LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vintage 1970's Jerry Lopez Lightning Bolt?

I have a line on a vintage 70's lightning bolt, supposedly signed by Mr. Pipeline himself. The guy wants 600$. Here's some photos. Haven't seen the board in person yet, it's up in OrCo. I was wondering, anybody know if this thing's real? I have no idea. The signature looks right from comparisons I made online, but who can tell. I'd say it's worth it based on the price. Would definitely be a wall hanger. I know that the old diamond tail design was on some of the earliest Lightning Bolt boards. I don't know, kind of lost on this one. Lot of cheddar for a board I can't ride, but if it's a real Lopez Lightning Bolt, that's a steal. I have no idea what the bottom of the board looks like. Guy says it's an 8 out of 10. In 15 years might pay for a semester or two of college.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.jpg
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 17, 2012 at 09:39 PM.

Looks legit, if you had a close up of the lam on the logo it would help even further. As far as the price, these days its only what someone is willing to pay. I have been collecting boards for quite sometime & the value has only depreciated over the past couple years. Eventually the value would increase but don't count on it being an investment though. Definitely a cool board & if you are stoked on it then buy it!

Images
    quick online search turned this up, Caveat Emptor:

"Just a heads up on the Lightning Bolts. They were licensed out to a variety of individuals, with “Pure Source Certified” licensees making them in California, South Africa, Australia and Brazil.
    A lot of the Pure Source were made out of the California made by Danny Brawner, who worked for Hobie, who had the license for the USA mainland and was most likely shaped by Mickey Munoz or Terry Martin. It is very rare to find an actual Gerry Lopez shaped one, and even in Hawaii, there were others shaping them under the authorization of Gerry and Jack Shipley who owned the Bolt label in the early formative days. During it’s hey day of the mid to later 70′s, over 30 different shapers pumped out Bolts: “The Most Frequently Tubed Surfboards in the World”. They had three distinct categories at one stage, known as “Units”, with the “name” surfer/shapers at the top category, the reliable shapers in the next category and the up-and-coming or journeymen shapers in the third category.
    Unit 1: Gerry Lopez, Reno Abellira, Barry Kanaiaupuni, Tom Parrish, Jeff Hakman, Owl Chapman, Don Koplein Price: $190.
    Unit 2: Rory Russel, Brian Hamilton, Tom Eberly, Peter Trombly, Wayne Santos, Robbie Burns, Cowan Chang, Bill Barnfield, Mark Angel Price: $175
    Unit 3: Steve Walden, Russel Kim, Tom Nellis, Brian Hinde, Joe Blair, Bill Stonebraker, Tony Anjo, John Carper, Price $160
    So, there are a lot of Bolts floating around out there and while everyone claims it is a “real” Gerry Lopez, only those in the know, really know!

Randy Rarick
    Hawaii Surfing Promotions"

Quote Originally Posted by oipaul View Post
    quick online search turned this up, Caveat Emptor:

"Just a heads up on the Lightning Bolts. They were licensed out to a variety of individuals, with “Pure Source Certified” licensees making them in California, South Africa, Australia and Brazil.
    A lot of the Pure Source were made out of the California made by Danny Brawner, who worked for Hobie, who had the license for the USA mainland and was most likely shaped by Mickey Munoz or Terry Martin. It is very rare to find an actual Gerry Lopez shaped one, and even in Hawaii, there were others shaping them under the authorization of Gerry and Jack Shipley who owned the Bolt label in the early formative days. During it’s hey day of the mid to later 70′s, over 30 different shapers pumped out Bolts: “The Most Frequently Tubed Surfboards in the World”. They had three distinct categories at one stage, known as “Units”, with the “name” surfer/shapers at the top category, the reliable shapers in the next category and the up-and-coming or journeymen shapers in the third category.
    Unit 1: Gerry Lopez, Reno Abellira, Barry Kanaiaupuni, Tom Parrish, Jeff Hakman, Owl Chapman, Don Koplein Price: $190.
    Unit 2: Rory Russel, Brian Hamilton, Tom Eberly, Peter Trombly, Wayne Santos, Robbie Burns, Cowan Chang, Bill Barnfield, Mark Angel Price: $175
    Unit 3: Steve Walden, Russel Kim, Tom Nellis, Brian Hinde, Joe Blair, Bill Stonebraker, Tony Anjo, John Carper, Price $160
    So, there are a lot of Bolts floating around out there and while everyone claims it is a “real” Gerry Lopez, only those in the know, really know!

Randy Rarick
    Hawaii Surfing Promotions"
    Thanks man. That's kind of why I'm leery of it. I know that the demand was so great in the 70's that there were a lot of knock-offs getting made then too. Some over here. Just seems like too good a deal, supposedly the signature is under the glass. You look at the ceiling of SurfNSea out your way and they've got the same board up above for 1500$.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:23 AM. Reason: I > e != I < c; else neighbor OR weigh

Great post! Cool board! What a steal if its legit. Interesting to see how many of today's house hold names actually were making bolts back then..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I have a line on a vintage 70's lightning bolt, supposedly signed by Mr. Pipeline himself. The guy wants 600$. Here's some photos. Haven't seen the board in person yet, it's up in OrCo. I was wondering, anybody know if this thing's real? I have no idea. The signature looks right from comparisons I made online, but who can tell. I'd say it's worth it based on the price. Would definitely be a wall hanger. I know that the old diamond tail design was on some of the earliest Lightning Bolt boards. I don't know, kind of lost on this one. Lot of cheddar for a board I can't ride, but if it's a real Lopez Lightning Bolt, that's a steal. I have no idea what the bottom of the board looks like. Guy says it's an 8 out of 10. In 15 years might pay for a semester or two of college.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.jpg
    if he spelled his name with a "J", that should tell you something about the authenticity. My friend George once bought John Voight's car

http://www.boardcollector.com/2012/0...signature.html

Found this on a quickie search. Didn't have time to call in a forensic handwriting expert.

Hope it helps. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    if he spelled his name with a "J", that should tell you something about the authenticity. My friend George once bought John Voight's car
    LOL, good catch. Now we know that at least this post is a fake!

Couple more photos, gonna see the dude Thursday. We're gonna meet at a local shop. I know the owner and he knows vintage boards, so we'll see. Any more input would be appreciated. Thing's pretty cherry, one fixed ding on the underside.

photo 4.jpg

photo 5.jpg

photo 6.jpg

A pure source with Lopez lams. Prolly a Terry Martin straight from the Hobie factory, t'was a real beaut; but not worth the money the dude was asking. Poor kid paid too much at 500$ off some guy who swore up and down that he'd had the signature authenticated. Well, it was a real Gerry Lopez signature, it had just been silk screened onto rice paper. Bummer.