LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    am i missing something? when he went to the american/mexican border the mexican authorities took the gun and arrested him. So technically was he ever carrying an illegal firearm in Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Big, slow ground birds, like turkey... or a slug gun for deer or bigger game... like bandito.
    I understand why he thought he needed a gun and what it was for and it wasn't quail; but you can't just take a gun to other countries. You don't have the rights to possess a firearm that are enshrined here, Mexico tries to keep the populace unarmed for a reason. I remember when the Federales burnt Chiapas. The smoke covered Texas for a month. What was he gonna do when he got to the next border or the one after that? Unless he did like Erock said and kept it on the DL, it was not going to make it to Costa. You fundamentally have 0 rights; cash is king. The cops are the bandits. The army are narcos. There are mass gravesites all along the border. Our border patrol is in gun fights. Our citizens have been kidnapped and murdered. Goin to Mexico ain't what it was when I was a kid or as young man or even 10 years ago. I used to love Mexico, I wouldn't take my family there now. I'm even a little leery about the resort towns these days. I know old dudes who have been goin to Baja their whole lives that don't head down there no more. You don't just load up the 4x4 with all your toys and head South. For all we know, that guy’s in jail because somebody took a look at what was described in the article as an antique fire-arm: “belonged to his great-grandfather” and decided that they liked the look of it and wanted to confiscate it and he looked at them funny.

I remember when I was 4, maybe 5 we all piled in my Dad's suburban and took a road trip from Corpus all the way to Mexico City. Our biggest worry in those days was running out of gas because there weren't enough gas stations on the main highways, so we had jerry cans. I remember the smell of it in the back of the ‘burban and the taste of the ice cold Mexican sodas at the gas stations. You had to chug them because the owners needed to get the bottles back so that they could recover the deposit. Back in the days when you let the kids run wild all over the car. Who cared if the 3 year old had a car seat, there wasn't another car on the road for 10-20 miles. I climbed the pyramid of the sun at Teotihuacán, powerful memory. It used to take 5-10 minutes, sometimes less to get across the border; either way.

Those days are gone. I'm sorry, I miss ‘em. I wish they'd ponied up the 1500$ and shipped that RV to Costa. I bet they all do. That's all a different world down there now. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    am i missing something? when he went to the american/mexican border the mexican authorities took the gun and arrested him. So technically was he ever carrying an illegal firearm in Mexico?
    He crossed the border, then they arrested him. If the gun was just a little bit longer, he would have been ok. They should have just took the gun and let him go.

When a Mexican comes to this country, he gets a job and free healthcare. I think Americans who travel to Mexico should be treated as welcomed guests, not criminals. I wouldn't go there.

This is an unfortunate situation, regardless of his personal interests & military ties. Just another example of how not "crossing your T's & dotting your I's" can screw you over. I do think that Mexico took it a little too extreme, considering they arrested the group when they could have asked them to turn around; especially since they had paperwork and they were legally trying to bring the firearm with them. Plus, Mexicans cross the border all the time. I feel bad for those out in Southern California who have to deal with the foot traffic, among other life threatening issues due to border control. This past summer, a client of mine actually found an American head in a freezer box off a trail near San Diego. She told me that walking the trails at night can be very dangerous becuase of the drug smugglers/illegal aliens that will take another life in order to be "unseen." This is the United States of America - let's get our OWN back & put an end to all of this. By "this," I am referring to all the immigration laws that benefit those who come here illegally. We don't arrest those who come here illegally - we provide jobs & free healthcare. The Great Wall of North America.
    Last edited by dlrouen; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Does anyone know if Costa Rica is as bad as Mexico ? If not, it would be much better to just fly there instead of driving. Plus you'll spend more time surfing and less time driving. I hate driving more than an hour or so. That's just me though.

Images
    Being from Texas I heard the story of the guy who got arrested for bringing ammo back. That was crazy. He was there for years. His family would give money and they would ask for more. I think you have to take the gun/no gun ideology out of it and just be a little street smart. Either hide it or don't bring it. Personally I vote for a plane straight there and a surf resort. Not ever interested in going to Mexico again. I definately feel for the guy though. It's easy to criticize someone else's mistake after they made it. It's not so easy when your the one saying"why didn't I do that differently".

Quote Originally Posted by dlrouen View Post
    We don't arrest those who come here illegally - we provide jobs & free healthcare. The Great Wall of North America.
    Yep, time to build a wall indeed. It would cost a fortune to build, but would pay for itself in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay4060 View Post
    Some report sited the barrel as 24" which is 6" longer than BATF regulation while Mexico legal limit is 25". I know when you cross the Canadian border have to have a US Customs Doc declaring the firearm (sporting long guns only) to enter the Country. As far as Mexico, don't know but you would have thought the US Border patrol would have known Mexico's firearm regulations entering Mexico and would have given some clarification. Mexico is a mecca for sport hunting although has dropped off some 50% due to all the cartel/drug violence in resent years as those who do venture there usually the outfitter provides the shotguns or rifles to avoid legal problems. Its a sad set of circumstances, the Mexican and US State Dept to allow this vet to stay in prison for 4 months is tragic. Oh, the irony, all the Fast & Furious weapons that were allowed to cross the border and this poor surfer been in jail for 4 months. Now as far as Costa, have heard firearms are not allowed period, extremely strict guns and hunting regulations. If it was me, a short barrel shotgun is no match against bandits/drug runners who are well armed with full auto weapons, just say'n. The extortion is no surprise to keep him alive in prison, a friend cousin was kidnapped in Mexico a few years ago and the family paid $100,000 for his release.

If it was me, would have done more researched bringing the shotgun across the border and taken a safer route and flown over the cluster #$%*# anyway.

Since this has reached national attention hope he's home by Christmas
    Last edited by goofy footer; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:08 PM.

sounds like a complete f up all around. that guy will get realeased. no way he does 12 years. i will be surprised if he is sentenced to do any time other than what he is serving now.

mexico is back to being the wild west. Maybe everybody should be allowed to carry.
    " it was a fair fight sherrif"

Another aspect too look at here--he's in Matamoros. I've spent some time there helping build a hospital and I have spent some time in it's even more lawless neighbor, Reynosa. Seriously, if you are sitting in Brownsville and look over the border toward Matamoros it looks like the city is burning--because it always is in one area or another. Both of these cities are wholly run by cartels, the Mexican government has absolutely NO influence there and barely any over it's own border agents. I remember the only way to get a wave-through back into the states was to hold a Benjamin out the window, otherwise it was SEARCH TIME (searching for how much $$$ they can get out of you before letting you go). It's not a pleasant experience especially when you are literally 200 yards from your home country.

This whole situation is completely effed up and unfortunately the poor guy is languishing until some gubmint bureaucrapp can get off their lazy hides and get the political will to make the one freaking phone call it will take to get this guy released. His family is probably wearing out Western Union keeping their son alive in that prison.

That's why I'm sticking with air and sea travel. At least on a boat it's considered a federal offense in most other countries to get caught with something illegal, so you're dealing directly with the federal government and not some kangaroo local government.