LOGIN | REGISTER

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,372

    Interesting look at beach protection and restoration

    http://spinner.cofc.edu/CGOInquiry/h...er=webcluster&

    I know we have enough threads on fixing our beaches, but I found this while researching the local jetties. It is a nice lesson on the ways engineers have been trying to save the beaches, and the consequences of each modification. Hope this is good info for some.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Atlantic Ocean
    Posts
    263
    the only thing we know is that you never really KNOW how man made structure is going to affect ****

  3. #3
    nature > man

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    LI NY
    Posts
    127
    Good read, thanks for posting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
    the only thing we know is that you never really KNOW how man made structure is going to affect ****
    Technically, we do know a great deal, and you can see that in the article. I think the point is that there will always be a consequence for going against nature. The real issue is that the people deciding how to fix things don't seem to understand this. One topic not covered here, due to the research being focused on Folly, is what the pros and cons of an artificial reef would be. I know many of the pros, but only a couple cons. It is good that we have universities studying these topics. I wish my major in college would have been related to geoengineering in the ocean.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    milton delaware
    Posts
    1,372
    Images
    262
    Brew Engineer - you might Find Orrin Pilkey's Book "Living with the South Carolina Coast" a good read. Orrin is a professor emeritus at Duke, and i sconsidered by many a national expert on shoreline protection and management, although lately he seems to be more the national critic. He has a VERY strong position against the hardening and general intervention on shorelines.

    The cool thing about these books (he's writting the "Living With the ...Coasts" series for many states besides South Carolina) is that he goes Town by Town even beach by beach and inlet by inlet for the entire state and summarizes what has been done historically to stabilize the shoreline and the impacts/consequences. There getting pretty old by now so are more of historical interest, but negative impacts are negative impacts...whether they were done this year or 30 years ago.

    I see Amazon has a few used ones for just a few bucks.

    http://www.amazon.com/Living-South-C.../dp/0822318156
    Last edited by mitchell; Dec 16, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

  7. #7
    hey i got a good idea on how to fix the beaches and save awhole lot of money. NOTHING YOU CANT FIGHT NATURE. AND YOUR AN ASS HOLE IF U THINK YOU CAN. MOVE AWAY FROM THE BEACH AND THEY'ER WONT BE ANY PROBLEM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell View Post
    Brew Engineer - you might Find Orrin Pilkey's Book "Living with the South Carolina Coast" a good read. Orrin is a professor emeritus at Duke, and i sconsidered by many a national expert on shoreline protection and management, although lately he seems to be more the national critic. He has a VERY strong position against the hardening and general intervention on shorelines.

    The cool thing about these books (he's writting the "Living With the ...Coasts" series for many states besides South Carolina) is that he goes Town by Town even beach by beach and inlet by inlet for the entire state and summarizes what has been done historically to stabilize the shoreline and the impacts/consequences. There getting pretty old by now so are more of historical interest, but negative impacts are negative impacts...whether they were done this year or 30 years ago.

    I see Amazon has a few used ones for just a few bucks.

    http://www.amazon.com/Living-South-C.../dp/0822318156
    Thanks man. I will check that out. Very interesting topic.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,372
    Quote Originally Posted by ridedasurf View Post
    hey i got a good idea on how to fix the beaches and save awhole lot of money. NOTHING YOU CANT FIGHT NATURE. AND YOUR AN ASS HOLE IF U THINK YOU CAN. MOVE AWAY FROM THE BEACH AND THEY'ER WONT BE ANY PROBLEM.
    No need to get angry. There are ways to live with nature, which humans fail at in many cases. However, it is still worth research in this area. We all know nature is going to beat man, but there may be ways to engineer the beaches to benefit everyone. There doesn't seem to be much money spent on this type of research, but it could benefit us in many ways.