a skewed funding mechanism.
    I've spent alot of time in Delware. I prefer having to pay to get on the beach than to pay for that permit parking system they have in place. Or having to pay to park at IRI.